Author Topic: An exercise in futility  (Read 4311 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
An exercise in futility
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
I have now spent all afternoon and part of the evening attempting to rent a vehicle that fits two criteria:  it can hold me, my husband, and my daughter, and it can hold a seven foot long package.

This is, I fear, impossible,

I can rent a truck or van from a moving place (uhaul, ryder, etc).   This would be rickety, unsafe, and would only have room for two people. 

I can rent a minivan or an SUV from a car rental place.  So far I have reserved two vehicles today.  First, a minivan.  Turns out they decided to rent me the only minivan on the planet that does not have fold-down or removable seats.  No cargo space.

Then I tried to rent an SUV.  This time I verified with the person running the counter at the local airport that I would get something with the hauling capacity of a Trailblazer.  Yeah...after I  drove across town and trudged across the parking lot and airport hauling a big toddler size carseat, my Trailblazer had morphed into a Nissan Murano.  Because really, six feet and eight feet and the same thing, right?

Now no one has anything left available this weekend.  I should've set this up in advance.  Oh wait, I did. 

So, am I missing something here?  Is it POSSIBLE to rent a vehicle that can transport both people and stuff?  Am I just insane because I think this is the most ludicrous waste of time and effort I've engage in in a long time?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: An exercise in futility
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
Rent an RV....worked out great for Robin Williams....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_(movie)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
I have now spent all afternoon and part of the evening attempting to rent a vehicle that fits two criteria:  it can hold me, my husband, and my daughter, and it can hold a seven foot long package.
Rent a hearse. I think that some funeral homes will allow you to do that. Not positive, though.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
Roll down the window and stick it out, kinda angles sideways? Stick it on top of the non-folding seats? What kind of "7 foot long package" are we talking about here?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »
No place near you rents full size vans?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
Lup's got it. Full size, full length van.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
No mid-size trucks/vans with a bench seat for three in the front?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
I can rent a truck or van from a moving place (uhaul, ryder, etc).   This would be rickety, unsafe, and would only have room for two people. 

My best friend's son just moved back from Kentucky using a U-Haul box body (the 14').  It had a bench seat plenty big for three and was almost new.

U-Haul also rents pickups, the plain models with the bench seats.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=truck-pickup

Brad
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:14:31 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »
Home Depot rents trucks and vans.

So does Best Buy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

go_bang

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »
Any pickup with a full width bench seat can fit three average sized people.  If that's too tight a fit than try to rent a 12 or 15 full-sized passenger van and let the rental agency keep whatever seats you need to remove so the package will fit.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »
How far do you need to carry it?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:09:33 PM »
Home Depot rents trucks and vans.

We ended up going with Home Depot.  All the vans I looked at only had two front bucket seats.  None of the Uhaul and similar places nearby had pickups available, and I'm wary of Uhaul pickups.  Their vehicles in general seem, ime, to be in good repair, and if I'm gonna put kiddo in the middle of a bench seat in a pickup, I want to know that it's at least reasonably safe and reliable. 

Home Depot turned out to be pretty cheap--cheaper than Uhaul, anyway, or a regular car rental place--and the truck was awesome F-250 with a nine foot bed, clean and in good shape.  No problems driving it, even though I haven't driven anything bigger than a Jeep Cherokee in about ten years.  We were transporting a disassembled king-sized bed.  For the past three years, we've had a king-sized mattress on the floor, which was great for baby and toddler safety, but it's harder and harder to get up and down, and I want all of us to be further away from the allergen-ridden carpet.  Really wanted to get the moving done today so we can get it assembled and do rearranging and such tomorrow, as well as the usual weekend stuff. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
So you never told us about the 7' long package.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 09:06:14 AM »
So you never told us about the 7' long package.....

We were transporting a disassembled king-sized bed.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »
Ah....my reading skills failed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
Seven foot package.  Interesting choice of words.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
Seven foot package.  Interesting choice of words.

I know, I wonder if it belongs to her husband?
Look, tiny text!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 02:32:09 AM »
I know, I wonder if it belongs to her husband?

It would explain why she's so happy.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.