Author Topic: Flourishing eagles feast on Maine's rare seabirds  (Read 3874 times)

Iain

• friend
Re: Flourishing eagles feast on Maine's rare seabirds
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »
That's probably partly true as they are opportunistic predators, but the article - USGS press release clearly links a shift in bald eagle diet to a decline in otter numbers:

The sea otter is a keystone species in near-shore coastal environments because of the pivotal role it plays in maintaining a healthy balance in kelp forests.  By eating sea urchins – the biggest threat to kelp forests – sea otters controlled sea urchin numbers and kept the ecosystem in balance. This ensured these underwater plants could thrive and reach their maximum height of 250 feet.

Kelp forests provide habitat, shelter, and a buffer from waves and currents for numerous aquatic species. This marine environment also provided the bald eagle with a diet of marine fishes and sea otter pups.

Also note, and this is very interesting:

Although the diet of these bald eagles changed with the decline of sea otters, the scientists discovered that the birds actually produced more eggs and young, a fact that Anthony suggests may be a result of high caloric content in the eagles’ increasingly seabird-dominated diet.

So it may be that protections caused bald eagle populations to rise, then another effect down the chain caused them to shift their diet. When they did so along came increased reproductive success.

Good case you make there for managing fish stocks, as in not over-fishing or destroying fish habit.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
Okay, so we need to hunt killer whales and bald eagles ??

:rolleyes: ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
Okay, so we need to hunt killer whales and bald eagles ??

:rolleyes: ;/
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also