Author Topic: Any hockey fans?  (Read 6243 times)

nico

• friend
Any hockey fans?
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
It's been a while since I've paid this much attention to the playoffs, in large part because my team (Caps) weren't contenders for a long time, but there are some pretty good series going on now.  For some reason, it makes it that much more entertaining when the teams have obvious disdain for each other, like in the Caps/Pens and Wings/Ducks series.  Who else is watching and who are you rooting for?

crt360

• friend
Re: Any hockey fans?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:35:30 AM »
I watched a little of the Wings/Ducks series.  I used to keep up with the Stars and watch a lot of playoff games, but I haven't really had time to pay much attention to pro sports of any kind lately.  Growing up in Texas, where a kid was more likely to hunt mastodon with a pointy stick than ice skate, I'm not sure where I picked up an interest in hockey.  I guess it just looked like fun.  Some friends and I invented a very similar game that we played a lot before I knew much about hockey, but we played on grass or pavement with bats (scrap lumber) and a tennis ball.  We had plenty of bruises, but managed to keep most of our teefs.  We actually have youth hockey leagues here now.
For entertainment purposes only.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »
I am a huge Caps fan. I hope they don't get over confident with a 2-0 lead.

After the Caps, I like the Leafs simply for their tradition and dedicated fan base.

My third favorite team is the Flin Flon Bombers!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »
One pissed off Wings fan here.  They got robbed last night.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
On the east coast, I like the Pens (they are my home-town team).  Though it is pretty sad to watch them self destruct yet another time.  On the other coast, I like the Hawks.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
I grew up on IHL and AHL in person, and an NHL fan on TV.  When Columbus got the Blue Jackets, I became a die hard fan.  Glad they madde the playoffs, even if the Wings kicked the hell out of them 3 of 4 games.  Hopefully, it was the start of something for the future.  Dad was a Blackhawks fan for some reason, and I have great memories of watching games with him on TV.

Now I'm pulling for the Wings to win it all.  I'd rather have lost to the champion than someone else.   :lol:

Got to say, going to a game and watching in person is one hell of a good time.  I highly recommend it.  You cannot imagine the speed of the game and the players, and the skill of those guys on skates. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »
Been season ticket holders for the Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL, since the team started in the IHL 1996.  They're down 0-3 to Manitoba in the 2nd round.  Do or die tonight.  The Wings got robbed last night.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Years ago, a buddy scored a couple of tickets to the fights, and d@mn hockey game broke out.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
I like hockey but I don't watch it much.  It is a tough sport played by real tough guys.  They make football players look like pansy crybabies......Back in the old days when I lived in Marquette MI in da UP, I watched the Marquette Iron Rangers play the Green Bay Bobcats.  They hated each other.  They played in a tin building, the Palestra, and the fights on the ice migrated to the stands many times.  Those guys were tough......chris3

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
Well if I say "Go Blades" few if any will know who I'm talking about.
I used to go to every home game when KC had an IHL team.
I watched any game that was on if there wasn't a game.
They have had very little TV time since the strike that I just catch a Blues game if I happen to be inside and not on the computer when it's on.
I have seen one playoff game this season. And the last 30 seconds of that very long Ducks-Wings game.(Came in at the right time on that one.)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
KC Blades.  I think they were still around when Grand Rapids Griffins started out in the IHL in '96, eh??
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 08:06:46 PM »
grampster - In '96 I was working at 50 Monroe. Got to see the arena get built and went to quite a few games while we still lived there.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
Growing up in Minnesota, it's a state law that you have to play hockey. I'd watch the playoffs more but it reminds me of our less than average Minnesota Wild hockey team who didn't make the playoffs.

I have a brother in law who used to have season tickets to the Wild. Great guy. He'd sell us his tickets to us now and then if he couldn't use them. Then he and my sister started having kids, so the tickets had to go. Damn kids. They were more fun to hang out with before they had kids.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:38 PM »
BTW, I've got two kids playing youth hockey (Squirt A and Mite A last year). I'm in a rink for most of the 5-6 month season and work extensively with our local association. We were down in Chicago for a Blackhawks/Devils game a few weeks ago. Although I don't follow the NHL as closely as I could, I watch college games and USHL games (in person) whenever possible.

Oh yeah, and the Wings got jobbed.  :mad:

nico

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
Been season ticket holders for the Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL, since the team started in the IHL 1996.  They're down 0-3 to Manitoba in the 2nd round.  Do or die tonight.  The Wings got robbed last night.

Yeah, I was amazed at the cheap shots and missed calls the Ducks got away with.  And watching Brown pissed me off even more that Brashear got 5 games for that hit in the Rangers series and he's still playing; he gets in a scrum with a wings player in front of the net after a play and starts sucker punching Osgood, who was completely uninvolved, in the back of the head  :rolleyes:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
Well if I say "Go Blades" few if any will know who I'm talking about.
I used to go to every home game when KC had an IHL team.
I watched any game that was on if there wasn't a game.
They have had very little TV time since the strike that I just catch a Blues game if I happen to be inside and not on the computer when it's on.
I have seen one playoff game this season. And the last 30 seconds of that very long Ducks-Wings game.(Came in at the right time on that one.)

jim

Sure enough know about the Blades.  Used to work their games at Kemper for Crowd Systems and then drink at the bar in the basement afterwards.  Also worked the Attack games plus about 90% of the other events at that place.

Now that I have moved to Tulsa just now got to a few hockey games this past year.  After about 10.  Have both kids hooked on the game now. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 06:01:38 AM »
It was nice to see the real Red Wings show up last night.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

nico

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
It was nice to see the real Red Wings show up last night.

I noticed it was a much cleaner game than the last two also. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
Justin Abdelkader just got called up to help the Wings due to an injury.  He's a rookie who played for the GR Griffins and is a local kid from Muskegon.  He's good.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »
grampster - In '96 I was working at 50 Monroe. Got to see the arena get built and went to quite a few games while we still lived there.

I was working at 50 Monroe 1998-2001.  Were you in A&E perchance?
7-11 was a part time job.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »
Justin Abdelkader just got called up to help the Wings due to an injury.  He's a rookie who played for the GR Griffins and is a local kid from Muskegon.  He's good.
I figured he'd be the one to get called up.  Kopecky got his clock cleaned pretty good in that fight. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
Kopecky is not much of fighter.  He played for the Griffs for a couple years before he earned a spot with the Wings.  It's much more fun watching the Wings now that several Griffins are on the ice.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 07:26:31 AM »
Duck Hunt!

Downtown Detroit
5:00pm Eastern!

=D =D =D =D =D

"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
Kopecky is not much of fighter.  He played for the Griffs for a couple years before he earned a spot with the Wings.  It's much more fun watching the Wings now that several Griffins are on the ice.
Too bad Downey doesn't have the scoring touch that Bob Probert did.  He'd actually get into the team and get some decent time too.

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 01:35:12 AM »
"Fair-weather" Wings fan. They played like crap tonight. After the second goal was scored, I turned it off. When they're playing that badly, and the Ducks aren't doing much better, it comes down to goaltending, and unfortunately Hiller is better than Ozzie. Normally they also have to play against the officials, but not tonight. They just sucked. They'd better get their heads out of their rears before they come back to Detroit.
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster