Author Topic: Poor Grandpa  (Read 2148 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Poor Grandpa
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »
My little sister just had her first child one state over about 5 minutes ago. It was really fast, just under an hour from the time she realized she was in labor to delivery. Which is funny, because she's a Labor & Delivery nurse.  =D I'm guessing she was in "back labor" and she's been having lots of back problems during the third trimester, she's pretty short/petite, and was showing huge, so I suspect that all adds up to the fact she was in labor all day, and didn't know it.

And nobody can find my father. My mother is frantic because she HAS to drive the five hours to Minnesota to see her new granddaughter ASAP, and can't find him anywhere, his office closed early for the holiday weekend, and he's not answering his cell.

I almost hope for HIS SAKE he's under a bus, or in the ER right now.

Poor guy, his ass is grass. There won't be much left of him when he comes out from commo blackout and Mom finally finds him. I pray for his sake he's not out on a "long (liquid) lunch" with his Ins. Firm co-workers.

Nice knowing you Dad, you were a good father to ME at least....  :lol:
I promise not to duck.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Poor Grandpa
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I your dad must be using the only car they have. I don't know why your mother is in a hurry. The baby is not going anywhere.

Congrats to your sister.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
I your dad must be using the only car they have. I don't know why your mother is in a hurry. The baby is not going anywhere.

Congrats to your sister.

Grandmothers tend to be a bit crazy at first.  It's just one of those things to expect with kids.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
That's what my Dad said when they finally got a hold of him.  :lol:

He does not have the only car, but he did kind of need to be there for the five hour drive to Minnesota. Even if they left the instant my sister called, she delivered within an hour, and it's not as if they'd have made it anyway.

I definitely am glad it's not me (or "my fault") in that car with my mother for the next few hours.  :laugh:

When Mrs. Dual was delivering our first set of twin girls five years ago, my mother grabbed a nurses cart, rolled it between Mrs. Dual's legs at the foot of the bed, and laid out a game of solitaire. So yes, grandmother's can get a bit irrational.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

Congrats to your sister.

When you've BTDT, you'll understand. 

When Abby was born, there was a band of thunderstorms between us and both sets of grandparents.  My parents made it, but my FIL didn't get on the road early enough and weren't keen on making the 4hr trip in some gnarly storms.  My MIL almost made the drive on her own.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:22 PM »
Much less stress to be 1500+ miles/over half the continent from either set of grandparents when the hatchings arrive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
For both of our kids we had to convince my MIL to come out earlier than originally planned.  Both times the kids came within 24 hours of her arrival.  Really good thing she came earlier than planned on the second one as she wound up catching my boy in the back seat of our Honda Civic as I piloted us on a speed course to the birth center.  Got there 7 minutes after he was born.  Had to get the upholstry cleaned after that. 

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
Grandmothers tend to be a bit crazy at first.
Some Grandmothers, Great-grandmothers and Aunts, react the same way espicially in close knit families.

Speaking from experience, 5 children, 13 grandchildren, 3 great-grandchildren, 5 nieces and nephews.