Author Topic: Obama Picks Sotomayer for Supreme Court  (Read 37247 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Obama Picks Sotomayer for Supreme Court
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2009, 05:52:19 AM »
Define a "rogue decision", please?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »
Here's an recent article written by David Limbaugh on Sotomayer.  It is interesting.

I simply want a judge to be as impartial as is humanly possible and Sotomayer has demonstrated that she personally is far from impartial.  She may be a smart woman, have a long judicial record, etc., but I don't think the Supreme Court is the place for her.

http://www.newsmax.com/limbaugh/Sotomayor_Obama_empathy/2009/06/02/220519.html

Newsmax.com

Sotomayor Fits Obama's 'Get-Even' Power Approach
Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:02 AM

By: David Limbaugh

It amazes me that, for all the attention Judge Sonia Sotomayor has attracted for a racially charged statement in a 2001 speech, few are tying her attitude to President Barack Obama's.

Just as he knew precisely what his 20-year pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, was about, and approved, he knew before he nominated Sonia Sotomayor what she is about, and approved.

In both cases, he just didn't want us to know.

During that 2001 speech at Berkeley, Sotomayor said, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Obama's apologists claim Sotomayor's statement was taken out of context. But the context of her prepared remarks makes the statement more — not less — incriminating.

The sentences preceding the statement were: "Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge (Miriam) Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice (Sandra Day) O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure that I agree with the statement."

First, it's important to note that she's not talking about trial judges, for example, who might be more or less lenient in their sentencing within the prescribed sentencing guidelines, but about appellate judges applying the law.

Next, Sotomayor is not just saying that, as imperfect human beings, judges sometimes rule differently because, try as they might to be impartial, no human being can be totally impartial.

Nor is she saying merely that women, based on their gender, rule differently from men or that those of different nationalities rule differently based on those differences, but that they should do so and that their rulings usually are superior because of it.

Are you getting this? She is saying women and minority judges should not even strive toward objectivity, impartiality, or blind justice. Rather, they should indulge their subjective experiences to apply the law with partiality aforethought, presumably to remedy past perceived or actual wrongs, even if objective application of the law does not warrant it. They should ignore or twist the law to achieve their desired policy result.

To the objection that Sotomayor was just theorizing in a harmless speech, I would respond by reminding you — again — of her pivotal role in that now-notorious concrete case of Ricci v. DeStefano, in which she summarily and cavalierly affirmed a district court's decision to cheat firefighters of their duly earned promotions because no black candidates passed the tests.

Talk about empathy all you want, but she and her judicial colleagues displayed no empathy for those who played by the rules. With strokes of their pens, they discriminated against successful candidates and caused them real damage by changing the rules after the fact — not to mention the damage their ruling might have caused to the quality of fire departments, whose job is to save lives and property.

Those ordinarily quickest to cry "racism" are expressing outrage that certain commentators have used that term to describe Sotomayor's statements and rulings that would be condemned universally if somebody such as, say, Trent Lott, made them. But the fact remains that Sotomayor apparently approves of reverse discrimination, and President Obama must have known that in advance.

Obama is a militant proponent of get-evenism, that is, using the power of the state — actually, misusing the power of the state — to even the score for minorities and/or the economically less fortunate.

After all, Obama is the one who said: "Solving our racial problems in this country will require concrete steps, significant investment. We have a lot of work to do to overcome the long legacy of slavery and Jim Crow. It can't be purchased on the cheap."

Are we to assume that the Civil War and the civil rights movement were "on the cheap"?

And Obama's Justice Department just inexplicably dismissed a slam-dunk case against the New Black Panther members who intimidated voters and polling judges at a Philadelphia polling place on Election Day 2008. This, despite the fact that one civil rights lawyer said it was the most blatant form of voter intimidation he had ever seen and the fact that the defendants didn't even bother to file pleadings with the court or raise any defenses to the charges.

Regardless of whether race played a factor in this dismissal, Obama has a long way to go before claiming he's a post-racial president.

Reverse discrimination is still discrimination, and reverse racism is racism. None of us is exempted of our duty to rise above them.

David Limbaugh is a writer, author, and attorney. His book

"Bankrupt: The Intellectual and Moral Bankruptcy of Today's Democratic Party" recently was released in paperback. To find out more about him, visit his Web site at www.DavidLimbaugh.com.

© 2009 Creator's Syndicate Inc.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
So, has she been officially confirmed yet?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
Here's another story on her that raises some concern. Note the bolded (by me) text. I don't want a Justice that can't bring herself to say "United States".  I don't care if it WAS in her college days, it says volumes about her background beliefs. "North American Congress"? Seriously, go jump in a lake lady.

-----------------------------
http://ninthjustice.nationaljournal.com/2009/06/grading-sotomayors-senior-thes.php#more

Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Stuart Taylor Jr.: Commentary
Grading Sotomayor's Senior Thesis

Judge Sonia Sotomayor said in a 1996 speech at Princeton University's Third World Center (now called the Carl A. Fields Center) that when she arrived at Princeton in 1972 as her high school's valedictorian, "I found out that my Latina background had created difficulties in my writing that I needed to overcome. For example, in Spanish we do not have adjectives. A noun is described with a preposition.... My writing was stilted and overly complicated, my grammar and vocabulary skills weak."

To catch up with her prep school classmates, Sotomayor recalled, "I spent one summer vacation reading children's classics that I had missed in my prior education -- books like Alice In Wonderland, Huckleberry Finn and Pride and Prejudice. My parents spoke Spanish; they didn't know about these books. I spent two other summers teaching myself anew to write."

She taught herself well, graduating summa cum laude and winning the prestigious Pyne Prize in her senior year. The prize was for academic excellence and -- Judge Sotomayor said in the 1996 speech -- "because of my work with Accion Puertorriquena, the Third World Center and other activities in which I participated, like the university's Discipline Committee."

These honors reflect, among other things, a high grade on Sotomayor's 178-page senior thesis, La Historia Ciclica De Puerto Rico. The Impact Of The Life Of Luis Muñoz Marin On The Political And Economic History of Puerto Rico, 1930-1975.

We don't know what the exact grade was, as far as I've seen, but an award-winning history professor -- K.C. Johnson of Brooklyn College and CUNY Graduate Center -- who read it at my request concluded that "the thesis would probably receive an A/A minus or an A minus." (Johnson and I co-authored a 2007 book on the Duke lacrosse rape fraud.)

Here is Johnson's detailed assessment:

This is, by coincidence, a topic about which I know something -- I did a biography of Ernest Gruening, a sometimes friend, sometimes foe of Muñoz Marín, and also did a journal article on Puerto Rico and the Good Neighbor Policy. The thesis is quite good. I'm not sure it's a summa cum laude thesis... but summa grades essentially depend on the competition and the standards at the time.

As for the thesis as a whole, from a historian's perspective: It's solidly researched and fairly well written -- uses lots of data, more or less presents an argument, and has a pedagogical approach (political/economic history, focus on a key political leader in Muñoz Marin) that is very much mainstream. This is basically a pedagogically sound thesis that (with one exception) allows the facts to speak for themselves.

There are also a few jarring elements that contrast to the pedagogical approach. First, I'm curious as to when Sotomayor ceased being a Puerto Rican nationalist who favors independence -- as she says she does in the preface. (The position, as she points out in the thesis, had received 0.6 percent in a 1967 referendum, the most recent such vote before she wrote the thesis.) I don't know that I've seen it reported anywhere that she favored Puerto Rican independence, which has always been very much a fringe position....

Second, her unwillingness to call the Congress the U.S. Congress is bizarre -- in the thesis, it's always referred to as either the 'North American Congress' or the 'mainland Congress.' I guess by the language of her thesis, it should be said that she's seeking an appointment to the North American Supreme Court, subject to advice and consent of the North American Senate. This kind of rhetoric was very trendy, and not uncommon, among the Latin Americanist fringe of the academy.

Third, she had an odd habit of inserting [sic] into quotes not to identify an error but because she disagreed with the (usually innocuous) content of the quotes.

Fourth, she asserted that Muñoz Marín's economic program, called Operation Bootstrap, failed primarily because Puerto Ricans continued to think of themselves as colonials. This, like the reference to the US Congress as the 'North American' Congress, was 1970s-trendy dependency theory rhetoric, but was wholly unsupported by the evidence that she presented in the thesis (and, indeed, by virtually any evidence that has appeared since that time).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2009, 03:11:25 AM »
Sadly, I suspect 90% of the voters will not understand what you're on about. We need something far more solid than the linguistic structure of her college papers. Say, a picture of her eating a baby. Even then it's not guaranteed to work.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
Apparently her "A latina woman would make better decisions" quote was repeated in other speeches.

I'm done with her.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
We know enough already to reject her.  We can do better.  We should do better.

Whether that will matter in the end is doubtful.  There are too many in power who clearly do not care about the principles involved.  There are too many not in power who have the same underlying attitudes and motives as Sotomayor.  What is in process is going to have to play out, that's all.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »
We know enough already to reject her.  We can do better.  We should do better.

Whether that will matter in the end is doubtful.  There are too many in power who clearly do not care about the principles involved.  There are too many not in power who have the same underlying attitudes and motives as Sotomayor.  What is in process is going to have to play out, that's all.

Nothing new.  Justices have been appointed for years based off of how they would benefit the ruling party versus actually apply the abstract of law.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
We're talking about more than just "the ruling party," whatever that means.

We're talking about someone making legal determinations based expressly on racial and ethnic favoritism.  Some may be okay with that, some may justify it, I won't.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
I didn't justify diddle.  Just remember that each appointment was some president's pet.  Some vote with the constitution and law in mind, some vote otherwise. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »
I googled it, but I can't tell. What is the status of her nomination?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »
From what I've seen, Republicans are trying to postpone it to get more time to gather documentation. Dems want the hearings ASAP except wanting to wait long enough for Franken to get there for his "yes" vote.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
I get the part about "North American Congress" - she's highglighting that Puerto Rico is part of America, but has no representation in Congress.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
I get the part about "North American Congress" - she's highglighting that Puerto Rico is part of America, but has no representation in Congress.

"Part of America" is a bit of a stretch.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
"Part of America" is a bit of a stretch.

Point taken there.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Especially since its closest "North American" cultural tie is to NYC.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
Especially since its closest "North American" cultural tie is to NYC.  =D

It still weirds me out to call a guy "Jesus" in English (as is custom in NYC in certain communities), even though it's the same name as the "hey - soos" you see used for latinos in other parts of the country.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
It still weirds me out to call a guy "Jesus" in English (as is custom in NYC in certain communities), even though it's the same name as the "hey - soos" you see used for latinos in other parts of the country.

If it makes you feel any better, the English pronounced "Joshua", and very common American name, is pretty much the  same name. Latin guys named Jesus aren't usually (religiously) uncomfortable with an English speaker mispronouncing their name as "Jesus", because cultural tradition is that the written "Jesus" only denotes the  Messiah, if followed by a more specific denominator, such as "El Christo". The Christian Messiah "Jesus" undoubtedly had loads of friends/aquaintances/relatives with the same first name (and I doubt if there is a single person in this world who can be definitively sure how you could correctly pronounce it circa 2,000 years later). I had an agnostic/atheist/anti-religious philosophy professor in college who preferered to refer to the historical Jesus as "Joshua ben Joseph". Without criticizing his philosophy or teaching technique, I have to say that is at least as accurate a historical translation of his name, translated into English,  as any other.

(Note that I only speak and write English, and only read Spanish and other Latin languages in a halting, illiterate style, I have no moral reservation whatsoever in the notion that Urdu, Arabic, Hindi or [here name language fron darkest Peru] other language might have a better, more accurate, nomenclature for the Messiah or if you prefer "the historical figure, now known as Jesus", than English language... )

http://reformedanswers.org/answer.asp/file/99736.qna/category/nt/page/questions/site/

Joshua = Jesus?
Question
Is Jesus called Joshua anywhere in the Bible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer
The answer is “yes and no.” Or, if you prefer, “sort of.” That is, in the New Testament “Jesus” is the English translation of the Greek name “Iesous” when “Iesous” refers to the Savior. “Joshua” is a common English translation of “Iesous” when “Iesous” refers to someone other than the Savior (Luke 3:29; Acts 7:45; Heb. 4:8). This use of “Joshua” is a stylistic substitution, probably intended in most translations to prevent confusion between the Savior and the others.

More commonly, “Joshua” is found in the Old Testament as the English translation of the Hebrew name “Yehoshua.” In the Septuagint, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament, “Yehoshua” is translated as “Iesous.” In Aramaic, the language Jesus probably spoke most often, the name is translated “Yeshua.”

So, “Yehosuah,” “Iesous,” “Yeshua,” “Joshua” and “Jesus” are all essentially the same name. “Jesus” is usually preferred in the New Testament because it is a transliteration of the Greek “Iesous.” Some people prefer “Yehoshua” or “Joshua” because they believe that it is the true root name prior to its translation into Aramaic and/or Greek. Others prefer “Yeshua” because they believe that is what Jesus was actually called by those who knew him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:33:19 AM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »
I don't think I have heard anyone talk so slow and not make any sense.

She sure likes to blink her eyes alot.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:04:21 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
Blinks a lot and says that her statements were taken out of context. If so, what was the context in which she meant them? There's not a lot of wiggle room in what she's said, or in her decision in the Ricci case.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
i really wish they were setup to play the tapes when she starts that out of context shtick, at least then it would be entertaining =D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
No tapes, but we have transcripts:

Senator Sessions: "Judge Sotomayor, you have been widely quoted as having said, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life," yet you are now saying that your remarks have been taken out of context. Would you care to provide the context in which you meant the "wise Latina woman" quote?

Sotomayor: "Certainly, senator. I was referring to Charo."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
No tapes, but we have transcripts:

Senator Sessions: "Judge Sotomayor, you have been widely quoted as having said, “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life," yet you are now saying that your remarks have been taken out of context. Would you care to provide the context in which you meant the "wise Latina woman" quote?

Sotomayor: "Certainly, senator. I was referring to Charo."

Nice!

Well the Bill O'Reilly is going to run the highlights of the dumb answers tonight on the O'Reilly factor. I really don't like that pompus butthole but I may have to watch it with popcorn in hand.

Yesterday when I was watching some of the Republican questioning, looked like she was on the edge of blowing up. She was fighting hard not to go into full frothing at the mouth afterburner nuclear meltdown.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
Who is Charo?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »
Who is Charo?

Google is your friend.

Uranus is a gas giant.