Author Topic: The new Dodge Charger  (Read 12066 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: The new Dodge Charger
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
I was hoping to have a new Charger for my roadtrip today, instead the motorpool had an Impala for me

The new Impala is a pretty cool utilitarian sedan. The one with the 3.8 liter V8 has decent acceleration. My dad's has over 169,000 miles on it. The only trouble he's had with the engine is it burns a little oil. Damn good engine.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
Let's see......a genuine 800yd. cartridge vs. a 300yd. cartridge (not counting the pistol round).....guess who I'm putting my money on....  :cool:

Well, for MY part, I didn't want to KILL the boy, simply smack some sense into him.  :laugh:

(I'm joking, of course- some people just don't care for old things and history. De gustibus non est disputantem.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 07:39:15 PM »
Well, for MY part, I didn't want to KILL the boy, simply smack some sense into him.  :laugh:

I didn't say "kill 'im"....then he wouldn't learn nothing....but he could still do a lot of learnin' with just one kneecap.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
Yes, because I'll just be standing out there in the open waiting for a head shoty

On a serious note, I care a lot about history in general.  I just am not a big "car guy".  So a vehicle's history is pretty much irrelevant to me.  I just like the things I actually use, which is what a car is to me, to be new, sophisticated, and have the latest in technology.  A late 00's Charger looks cool and mean, and is just what I would want to drive.  An old Charger's history would be lost on me and all I would be able to focus on is it's lack of modern amenities. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 10:48:41 PM »
Well, anybody who has "Formerly taurusowner" in his sig line is probably not a motorhead. ;)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:57 PM »
lack of amenities =/= obsolescence

A sixties-vintage car may be a little out-dated, but obsolete's kind of a strong word. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
One good thing that can be said about those "obsolete" cars is that the cost to keep them running was quite low. If your alternator went, you could get a new one for about $25, and even someone with almost no mechanical skills could replace one in less than half an hour. Starters, too, ran only about $25. If the car didn't start, you replaced the points and condenser for about $3, or checked the butterfly on the carburetor.

Today a new alternator will cost around $300, and you need a diagnostic system to figure out why your car doesn't start. Granted, today's cars are much more reliable, but expensive when something goes wrong.

Also, it's much harder today to tell one brand from another. Aerodynamic styling has taken become more important than brand distinction. I can't tell a Mercedes from a BMW from a Honda from a Chevy until I get up close enough to see the emblem. There's only a few cars that really stand out.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »
stuff

I was just about to say that first bit.  However, for what it's worth, I do not believe that newer cars are any more dependable than older cars.  The same crap still breaks, it's just harder to replace the part - which is itself twice as expensive.  Now, there are exceptions - some cars are overbuilt(Crown Victoria, early Lexus LS400, late Acura TL), or just well-designed(2000-2006 Accord, any recent 3.8 Impala) - but on the whole I wouldn't say that the mass-market cars are any more reliable than they have ever been.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:45:08 AM by BReilley »

taurusowner

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »
Well, anybody who has "Formerly taurusowner" in his sig line is probably not a motorhead. ;)

Actually, I've got the PT140 Pro on my hip right now :)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:18 AM »
Enough internet bravado.   =|

Y'all want to posture and perform random acts of puffery, take it to email or PM.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"