Author Topic: Obama Picks Sotomayer for Supreme Court  (Read 37249 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Obama Picks Sotomayer for Supreme Court
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
So do we think it might be possible to stop her nomination, given how poorly she did?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
Unlikely.  The point of confirmation hearings isn't actually to stop the nomination.  It's to look good in front of your constituents.  Even if by some miracle all of the Republicans vote against confirmation, the Democrats still have enough votes to put her on the court.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
Do I not understand correctly that by this stage, the Senators already know - roughly if not in detail - how each one of them will vote, and that the speechmaking is mostly for the benefit of the viewers back home?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
Do I not understand correctly that by this stage, the Senators already know - roughly if not in detail - how each one of them will vote, and that the speechmaking is mostly for the benefit of the viewers back home?

Oh, hell, it was decided as soon as she was nominated. And they don't do anything to "benefit" us. The hearings are just showing off and a chance for senators to look like they are doing their jobs.

Not a chance of stopping her. Not a chance.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
Not always, Harriet Miers was nominated and she didn't get very far very fast. Harry Ried was the one who who mentioned to Bush to nominate her.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »
Not always, Harriet Miers was nominated and she didn't get very far very fast. Harry Ried was the one who who mentioned to Bush to nominate her.

While I think she was rightfully stopped, she was pounded by the Dems and Republicans...heavy opposition.

The Republicans have no backbone to stop "a wise Latina woman" even if they could and the Dems are going to toe the party line in this case.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
I forget that most everyone on this forum is much younger than me.

Charo

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »
Oh, hell, it was decided as soon as she was nominated. And they don't do anything to "benefit" us. The hearings are just showing off and a chance for senators to look like they are doing their jobs.

Not a chance of stopping her. Not a chance.

or in frankin's case to show us just how big an idiot he is :O :angel:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »

Harriet Miers wasn't even supported by the President.  She was a throwaway nomination from the start.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Sotomayor makes it clear where she stands on the 2A
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
If you use weasel words, then you're definitely an Anti.

It was a battle of wits between GOP Sen. Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative senators, and the nominee. Who won? Tell us: @reply us on @AP_Courtside on Twitter.

Here's a capsule: Coburn, a strong advocate of individual gun ownership, found an intriguing way to question Sotomayor on that issue. First, he asked her how she could consider that the right to privacy (not mentioned in the Constitution) is settled law but the right to keep and bear arms (the Second Amendment) as unsettled.

Sotomayor started with her usual answer that judges don't make law. And she noted that the federal government and many states have laws restricting guns, such as possession of firearms by felons. Then the sparing got more interesting.

"Do I have a right to personal self-defense?" Coburn asked.

Sotomayor: "That's an abstract question."

Coburn: "That's what the public wants to know. Yes or no? Do we have that right?"

The judge thought for a moment, then came up with an answer based on her experience as a New York City prosecutor: "If there's a threat of serious injury you can use force. How imminent is the threat? If the threat is in this room and I go home get a gun and come back and shoot you, that may not be legal under New York law."

Coburn: "What the American people want to see is what your gut says."

Sotomayor said that's not how judges decide cases.

-Larry Margasak, AP reporter, Congress
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Sotomayor makes it clear where she stands on the 2A
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
Sotomayor said that's not how judges wise latinas decide cases.

Fixed it for her....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »
What a weasel!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
Sotomayor did not say she agrees with the Heller decision.  Is it simple minded for Americans to know her personal opinion on these issues.  She essentially says her personal opinion is not relevant.  But the fact is she doesn't believe that herself.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Owens

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Most of her answers were not an answer. They were smoke and mirrors.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »
That's an abstract question.

That's easy for someone with armed bodyguards to say.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
Standing Wolf wins one (1) internets.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A Wise Latina Will Add Spice to the Menudo of Justice
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
A spirited and spicy self-defense from the latina lawyer!

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2009/07/a-wise-latina-will-add-spice-to-the-menudo-of-justice.html

A Wise Latina Will Add Spice to the Menudo of Justice

Iowahawk Guest Commentary
by Judge Sonia Sotamayor
Nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court

There has been a great deal written in recent weeks about an old extemporaneous quote of mine in which I stated that "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." One needn't read the prophetic entrails of my culture's colorful Santeria chicken sacrifice ceremonies to realize this out-of-context quote has caused some public concern and confusion. I would like to take this opportunity to clear up any lingering questions, and reassure the American public I will bring to the Supreme Court a jurisprudence borne of the intellect of Louis Brandeis, along with the spicy salsa rhythms of Tito Puente and Celia Cruz. ¡Azucar! ¡Arriba!

First, let me say that in no way did I mean to disparage the legal abilities of white males or others of non-Latina persuasion. Nature endows each of us -- male or female, white or black, Latina or Latino, Caribbean Mestizo or Aleut, Micronesian or Southwest coastal Scandinavian, Tutsi or Hutu -- with the rich, innate, culturally-specific legal DNA and genetic tribal empathy chromosomes that reflect a diverse ethnic rainbow of justice. I was not suggesting that one is somehow better than another; only that they are beautifully, beautifully different.

Indeed, it is only through these differences that America can forge a better, more diverse tradition of legal justice. As you know, the Latina women of my culture are passionate and fiery, and if we learn our famously hot blooded men have been cheating with some raven-haired puta at the cantina, there will be hell to pay. As a Justicia on the Tribunal Supremo I will be naturally vigilant for any colleague who strays from the law, and will not hesitate to clobber them with the rodillo of established legal precedence. Afterwards, when we have reached consensus, there will be hot makeup majority opinions.

This is exactly the kind of wise, precedent-faithful Latina legal approach that I believe will be welcome by others on the Supreme Court bench, all of whom bring their own unique genetic legal wisdom and instinctual empathy. Justices Roberts and Souter for example, with their aloof, sexless, constipated, emotionally-stunted WASPy intellects and natural affinity for preppy white collar criminals. Justice Stevens has this as well, along with a keen grasp for the legal issues facing Americans with senile dementia. As an Irishman, Justice Kennedy enjoys a natural "gift of the gab" and poetically tragic alcoholism. Like you, I imagine that Justice Breyer can be kind of pushy and whiny, but we should also remember that as a Jew he is probably very skilled at cases that involve complicated numbers and math. To the casual observer, it probably seems absurd to have greasy Italian "goodfellas" like Justices Alito and Scalia working inside the legal system, but if we give them a chance they may eventually break the code of Omerta and finally turn state's evidence against their Cosa Nostra bosses. Yes, many have criticized Justice Thomas for being a self-hating "Oreo" and "Uncle Tom," but I like to think that deep inside him still lurks the the DNA of an angry Cadillac-driving streetwise Superfly, ready to show "The Man" that his pimp hand is strong.

And let us not forget the Justice I assume I have been nominate to replace, the great woman jurist Ruth Bader Ginsberg. With her retirement, America will be losing a towering legal Yenta who tackled some of the Court's toughest legal issues with her relentless nagging maternal Jewish guilt complex. Obviously, she will be irreplaceable, short of finding another Yiddishe bubbe from Boca Raton. But as the court's new designated woman I will do my best to emulate her through Latina culture's tradition of the wise old village bruja, ready to cast the Evil Eye spell on those who would subvert our Constitutional rights.

I believe jurisprudence, like cooking, requires many ingredients to make a satisfying meal. In Latina culture we love menudo, the delicious spicy sopa made from simple ingredients. Think of the Constitution as our base ingredient: a bland, tasteless broth of boiled white tripe. Doesn't sound so tempting, does it? Now here's where the fun comes in: all of the cooks gather in the cocina and bring their own special secret ingredients to the mix. Souter salts the pot and Roberts adds Wonder Bread and mayonnaise; Breyer the lox and cream cheese. Thomas drops in fried chicken, and Alito and Scalia spaghetti. Now here comes Kennedy with corned beef and potatoes. Stevens adds the Metamucil. Now we're cooking! Finally, I stir in my special picante blend of Latina legal spices. What started as a boring simple broth is now a delicious crazy justice stew -- that tastes different every time!

And after the menudo is finished, we will go out into the hot evening air of the Supreme Court plaza for drinks. Sangria and Irish whiskey, 2% milk and Colt 45 Malt Liquor. The night breeze is intoxicating, no? Now it is time for the music of justice! The instruments will be taken out, like the Buena Vista Social Club. Carribean drums and mazurkas, the blues guitarra and the bagpipes, creating the caliente salsa beat of la ley! Bailando en la calle, everybody! What's that Justicio Juan Roberto? You are too white and do not have the ritmo to do the dance? Let wise Latina Justicia Sonia show you the steps! Meringue, samba, macarena! ¡Andele! Yes, yes! Lose yourself in the rhythm, Perito Breyer! Together we make the  beautiful Constitutional musica together!

In conclusion, the future of American jurisprudence requires wise jurists from every gender and genetic background -- including Latina. In fact, I seem to remember that my law school books were filled with Latin words. Let us recognize and celebrate those diverse, culturally-specific legal traditions. Together we can build a future where we will all be Livin' La Vida Loca!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

Re: A Wise Latina Will Add Spice to the Menudo of Justice
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Parody, a form of humor.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2009, 12:36:59 AM »
Parody, a form of humor.....

Yep, watch out for us Iowa guys, we'll talk circles around you.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »
Quote from: Iowahawk Guest Commentary
In conclusion, the future of American jurisprudence requires wise jurists from every gender and genetic background -- including Latina. In fact, I seem to remember that my law school books were filled with Latin words. Let us recognize and celebrate those diverse, culturally-specific legal traditions. Together we can build a future where we will all be Livin' La Vida Loca!

Couldn't have said it better myself....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
I can't wait for her opinions once she's on the Court.  No doubt she will provide our side with plenty of quotable material.

She got through the hearings on a combination of long rehearsal, dissembling, Paxil, and the usual GOP fecklessness.  No one should be surprised.  The people we rely on to defend our freedoms have become too comfortable and too insulated and too arrogant.  We need to find a fix for that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
we need to move DC to Alaska :laugh:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
we need to move DC to Alaska :laugh:

If you thought we had a secession movement before, just propose THAT!

=D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."