Author Topic: APS is...  (Read 7810 times)

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« on: December 02, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »
an odd place inhabited by critters who have a commonality of faith in a timeless document.  The Constitution.  We have a unity in the belief that a few words define a way of life.

I came to the gunboards in 2000.  APS has come to be the neighborhood in which I live.  I have a great appreciation of the comments on TFL,THR, TAC etc.  But the camaraderie of daily life is here.  APS crosses all boundaries and tolerates the opportunity to discuss the vagaries of mankind, politely, in every direction.

There are not many of us who have registered.  What? Maybe 800 souls?  On a daily basis, our contributors are obvious and predictable (maybe) and new handles pop up daily.  (With dates of entry from the beginning).

The modern age may have ushered in some things that are objectionable, but at the same time the internet has opened up a new world.  None of us would have ever shared a thought except for Al Gore's invention.  Al, take a bow.

I appreciate the cameraderie, and maybe, at some point, many hundreds of us will have a Ronnyvoo, in some place where we can shoot guns, look at mountains, listen to water running and camp amongst the trees.  ( I didn't forget the beer...Or the tea and crumpets for sm)

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

APS is...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »

Hey you old fart - yeah you Gramps!

Or the tea and crumpets for sm)
Do I look British?  It is supposed to be Fried Apple Pies. I can do a Apple pie too. Black coffee, but I do non- sweet tea.  Yeah I know, Southern Folks are supposed to like sweetened. I'm a rebel, I can drink it un-sweet if I wanna.

Actually...at the moment...I'm
Sipping Twinings Irish Breakfast tea and munching on Baklava.   Who says I ain't cultured?

See if the coin had been heads I'da had to type something mushy like If'n warm weather sitting out back, plinking with .22's off the back porch. Cool temps, gathered around the fireplace , sipping coffee, and waiting for the call as to how the PETA meeting folks appreciated the meat deli tray we sent anon by cab...

Ain't cha happy it was tails??

Smiley

Grampster, Great post my friend.

Steve

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
APS is...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 08:56:11 PM »
APS is...

The pee in my pants.  All warm and gooshy, but I can't stay in that environment too long without something adverse happening...

(reminder to myself to scale back on the online yammering)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MaterDei

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 02:39:39 AM »
APS is...

My classroom (in which I learn) and my podium (at which I waste people's time).

USP45usp

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »
The pee in my pants.  All warm and gooshy
Ewwww, gross.  I would suggest maybe depends or something Cheesy.

I like APS, when you can't post a thought or something that is weighing heavy upon your mind on the main boards then you know you can come here (as long as it's still civil but OT from firearms).

Everyone needs a place to vent or to speak their minds, etc..  Sure, TFL and THR are great for on topic issues but when a person has other issues they would like to discuss, it's nice to be able to come to a place that welcomes such issues and members that are helpful.

Just because a few make it annoying or try to use it for evil doesn't mean that it's a bad idea.  If that were the case then gun ownership in general should be banned/outlawed just because a few use them inappropriatly.

Gramps likes the place, as others, don't take it away or wish it away just because you think that it's a bad idea.

Wayne

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

APS is...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 08:29:57 AM »
APS is my neighborhood pub.  
You see the same folks, some are loopy (me) and some are helpful.  Some are cynical and some are sincere.  
Some are just fun to watch, and have high 'entertainment value'.

It's a virtual Cheers.

mtnbkr

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 10:01:49 AM »
Ewwww, gross.  I would suggest maybe depends or something
He is getting on up in age. Tongue

Chris

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
APS is...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 10:11:32 AM »
I think APS has stayed civil enough that we can start inviting people to it from ooutside.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
APS is...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 10:29:47 AM »
I think APS has stayed civil enough that we can start inviting people to it from ooutside.
There are people on the outside?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:27:52 PM »
Outsiders?
I'm frightened of the outside.
That's why I sit at home on my computer, on a Saturday afternoon, surrounded by guns, talking too you people.
Well, ok, I did spend the morning hitting the local gunshops, but still, that's hardly The Outside.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
APS is...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 12:42:55 PM »
Naw, Chris, it's not you, it's me. (See how dumb that sounds, ladies?)

I've noticed I spend way too much time on the computer and nowhere near enough time with wife, stepkids, and just getting out and about, fresh air, and all.  So I have this resolution, even if it's not New Years yet.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
APS is...
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 02:20:58 PM »
Outsiders?
'Bout time we got a decent hyperdrive.  Oh, wait, you mean...  Never mind. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Standing Wolf

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 06:14:37 PM »
I'd say this is close to a 100% off topic forum. It's hard to improve upon.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Zundfolge

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »
APS is ...

a sad replacement for the THR Roundtable Sad

but yeah, for an "Off topic" type forum I've seen worse.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
APS is...
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 07:07:23 PM »
Sorry about the Roundtable...but I regard THR as a mission-oriented forum and did not want to compromise its effectiveness. Besides, APS gave a second chance to many whom I count as friends.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
APS is...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 07:10:13 PM »
Sorry about the Roundtable...
No apologies needed Oleg.  It is YOUR house after all, the rest of us our just guests there.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Norton

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 03:42:44 AM »
.....a refreshing chance to interact with adults (or at least adult-like people, in deference to our youngest members) on a daily basis.  A rare thing when surrounded by 15 year-olds for 8 hours a day.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
APS is...
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 07:19:45 AM »
...a place to make me realize that they really ARE other people as warped as I...
One day at a time.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 12:07:03 PM »
Quote from: ex-ma hole
...a place to make me realize that they really ARE other people as warped as I...
+1 on that.

Zundfolge

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Oleg Volk
Sorry about the Roundtable...but I regard THR as a mission-oriented forum and did not want to compromise its effectiveness. Besides, APS gave a second chance to many whom I count as friends.
Oh I understand why the Roundtable went away ... but that doesn't mean I miss it any less or think APS is as good (if nothing else I much prefer the vBullitin interface to PunBB).

P95Carry

APS is...
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 04:15:52 PM »
Dick - sound sentiments Smiley

I enjoy my occasional foray in here but - for most part time on THR and another gun board just take too much time, as it is.

It is good tho to still see a lot of folks I regard as friends from months - nay years, past.  Can't help wondering tho if Oleg's idea re ''outsiders'' will be a safe move - simply because of potential troll invasions and then a need for probably moderation to keep lid on.  Bit like enjoying a party full of invited guests but hell when gate crashers sneak in Cheesy
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 05:31:03 PM »
Chris,

I'm with you, and if Oleg is checking in, I second the motion.  It seems to me APS is more a place where those of us who value the good standards that built our country, can gather to wrestle with differing points of view. The polite exchange of ideas is the fodder of progress.   Learning how to make bisquits or making beer or looking at pics of old cars etc is a fine way to while away a winter evening, too.  For most of us, it seems, life is more complex than 9mm VS .45 cal and the minutiae of the gun culture.

The gun boards are as Oleg describes, a mission oriented forum.  I enjoy lurking mostly as I love to shoot 'em, but am not much caught up in the intricacies of making them go boom.  I just love the sound of gunfire, the smell of powder and the skill to makes that little piece of lead go where I pointed it.  I'm going to insert myself back into the hunting culture once my career is done.  (Soon Cheesy)

APS is the campfire where we come after leaving the range, so to speak.  I'd like to see more folks come over from THR or TFL.  Good conversation is hard to find without having to spar with trolls and agent's provocateur.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what Oleg means about "outsiders".  Does he mean promoting APS as a link on other boards?

PS:  I hope your family had a great Thanksgiving holiday.  A warm Merry Christmas I extend to you (and to all APS members, for that matter) and yours from the Clan Grampster.

I enjoy your photos from time to time.  One of these days I'll figger out how to phenegel (sp?) my equipment and show you the beauty of Michigan.

Did you notice sm was denying he's a crumpet and tea man.  I thought you edumacted him in that regard.  Tongue

Dick
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

P95Carry

APS is...
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »
Did you notice sm was denying he's a crumpet and tea man.  I thought you edumacted him in that regard.
`
Hahaha - well Dick - I tried and he is so longing to lose some of that ''Southern'' stigma - but well - I just gotta keep tryin, tho he does I know appreciate quite a few ''Limey'' gourmet delights!

My Thanksgiving was quiet Dick - just how i like it.  Time with Mrs and time to reflect and relax - and yeah - give thanks.  Something I do every day.  

Hehe - finegal all ya can dude - it works in the end!

Merry (can we say this now without being arrested?!! rolleyes ) - Christmas to you too Sir and all as well. Smiley
Chris - P95

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »
I guess I was "edumacted" instead of edumacated myself.  Heh.  Filthy spell check!
(assuming I knew how to use spellcheck)

Hmmmm.  Finegal, finagel, finagle?Huh? heh.  I vote for fenagel.

P95Carry

APS is...
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »
What the **** - heck - I knew whatya meant Cheesy Cheesy
Chris - P95