Author Topic: APS is...  (Read 7811 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
APS is...
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 06:24:37 PM »
APS is my neighborhood pub.
Something like that. Only maybe a little more. More sort of like a pizza and beer joint overlooking the campus quad at a small town college. We meet and socialize, discuss the news of the day, sports, the legs on the new waitress down at the diner Wink

You get that small town feel, but we get educated too. I have learned more about history and literature here than I did in 16 years of public school and college.

APS is...
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 06:52:49 PM »
There is more to responsible firearm ownership than firearms

I have used this quote often as many know, the origins...

labgrade , now passed, and I were communicating via telephone. We had been exchanging information about various matters, such as TRS, the political situation in respective states in regard to CCW and whatever else.

One of us said those words, we argued as to which one of us said it first - we gave each other credit. Then we wondered if perhaps Rich Lucibella had said them, someone else -anyone?  We did searches to find out. We never did find an author, so labgrade and I continued to give each other credit.

I'm suposed to take credit for them since lagrades passing...that is another story as to why.

labgrade is only one of MANY - whom I met thru TFL and later THR.  Like many, we do not always talk guns, the S&T, the L&P, we just need to visit with like minded individual.

It may be we need the input from someone in a profession, or we need input from someone in a region of the country in regard to hotels, vacation spots - or meeting up to have a meal, cup of coffee.

Re: Outsiders

I too am uncomfortable with 'outsiders'.  My first gut reaction is open forum needing moderating.  I'm uncomfortable with this definition personally.

I know many at THR did not approve of The Roundtable, even from its conception - including Staff. I respect this. I can even understand their point of view.  I admit I am not the best representative of THR, TFL or APS.

APS  members as it is now - we know each other. Akin to the folks working in a downtown area, they may know everyone - still comfortable enough to see them in the Coffee Shop on the corner. We talk about a lot of stuff, and perhaps even matters we would not to "strangers" - but the person that works in that building across the street - we may  not actually know his name, what he actually does in that bldg - is still 'one of us'.

---

I can vent here, I can get by with language to re-enforce my emotion on a matter, to gain tone and inflection if you will.

---

Now about training me on stuff ...'cultured' as it may expressed.  I do not watch TV , if I did I'd watch movies maybe, or training tapes....or educational tapes.  Now being with like minded folks , in someone's home watching a movie, yeah, I like that. I ususally end up with the family dog being my  bestest friend.

I would prefer to see a live Theatre show, instead of most movies.  Not some musicals, but some are classic.  I mean even I go to the Children's Theatre to see "Annie" with the red headed brat singing. "Annie Get Your Gun" , "Swiss Family Robinson"....and the last dinner Theatre show was "Pajama Tops".  My Micro Bio PhD Lab - a young lady whom finished HS at age 14 and I forget how young she got her PhD was in the Play.  She was surprised how folks like me liked the Theatre. I was really surprised how well she looked in a Teddy....I mean I was paying attention in class anyway with her wearing jeans, T-shirt and a ball cap...

Oh, cannot fool me - I have had some fine Southern Cooked foods in MN, PA WVA,MI  even Indiana.  8grin*  Ohio really needs to get their act together tho"...*smirk*.  Trying to explain to a Ohio native that the bun is supposed to be 'backwards' on a Patty Melt double cheeseburger, with double jalapeno cheese and jalapenos is a classic example of futility.  Do not ever ask if they ever make Sun Tea...deer in the headlight look all around.  Just what the hell is this putting butter on sandwiches anyway?  She put on the butter - then- added mustard and mayo to a ham sandwich.  We hang folks in the South if they do that...

Nope, this is my quaint coffee shop with my bunch.  Sometimes my diner with the juke box in the corner with some CCR or Segar playing.  Reminds me of a watering hole I used to go to  as well.  

I still do communicate with folks off forum, via PM, Email Snail- Mail  and landline. I mean I have rec'd some great books from New Zealand, from a freind I met at THR. He wanted to learn some shotgunning stuff, and now we communicate about all sorts of stuff.

I keep up with families, and kids.  I get adopted 'online' sometimes. Latest was a person said thier kid was going to adopt me as an Uncle. That way the kid and them could blame me for buying stuff for the parents , under the excuse of the kid. Hey at 9 months the kid is not really into the train set, or the Red Ryder parents bought - but I get the blame so the parents can make sure the stuff works for when the kid gets bigger. Makes sense to me. Smiley

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 07:13:06 PM »
Steve,  Just proddin' with a dull stick so I can get a page er two from ya.  Then I can set back and read and think and enjoy.

Well it's gettin on to 1AM and it's dark and cold here.  In the teens.  10 day forecast is for 20's, some wind, and snow showers daily.  The lake froze over for the 2nd time on Tuesday.  Looks like winter is here to stay till the January thaw.  Oldest son bought the two g'kids and his gal friend's son each an ice fishin' kit.  I'll be sitting in front of the slider next to the fireplace in another couple weeks, watchin them boys settin' up tip ups  for northern pike and jiggin' for crappie.  SWMBO'l heat up the grease and get out the Drakes and make up some slaw.  I think I'll be smelling fresh filets before too much longer.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

natedog

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 05:12:41 AM »
APS is...

perhaps the best mannered discussion board on the internet.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
APS is...
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 06:06:21 AM »
The pee in my pants.  All warm and gooshy
At least it is the pee in his pants and not the *expletive deleted*it in his shorts
Brian
<><
:)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
APS is...
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2005, 07:17:38 AM »
Hate to be an elitist-

But I'm not too crazy about "outsiders" either.  Why ruin a good, ok, great thing?

The way it is now seems to work for all/ most of us.  It is sort of "by invitation only".
One day at a time.

Lennyjoe

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2005, 01:50:04 PM »
I don't spend as much time here as I did on the roundtable.  Maybe I need to check in more often.  That is, if you locals will have me.  Wink

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »
Lennyjoe,

Only if you bring double chocolate cake.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

APS is...
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2005, 02:43:03 PM »
and give it to me! Smiley

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
APS is...
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 02:36:07 AM »
Newbie buys the ammo...

sorry, wrong forum.
One day at a time.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2005, 08:43:11 AM »
And beer.

Seymour Skinner

APS is...
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2005, 11:00:55 AM »
Quote from: Oleg Volk
...but I regard THR as a mission-oriented forum and did not want to compromise its effectiveness. Besides, APS gave a second chance to many whom I count as friends.
If they're your friends then just un ban them then.  There is more forgiveness from the IRS than from those who love to ban people at THR and TFL.  Don't you think trigger happy and unforgiving bannings "compromise the effectiveness" of THR and TFL?  How about for Christmas give a general amnesty to those who have been banned (yes, one or two may have deserved it)?  Somehow I expect the National Firearms Act to be repealed before that ever happens though.

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 06:14:14 PM »
MA.com,
     I've resisted rising to your bait on a number of occasions.  I've been reading your thread about getting banned.  I've also read a few of your posts when you have chosen to converse in a manner befitting your obvious wide interests.  Frankly, when you do that I've been much more interested in reading what you've had to say.

Simply put, it is much more edifying to converse with a person who is speaking in a normal tone over one who is amplifying his voice with a bullhorn or throwing firecrackers into the room to gain attention.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.  I've learned that lesson the hard way myself.  Maybe a few more years of seasoning will temper your need for bombast.  

Cordially,
grampster

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
APS is...
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2005, 04:24:43 AM »
There is even some Whine here, bring on the cheese.
Brian
<><
:)

Art Eatman

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 04:44:34 AM »
RonnieVous?  I got a few hundred acres folks can camp on.  Bring your own latrine shovel.  Even got high dirt banks for backstops for bullets.  October and March are the bestest months, weatherwise.  Dry, and not cold.

Not exactly on the beaten path, though...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

APS is...
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2005, 05:11:28 AM »
Art's Place- This ought to be good...

I'm in jeans, rubber soled /leather upper boots, black coffee in hand, smoking a cigarette out wandering to see the quail...

Grampster is sneaking Tootsie Rolls before SWMBO gets up and is watching the Pink Flamingos he brought with him, with mismatched socks, Bemuda Shorts. Helluva sight...

Brian has two gals fighting over who is going to shoot all his ammo up - and they ate his last piece of swiss Cheese, night before...

El-Tejon , hey if a Tilecrawler wants to run in the desert fine by me - just don't scare the quail...

Oleg cannot get the right lighting for a shot he wants...

P95Carry is firing 'taters at Buzzards accross the way...

Art and the wifey decide a trip to Austin might be in order, got a bunch nuts on property and Austin seems more sane...

Must have been the Pink Flamigos and Bermuda Shorts with knee-high socks that done 'em in...

*grin*

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

APS is...
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 08:15:03 AM »
sm--
you forgot Felonious Fig sitting over by the fire annoying everyone by singing (offkey) Kum Ba Yah... rolleyes

APS is...
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2005, 08:33:45 AM »
No I didn't , I just didn't want to embarass you.

Okay, Fig shot one of the Flamingos , he thought it was a really big quail, Pink ...but hey he figured they get sunburnt or something out in the desert regions...

Being plastic - it ain't gonna taste like chicken. So as to not upset gramster, we spray painted the jackalope 280plus shot, stuck it on a stick and grampster don't know the difference. Especially without his glasses.

Barbara- she is damned and determined to bust that rock out yonder. Just a busting away, she is.

P95Carry (Chris ) done shot up all his 'taters.  I tried to told 'em cow chips wouldn't work (phew). Hope he gets cleaned up, supposed to do a light show tonight shooting them hand cannons of his .

Standing Wolf is doing a really great sketch of the landscape.  Let me tell you folks, some folks shoot and hit the target - SW shoots and keeps putting bullets in the same hole each time. Talented, definitly talented he is.

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
I can see this thread going downhill fast.  

Wait....has anyone got some rope a 2X6 a coupl'a 2X4's and some wheels.  We'll need some 10 penny nails to bend over to hold the axles on the 2X4's, keep the wheels from falling off'n the axles, and few long bolts, nuts and some lock washers to hold the 2X4's to the 2X6.

If we're going downhill fast lets build us a racer.  You got a vision sm?  Do I hear an amen?

APS is...
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:01 AM »
How about we just get that big tractor inner tube, long rope, and ski the desert?

We could make little rafts and play in the creek...

How much gunpowder we got?  Art - ya need a in-ground pool?  

Lets go check out what the buzzards are eating....

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
APS is...
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2005, 10:54:16 AM »
Hey Art!   Can I bring my grandkids?  Al eight of them?

I promise Sadie will steal your heart while Tyler is disassembling your backhoe. Cheesy

grampster

• friend
APS is...
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2005, 11:11:09 AM »
OK, I'll bring my grandkids too.  Andrew will put the backhoe back together, there will be parts left over and it will work better than before.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
APS is...
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »
If we invite outsiders, can they be hot chicks?  *whistles, kicks rocks*  Just asking.Cheesy

APS is where gun nuts can talk about non-gun nut stuff.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
APS is...
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2005, 11:46:04 AM »
How about a hot rod Jeep with sand tires, 100' of ski rope and a wake board. Somehow avoid the cacti and other sticker bushes.

*disclaimer I have never been to the desert so I have no clue what the environment is like

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

APS is...
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2005, 12:01:39 PM »
Art's Amusement Park

Only El Tejon would figure a way to have fru fru coffee and blueberry muffins to entice the ladies...

Grandkids running all around, stealing hearts and being themselves...

Folks trying to roast a plastic pink flamingo over a fire...

Barbara still busting away on that rock ...

Sounds like "Animal House", "Mad Max" , "Blue's Brothers" and a Eastwood Spaghetti Western all rolled into one.

We need a Big Balloon  "Hi -You Made it".  

That should cause some un-invited folks from across the border to run back  across the Border.

"Them Gringos are plumb crazy...I ain't going back over there" .