Author Topic: Democrats Strip Arlen Specter of Committee Rank  (Read 6404 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Democrats Strip Arlen Specter of Committee Rank
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
I wonder how Senator Specter feels now that he has been betrayed?  He betrayed the Republicans for an awful lot of years.

Democrats Strip Arlen Specter of Committee Rank
http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/arlen_specter_stripped/2009/05/06/211368.html?s=al&promo_code=7F47-1

Sen. Arlen Specter was unexpectedly stripped of his seniority Tuesday night in a humiliating blow from Democrats who earlier had welcomed the former Pennsylvania Republican’s defection from the GOP.

The move not only strips the five-term senator of his legislative clout but also hampers his ability to persuade voters he can still bring influence to issues in Pennsylvania as he approaches election there in 2010.

Specter lashed back Wednesday, strongly suggesting he had been betrayed.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Specter said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had promised him that his seniority would be preserved.

“Sen. (Harry) Reid assured me that I would keep my committee assignments and that I would have the same seniority as if I had been elected as a Democrat in 1980,” Specter said. “It was understood that the issue of subcommittee chairmanships would not be decided until after the 2010 election. Some members of the caucus have raised concerns about my seniority, so the caucus will vote on my seniority at the same time subcommittee chairmanships are confirmed after the 2010 election. I am confident my seniority will be maintained under the arrangement I worked out with Sen. Reid.”

Specter added that he would “continue to be a staunch and effective advocate for Pennsylvania¹s and the nation's priorities.”

The likelihood that Specter would lose a Republican primary prompted him to jump to the Democrats. Now, although President Barack Obama has promised to campaign for him, Specter could face a Democratic challenger in that party’s primary. After that, he may be up against former Gov. Tom Ridge, the state’s most popular Republican, in the general election.

The Senate vote stripping him of rank came after Specter made a huge faux pas against his new party when he told The New York Times Tuesday that he hoped Republican Norm Coleman wins the protracted court battle over the Minnesota Senate seat. Democrats want candidate Al Franken to prevail over Coleman so the party can attain a filibuster-proof majority of 60 in the Senate.

Politico reported that Specter has managed to alienate Democrats just a week after his much bally-hooed announcement.

"Since declaring himself a Democrat last Tuesday, Specter has defied Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and the White House on virtually everything that’s come down the pike: the budget, mortgage reform, the Al Franken-Norm Coleman race, even President Barack Obama’s appointment of Dawn Johnsen to head the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel," Politico reported. "All while quibbling over whether he said he’d be a 'loyal Democrat' — and insisting that he had an 'entitlement' to transfer his Senate seniority from one side of the aisle to the other."

Reid read a resolution on the Senate floor Tuesday making Specter the most junior Democrat on four of his five committee assignments. It stood in stark contrast to Reid's alleged promise that Specter would retain his seniority if he switched from the Republican to the Democratic party.

Specter serves on the Appropriations, Judiciary, Veterans Affairs, Environment and Public Works, and Special Aging committees. He had been the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, which is preparing for hearings on a Supreme Court nominee to replace the retiring Justice David Souter.

When Republicans were in the majority, Specter chaired the confirmation hearings for Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito. He now will have to wait in line to question the nominee, the Associated Press reported. Specter also was the top Republican on the subcommittee that funds the National Institutes of Health. The issue is a personal one for him because he has twice battled cancer.

The move came only a day after Specter boasted of the power he had through seniority to voters in Pennsylvania.

"My senior position on Appropriations has enabled me to bring a lot of jobs and a lot of federal funding to this state," Specter said at a town hall meeting on Monday, according to CNN.

Over and over, CNN reported, Specter made a point of telling an auditorium filled with medical faculty and staff about the hundreds of millions of dollars he delivered to the Keystone State, thanks to the power he's accumulated in his 29 years in the Senate.

"Pennsylvania has a big interest in my seniority, a big interest," he said.

Speaking on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday, Specter said that it's an "entitlement" for him to retain his seniority on those committees.

"I was elected in 1980. I think that's not a bribe or a give for something extraordinary," he said. "I'll be treated as a Democrat as if I was elected as a Democrat."

Specter could have a chance to reclaim his seniority on influential committees such as the Appropriations and Judiciary Committees after the 2010 midterm elections, Democrats have suggested.

Perhaps realizing the consequences his Coleman remarks, Specter quickly changed his tune. He told Congressional Quarterly on Tuesday that he would like to see more Democratic members elected in the 2010 midterms.

"In the swirl of moving from one caucus to another, I have to get used to my new teammates," Specter said. "I’m ordinarily pretty correct in what I say. I’ve made a career of being precise. I conclusively misspoke."

But Democrats have not only stripped Specter of his clout, they’ve used his defection from the GOP to attack his former party colleagues. In a new Web ad from the Democratic National Committee, they parody the TV show “Survivor to highlight "the continued disunity" within the GOP.

The final result is that Arlen Specter has betrayed the party that supported him for decades, only to be apparently betrayed by the party that seduced him to defect.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Democrats Strip Arlen Specter of Committee Rank
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:26 PM »
The final result is that Arlen Specter has betrayed the party that supported him for decades, only to be apparently betrayed by the party that seduced him to defect.

Karma...and I don't think she's done with him yet.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »

HA HA!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
makattack beat me!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:48 PM »
“Sen. (Harry) Reid assured me that I would keep my committee assignments and that I would have the same seniority as if I had been elected as a Democrat in 1980,”
Did Senator Harry Reid lie to him?  Looks like it to me.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »
What goes around, comes around. Ha ha! Sucks to be you!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:46:59 AM »
I always think it's so cute when people think that one party is better than another, especially someone that works directly with both that should know better.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:56:55 AM »
I always think it's so cute when people think that one party is better than another, especially someone that works directly with both that should know better.

Well which party is better is certainly more debatable, but it's clear that one set of ideals is certainly better.  There is absolutely no doubt that conservatism is a more effective and liberty-preserving set of beliefs than liberalism.  Now whether the GOP actually promotes conservatism is an entirely different debate, and a lengthy one at that.

Clem

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
One explanation of this may be that it is a shot across the bow to get Specter to vote for “Card Check.” Card Check is the union backed proposal to eliminate the secret ballot in union elections, so they can use strong arm tactics to gain union representation. It is intended to bring unions back from the dead. And of course, unions are big contributors to the Democraps. This is pay back for the unions. Specter had said he would vote against Card Check. Let's see if he changes his tune now.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
Pobrecito =(. Play the lying, deceitful bastard and then get burned by another master. Couldn't happen to a nicer#$$&%@!.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
Man that puts a smile on my face. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »

+1 on the Karma.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »

Yep, I've seen her take after folks with (mtaphorical) ball gags, barrels, and a whole lotta pokey-proddy-hurty thingys.

I can't wait to see what comes next.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
One explanation of this may be that it is a shot across the bow to get Specter to vote for “Card Check.” Card Check is the union backed proposal to eliminate the secret ballot in union elections, so they can use strong arm tactics to gain union representation. It is intended to bring unions back from the dead. And of course, unions are big contributors to the Democraps. This is pay back for the unions. Specter had said he would vote against Card Check. Let's see if he changes his tune now.

Clem, we don't use slurs against the parties or particular candidates on this forum.  This includes Hitlary, Juan McLame, Swimmer, Shrub, Demoncrats and the like.

Descends to Democrat Underground to quickly.

On topic, I think the Dems know that Specter is a dead horse in the 2010 race already.  Allowing him to be a senior leader penalizes "loyal" democrats by eliminating a leadership position, and also presents democratic legitimization of his party swap.  That could backfire in 2010.  They know they are facing at least a minor shift in 2010, possibly a large one depending on their goals for the next session.  They are walking lightly and hoping to retain a majority until 2012, when they can really start to put the screws to us.

Buddying too closely to Specter hurts them, IMO.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
No fool like an old fool.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Just heard on the news that Specter got a bit of a plum...

The Dems tossed him chairmanship of a Justice subcommittee.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »

I wonder how Leahy took that ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »

Crime & Drugs subcommittee.  Dick "U.S. soliders are Nazis" Durbin is giving up the spot.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/07/durbin.specter/index.html

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Schaden-what?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
Soon as Specter sings the praises of Card Check he'll be restored to his proper position (or so he thinks).  Reality is he will be squeezed and thrown out as soon as his usefulness deteriorates.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 11:40:54 PM »
I hear that Specter is leading in the pre-election polls as a Democrat against the Republicans.  Republicans are going to have to work real hard to unseat him regardless of what you think of his politics.  He has always been a bit of a Democrat even when he was a Republican.

I don't approve of the committee chairmanship bone Durbin through him.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »
When was he ever a Republican?   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »
I wonder how Leahy took that ??
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/07/source-durbin-gives-specter-judiciary-subcommittee-chair/

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy slammed the brakes Thursday on Sen. Dick Durbin's decision to give up his Judiciary subcommittee chairmanship and offer it to party-switcher Sen. Arlen Specter.

"We need to work out something. Nothing's been worked out," Leahy said after Durbin, the majority whip, volunteered to give up his chairmanship of the crime subcommittee and announced a new Human Rights Subcommittee for him to lead.

"Oh, he's now chairman?" Leahy said with anger about Durbin. "This is great."

Leahy added that the judiciary panel has to work out funding for the new subcommittee if it is indeed to be created. He said he has to "think about it over the weekend and consult with Republicans."
In the end, it appeared as if Leahy was angry that Durbin staffers leaked the news to a Capitol Hill newspaper and put out a release before the chairman could announce the news about his own committee. Several aides to the committee say all will be well. Leahy and his top Republican, Jeff Sessions of Alabama, are expected to make the switch official sometime soon.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
Well which party is better is certainly more debatable...

No
It
Isn't!

They both SUCK equally!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
I see a lot of golf in the future for whoever has to churn out campaign ads for Specter's 2010 opponents. The unseen guy with a deep and unsettling voice will get quite a work-out but the ads pretty much write themselves.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.