Author Topic: Sigh: Obama unveils $63 bill global health initiative  (Read 3426 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Sigh: Obama unveils $63 bill global health initiative
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:25:41 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090505/hl_nm/us_obama_globalhealth

Tue May 5, 3:14 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday announced a $63 billion, six-year health initiative to help people in the world's poorest countries, most of it to bolster existing programs.

"We cannot simply confront individual preventable illnesses in isolation. The world is interconnected, and that demands an integrated approach to global health," Obama said in a statement.

Obama will request the money in his budget for the 2010 fiscal year that begins on October 1. The White House has already released the main elements of that budget, but plans to offer greater details on Thursday.

The money will go toward efforts to fight AIDS, tropical diseases and other illness and to help improve maternal health. The initiative will be aimed at addressing "some of the biggest global health challenges," said Deputy Secretary of State Jack Lew.

The program to combat AIDS and malaria which is known as the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, and was created in the Bush administration, would get $51 billion over the six years.

The other $12 billion would be channeled to new programs to fight tropical disease and other health problems.

(Reporting by Caren Bohan; editing by Mohammad Zargham)
Why can't he, y'know, just, not do stuff? Is now really the time to be throwing a $63 bill bone to "global health"?

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Sigh: Obama unveils $63 bill global health initiative
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »
...words bleeping fail me here.

Are we all CERTAIN that he's not a GOP infiltrator, tasked to make leftoid liberalism look as ridiculous as it humanly can?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 05:54:46 AM »
I can't get used to this crap. You'd think you wouldn't blink at Obama's ideas at this point, but still, every time, I go through the week in "  :O " mode.

Cannn't wait for more details on this one.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
We're running incredible TRILLION DOLLAR PLUS deficits, government spending growth is at record levels . . . and BHO wants to send TENS OF BILLIONS OF ADDITIONAL DOLLARS OVERSEAS?

<expletive> <expletive> <long string of expletives>

Maybe we need more access to healthcare . . . every time - and I mean EVERY TIME - BHO opens his mouth my blood pressure goes up.

Based on his actions, he does hate America, he does want to harm this country.  :mad:

<expletive>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090505/hl_nm/us_obama_globalhealth
Why can't he, y'know, just, not do stuff? Is now really the time to be throwing a $63 bill bone to "global health"?

Not that I'm saying it's a good idea, but...   Uhm, why the hell would you spend $63 billion on healthcare for the rest of the world instead of domestically?  I don't like my federal tax dollars going to welfare for other countries.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »
Well, maybe it's because we already know how to solve malaria - we already know how to cure it and prevent it (distribute medicine, kill the bugs that spread it). So that's just a question of resources.

Nobody really knows how to 'solve' US healthcare issues.

OTOH, you think Obama isn't planning to do BOTH? =D =D =D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is in addition to the 3.5 trillion budget already being sought. 

Will this also help to screw up home grown health care systems in those countries like past health initiatives?
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
Let's cut to the chase: Obama has always been one thing and one thing only--the President of the Global Underclass.  None of this should surprise us one bit.  He is putting what he cares about most first.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Anyone want to bet that the swine flu scare will be used to push this "vitally and immediately necessary? bill through?  After all, we narrowly averted the extincition of mankind from the cough/oink disease and we need to make sure we don't come to the brink again!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
The program to combat AIDS and malaria which is known as the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, and was created in the Bush administration, would get $51 billion over the six years.

The other $12 billion would be channeled to new programs to fight tropical disease and other health problems.

Umm... Guys....

<yell>BUSH STARTED IT @ $51 BILLION!!!11!!1!</yell>

I hate Obama too... but he didn't unveil anything.  He just piggybacked another $12B onto Bush's existing snafu.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
Umm... Guys....

I hate Obama too... but he didn't unveil anything.  He just piggybacked another $12B onto Bush's existing snafu.

This is very much my problem with the Obama-criticism. Most of the big problems with the Obama administration are not limited to Obama. They cannot be fixed by merely electing a different guy.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
Umm... Guys....

Just to clarify, Bush created the snafu but the dollar amounts on attributable to Obama.  Notice how the Bush administration phrase is separated from the rest by commas?

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
Third world bung holes are always going to be third world bung holes.  All the money in the world is not going to change anything except make third world politicians rich.  Perfect example, mehico.

Thank God I am still working because in a couple years I probably couldn't afford to live because my taxes would be too high and BO will most likely confiscate my 401 to pay for his socializm.....geeeezzzz...chris3

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
Just to clarify, Bush created the snafu but the dollar amounts on attributable to Obama.  Notice how the Bush administration phrase is separated from the rest by commas?

http://www.pepfar.gov/about/index.htm

OK... Bush started it with $48 Billion.

Bush is still the 'tard that started this pet feel good project.  Obama is the 'tard that is increasing its budget.  The next president will be the 'tard that makes it even bigger.  And we'll all be the 'tards that pay for it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
Third world bung holes are always going to be third world bung holes.  All the money in the world is not going to change anything except make third world politicians rich.  Perfect example, mehico.

Thank God I am still working because in a couple years I probably couldn't afford to live because my taxes would be too high and BO will most likely confiscate my 401 to pay for his socializm.....geeeezzzz...chris3

Hmmm... always going to be bung holes?

How about a place with a bloody civil war, racial strife, horrible pollution, rivers that catch on fire, lakes so polluted you can walk out on them, horrible monetary policy, violent strikes, and a government hostile to business?

That place always going to be a "bung hole"?

Cause that was the US a little over 100 years ago.

A country's current state is no indicator of its future state. (Argentina and the US were effectively the same 100 years ago... note the divergence.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »
Umm... Guys....

I noticed that too. It made me roll my eyes in anticipation of Bush getting all the crap and Obama getting none, should this go awry.

Two questions:
1). Did Obama have to continue this?
2). Why did Obama add a $12 billion increase?

I feel so uncomfortable living in an era where our government looks at a billion dollars like we look at a Benjamin.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »
You can buy an awful lot of DDT and condoms for 60 Billion.

Typical government efficiency :rolleyes:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »
>You can buy an awful lot of DDT and condoms for 60 Billion.<

You or I could. The gooberment? Not so much...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
Well, maybe it's because we already know how to solve malaria - we already know how to cure it and prevent it (distribute medicine, kill the bugs that spread it). So that's just a question of resources.

Nobody really knows how to 'solve' US healthcare issues.

OTOH, you think Obama isn't planning to do BOTH? =D =D =D

Bob & Melinda Gates, who have oddles of billions of their own dollars, in spite of being Obamanites, have a private charity that is dedicated to eliminating malaria worldwide.

Why can't we leave the malaria thing to them and their money, which if they were not spending it on malaria abatement would be unable to unload their wealth (or at least not as much as quickly).  They ae quite comfortable having x-percentage drained off by dictators and warlords.

And if anyone wants to know why we should stop trying to solve/cure/fix the problems of at least sub-Saharan Africa, I suggest you research Kin DuToit's old blog for his wonderful exposition on the subject.  Modern times may suggest that the entire continent ought to be included (with possible exceptions for - nah, never mind).

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.