Author Topic: Homeland agency pulled back extremism dictionary  (Read 2707 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Homeland agency pulled back extremism dictionary
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
I wonder if Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh was on the list, or are they on the Super Secert list that does not get published.  Seems like the HSD is the gang that cannot shoot straight.

Homeland agency pulled back extremism dictionary
Black power, white supremacists, abortion foes make list
By Audrey Hudson (Contact) | Tuesday, May 5, 2009
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/05/homeland-pulled-back-extremism-dictionary/

WASHINGTON — The same Homeland Security Department office that categorized veterans as potential terrorists issued an earlier report that defined dozens of "extremists" ranging from black power activists to abortion foes. The report was nixed within hours and recalled from state and local law enforcement officials.

Whites and blacks, Christians and Jews, Cubans and Mexicans, along with tax-hating Americans were among several political leanings listed in the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon" that came out of the Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) in late March.

The lexicon lists definitions for key terms and phrases used by Homeland Security analysts "that addresses the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the United States," the report said.

Click here to download a PDF of "Domestic Extremism Lexicon"

Black separatism was defined as a movement that they said advocates the establishment of a separate nation within the U.S., and its members "advocate or engage in criminal activity and plot acts of violence directed toward local law enforcement" to advance their goals. Black power is a "term used by black separatists to describe their pride in, and the perceived superiority of the black race," the report said.

RELATED STORIES:
• Napolitano apologizes to veterans
• WHO urges restraint with swine flu measures
• Taliban gains unsettle neighbors

Under the listing "antiabortion extremism," the lexicon cites a movement that "advocates violence against providers of abortion-related services." It notes that some people in the movement "cite various racist and anti-Semitic beliefs to justify their criminal activities."

"The lexicon was not an authorized I&A product, and it was recalled as soon as management discovered it had been released without authorization," said Amy Kudwa, Homeland Security spokeswoman.

"This product is not, nor was it ever, in operational use," Ms. Kudwa said.

Rep. Peter T. King, New York Republican and ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the report "causes further concern that Congress needs to get to the bottom of exactly how DHS determines what intelligence products to distribute to law enforcement officials around the country."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Homeland agency pulled back extremism dictionary
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »
Whites and blacks, Christians and Jews, Cubans and Mexicans, along with tax-hating Americans were among several political leanings listed in the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon" that came out of the Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) in late March.

So along with veterans, 2A supporters and people who know their rights, that makes just about everybody, doesn't it?

Jeesh, talk about an Us vs. Them mentality.  :mad:

Well, I am glad that HSA got smacked on the nose with a collectively rolled-up newspaper.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »
• Napolitano apologizes to veterans

If this were an R. administration, she'd have been forced to resign by the PeeCee furor.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:15:35 AM »
What is most noteworthy about all this is that regardless of the apologies, retractions etc, the ideas have been briefly exposed in the open.

Had action been taken against the writers and approvers at the highest level, and those persons been exposed publicly, one could at least say it had all been properly addressed. As it stands, the ideas are apparently allowed to remain festering at the source, and once again no longer in the open.

As a veteran, it is nice to know my gov is truly out of the closet finally.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »
We're all on "the list" for being on APS if nothing else. I'd been kinda careful what I post but screw 'em. They don't have the resources to track everyone they think is their enemy; and they're probably ignoring the real threats.

What worries me is the gov. controlling the 'net. When the SHTF they can shut it down so nobody knows whats going on widespread!

(tinfoil hat off!)

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Those who define the terms and rules used in a debate control the debate.  When you can define the terms of the debate so that anyone who disagrees with you is an extremist, the debate is effectively over.

The next time you hear the powers that be discussing the need to crack down on extremists, to prevent them from flying or obtaining firearms or otherwise excercising their rights, remember that they are talking about you.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
We're all on "the list" for being on APS if nothing else. I'd been kinda careful what I post but screw 'em. They don't have the resources to track everyone they think is their enemy; and they're probably ignoring the real threats.

What worries me is the gov. controlling the 'net. When the SHTF they can shut it down so nobody knows whats going on widespread!

(tinfoil hat off!)

Stay safe.
Bob

My association with multiple causes (2nd Amendment, Pro-life, support for veterans) has already likely put me on a "list" if it exists. (Given the number of leaking reports, I seriously doubt such a "list" would be kept secret). I have no reason to fear that an innocuous website for discussion will cause me any more grief.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ronnyreagan

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
So which of the definitions in there were wrong? The Black separatism example from the article sounded right to me, and none of the ones I skimmed from the PDF stood out as incorrect.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
(U) alternative media    (U//FOUO) A term used to describe various information    
   sources that provide a forum for interpretations of events and    
   issues that differ radically from those presented in mass    
   media products and outlets.    

Based on the context of the presentation, anyone who disagrees with mass media "products and outlets" is an extremist.  So, this board and most other civil liberties/firearms board constitutes an extremist entity.

(
U) decentralized    (U//FOUO) A movement of groups or individuals who    
terrorist movement    pursue shared ideological goals through tactics of leaderless    
   resistance independent of any larger terrorist organization.

This is in the context of a terrorist movement, yet committing acts of terrorism does not appear in the definition.  It is possible to commit lawful acts of leaderless resistance (such as participating in alternative media via a blog, going to a protest, etc).  Yet, if one is an honest citizen (no connections to terrorism) and participates in such activities, you fall squarely within this definition.  Again, members of this board could easily fall within this definition.

(U) leaderless    (U//FOUO) A strategy that stresses the importance of    
resistance    individuals and small cells acting independently and    
   anonymously outside formalized organizational structures to    
   enhance operational security and avoid detection. It is used by many types of domestic extremists.    

This is also used by many web communities, where people are anonymous (such as via their handles on this or any other board) but organize to contact legislators.  Here again, the definition is so sweeping and perjorative as to be ineffectual for its alleged intention.

(U) patriot movement    (U//FOUO) A term used by rightwing extremists to link their    
   beliefs to those commonly associated with the American    
   Revolution. The patriot movement primarily comprises    
   violent antigovernment groups such as militias and sovereign    
   citizens.    

There are many who consider themselves patriots and hold these beliefs.  However, the definition automatically leads to any such individuals being presumed to be "rightwing extremists" who are most likely members of "violent antigovernment groups." 

Taken as a whole, the definitions are so sweeping as to bring most anyone who disagrees with the government or the media within their scope.  The authors were either incompetent in terms of dealing with domestic terrorism, or overly honest in their attitudes towards government opposition.

When defendants in criminal actions (and plaintiffs in civil actions) start using this dictionary against the government, the court cases will be very interesting.  I expect to hear terms like "arbitrary," "capricious," and "chilling effect" to be thrown around quite a bit and by those wearing the robes.  This is like the Nixon and Clinton enemy lists, only on a massive scale.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
Those who define the terms and rules used in a debate control the debate.  When you can define the terms of the debate so that anyone who disagrees with you is an extremist, the debate is effectively over.

The next time you hear the powers that be discussing the need to crack down on extremists, to prevent them from flying or obtaining firearms or otherwise excercising their rights, remember that they are talking about you.

Everybody loves torture, til they become "terrorist intelligence sources" for going to Knob Creek. /waits for the cries of "But that can't happen here!"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
Trust no one--except another government worker.

And not even them; they may have benefits you don't have.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
Taken as a whole, the definitions are so sweeping as to bring most anyone who disagrees with the government or the media within their scope.  The authors were either incompetent in terms of dealing with domestic terrorism, or overly honest in their attitudes towards government opposition.

I believe they were overly honest in their attitude towards government opposition.  'If you arn't with me, you are the enemy.'

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
When push comes to shove it seems that the Dept of Homeland Oppression considers anyone who doesn't toe the government line and kiss the government's behind a potential terrorist.

In other words:

Until we are all:

Sucking at the government teat - DHO won't be happy.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online