Author Topic: Cast bullets for 44mag  (Read 1679 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Cast bullets for 44mag
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »
Who makes a good cast bullet for the 44mag?

Currently, I'm using 300gr WFN-GC bullets from Cast Performance.  I love these, they shoot great in my Redhawk and were inexpensive when I could get them from Sportsmans Warehouse for $36/100.  With my ownly SW going out of business, my other sources have these bullets for upwards of $40/100 PLUS shipping.

I'm looking for alternatives.

Montana Bulletworks and Beartooth Bullets both offer an identical bullet for a good price.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Are they as tough (without being brittle) as the Cast Performance ones?

Any other suggestions?

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Cast bullets for 44mag
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
I bought some bullets from this guy for .38 special. Works well for me.

Stonewall Bullet Company http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,23847.0.html

A lot of competition shooters in Iowa buy from this guy. I haven't bought any from him yet, but I am going to get some for my .45acp this summer.

Two Alpha Bullets http://www.twoalphabullets.com/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »
It doesn't appear either vendor has LBT-style 300gr WFN-GC bullets.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
It doesn't appear either vendor has LBT-style 300gr WFN-GC bullets. Chris

Shoot an email to Robert at Stonewall Bullets. He may have a mold laying around. His inventory varies on what he has molded and ready to ship. I email back and forth with him when I ordered bullets, seem like a very good guy to business with.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
I've done some Beartooth.

I've only used 250gr offerings from them since I practice with inexpensive 240gr bullets from Mastercast (keep the weight similar/same)... but they load well and shoot the same as the MC's.

I've done LSWC-GC and LFN-GC at 250gr from them.  All bullets have gas checks installed, no deformities of the bullets on arrival, consistent lube.  I've never recovered one.  Then again, I've never recovered a Mastercast, either.  Even shooting at rows of water jugs.

They don't strike me as brittle, but they seem less maleable than my MC's.  Fingernail scratches are more difficult.  I can't scratch either with a fingernail on a flat spot, but on the corner of the bullet's top I can scratch the MC, but not the beartooth.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »
For my "lite" loads, I use Oregon Trail 240g SWC bullets.  They're fairly soft and shoot to the same POA when loaded with about 6gr of Trail Boss (about 1000fps).  The Cast Performance bullets are TOUGH.  I took one and hammered it on my basement floor for Mike.  It took several hard blows before it flattened to any significant degree and was almost completely flat before small pieces started to cleave off.  Based on what I've read, others have run these to very high velocities, punched through the shoulder bones of large animals, and they're barely distorted at all.  That's what I'd like to find from other vendors.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
I just wanna say that 240gr LSWC + Trail Boss is the bee's knees for low-pressure, low-drama big-bore .44mag fun.

Right now, my preferred load is a 240gr LSWC from Rucker in Terrell, Texas, over 7.3gr of TB, which is a max load.  Fills the case completely under the slug.

Out of my 4" SW629 or my wife's Rossi 92, it is slick, clean, mild, shooting goodness.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
Yup.  I love TB in the 44mag.  I wasn't impressed with it in the 38special, it seem inconsistent in terms of recoil and report, but it was as accurate as any load I've tried.  I have 3.5 cans of it on hand and will probably use it in the 44mag and 32 S&W Long exclusively (assuming it works for the 32, haven't tried it yet).

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
TB works great for me in .357mag & a 158gr LSWC.

Have not tried it in .38spl.

IIRC (meaning, check & make sure) the .357mag TB loads require a magnum primer.

Which put me in the position of using magnum primers for my mild load and standard primers for my wild loads (2400 & 158gr LSWC).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
I haven't tried it in the 357 yet.  I use either H110 or Power Pistol for those loads. 

The 38's problem might have been because I was using Berry plated bullets instead of plain lead.  No worries though, it just leaves more TB for the 44.  I get perfectly fine results in the 38 using Unique, American Select, or Bullseye anyway.

However, in the 44mag, TB leaves a big grin on my face. :)  I thought my load was good for 800ish FPS.  I was blown away (no pun intended) when the chrono said 1000fps.  I think my gun just shoots fast though.  My "heavy" 300gr load should only do 1100ish based on the results of others, yet I'm getting 1250-1300fps depending on ambient temps.  No leading or pressure signs either.  Brass ejects with very little effort too.

Chris