Author Topic: Get Ready for Inflation and Higher Interest Rates  (Read 2671 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Get Ready for Inflation and Higher Interest Rates
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »
Egads.

Yeah, I thought it was coming, I just didn't think the numbers were quite that outrageous.

I am really regretting not buying gold when I got out of the service in 1999.

Get Ready for Inflation and Higher Interest Rates
The unprecedented expansion of the money supply could make the '70s look benign.

By ARTHUR B. LAFFER

Rahm Emanuel was only giving voice to widespread political wisdom when he said that a crisis should never be "wasted." Crises enable vastly accelerated political agendas and initiatives scarcely conceivable under calmer circumstances. So it goes now.

Here we stand more than a year into a grave economic crisis with a projected budget deficit of 13% of GDP. That's more than twice the size of the next largest deficit since World War II. And this projected deficit is the culmination of a year when the federal government, at taxpayers' expense, acquired enormous stakes in the banking, auto, mortgage, health-care and insurance industries.

With the crisis, the ill-conceived government reactions, and the ensuing economic downturn, the unfunded liabilities of federal programs -- such as Social Security, civil-service and military pensions, the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation, Medicare and Medicaid -- are over the $100 trillion mark. With U.S. GDP and federal tax receipts at about $14 trillion and $2.4 trillion respectively, such a debt all but guarantees higher interest rates, massive tax increases, and partial default on government promises.

But as bad as the fiscal picture is, panic-driven monetary policies portend to have even more dire consequences. We can expect rapidly rising prices and much, much higher interest rates over the next four or five years, and a concomitant deleterious impact on output and employment not unlike the late 1970s.

About eight months ago, starting in early September 2008, the Bernanke Fed did an abrupt about-face and radically increased the monetary base -- which is comprised of currency in circulation, member bank reserves held at the Fed, and vault cash -- by a little less than $1 trillion. The Fed controls the monetary base 100% and does so by purchasing and selling assets in the open market. By such a radical move, the Fed signaled a 180-degree shift in its focus from an anti-inflation position to an anti-deflation position.
[Our Exploding Money Supply]

The percentage increase in the monetary base is the largest increase in the past 50 years by a factor of 10 (see chart nearby). It is so far outside the realm of our prior experiential base that historical comparisons are rendered difficult if not meaningless. The currency-in-circulation component of the monetary base -- which prior to the expansion had comprised 95% of the monetary base -- has risen by a little less than 10%, while bank reserves have increased almost 20-fold. Now the currency-in-circulation component of the monetary base is a smidgen less than 50% of the monetary base. Yikes!

Bank reserves are crucially important because they are the foundation upon which banks are able to expand their liabilities and thereby increase the quantity of money.

Banks are required to hold a certain fraction of their liabilities -- demand deposits and other checkable deposits -- in reserves held at the Fed or in vault cash. Prior to the huge increase in bank reserves, banks had been constrained from expanding loans by their reserve positions. They weren't able to inject liquidity into the economy, which had been so desperately needed in response to the liquidity crisis that began in 2007 and continued into 2008. But since last September, all of that has changed. Banks now have huge amounts of excess reserves, enabling them to make lots of net new loans.

The way a bank or the banking system makes new loans is conceptually pretty simple. Banks find an entity that they believe to be credit-worthy that also wants a loan, and in exchange for the new company's IOU (i.e., loan) the bank opens up a checking account for the customer. For the bank's sake, the hope is that the interest paid by the borrower more than makes up for the cost and risk of the loan. The recently ballyhooed "stress tests" on banks are nothing more than checking how well a bank can weather differing levels of default risk.

What's important for the overall economy, however, is how fast these loans are made and how rapidly the quantity of money increases. For our purposes, money is the sum total of all currency in circulation, bank demand deposits, other checkable deposits, and travelers checks (economists call this M1). When reserve constraints on banks are removed, it does take the banks time to make new loans. But given sufficient time, they will make enough new loans until they are once again reserve constrained. The expansion of money, given an increase in the monetary base, is inevitable, and will ultimately result in higher inflation and interest rates. In shorter time frames, the expansion of money can also result in higher stock prices, a weaker currency, and increases in commodity prices such as oil and gold.

At present, banks are doing just what we would expect them to do. They are making new loans and increasing overall bank liabilities (i.e., money). The 12-month growth rate of M1 is now in the 15% range, and close to its highest level in the past half century.

With an increased trust in the overall banking system, the panic demand for money has begun to and should continue to recede. The dramatic drop in output and employment in the U.S. economy will also reduce the demand for money. Reduced demand for money combined with rapid growth in money is a surefire recipe for inflation and higher interest rates. The higher interest rates themselves will also further reduce the demand for money, thereby exacerbating inflationary pressures. It's a catch-22.

It's difficult to estimate the magnitude of the inflationary and interest-rate consequences of the Fed's actions because, frankly, we haven't ever seen anything like this in the U.S. To date what's happened is potentially far more inflationary than were the monetary policies of the 1970s, when the prime interest rate peaked at 21.5% and inflation peaked in the low double digits. Gold prices went from $35 per ounce to $850 per ounce, and the dollar collapsed on the foreign exchanges. It wasn't a pretty picture.

Now the Fed can, and I believe should, do what it must to mitigate the inevitable consequences of its unwarranted increase in the monetary base. It should contract the monetary base back to where it otherwise would have been, plus a slight increase geared toward economic expansion. Absent this major contraction in the monetary base, the Fed should increase reserve requirements on member banks to absorb the excess reserves. Given that banks are now paid interest on their reserves and short-term rates are very low, raising reserve requirements should not exact too much of a penalty on the banking system, and the long-term gains of the lessened inflation would many times over warrant whatever short-term costs there might be.

Alas, I doubt very much that the Fed will do what is necessary to guard against future inflation and higher interest rates. If the Fed were to reduce the monetary base by $1 trillion, it would need to sell a net $1 trillion in bonds. This would put the Fed in direct competition with Treasury's planned issuance of about $2 trillion worth of bonds over the coming 12 months. Failed auctions would become the norm and bond prices would tumble, reflecting a massive oversupply of government bonds.

In addition, a rapid contraction of the monetary base as I propose would cause a contraction in bank lending, or at best limited expansion. This is exactly what happened in 2000 and 2001 when the Fed contracted the monetary base the last time. The economy quickly dipped into recession. While the short-term pain of a deepened recession is quite sharp, the long-term consequences of double-digit inflation are devastating. For Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke it's a Hobson's choice. For me the issue is how to protect assets for my grandchildren.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Racehorse

• friend
Re: Get Ready for Inflation and Higher Interest Rates
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
Forget gold. Go buy all the crap you've always wanted on debt. Leverage yourself to the hilt. Then, pay it all off with one paycheck of an enormously devalued currency.

That's my plan. And I'll be doing my patriotic American duty by stimulating the economy at the same time!

Of course that plan assumes that wages also inflate along with prices.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
Forget gold. Go buy all the crap you've always wanted on debt. Leverage yourself to the hilt. Then, pay it all off with one paycheck of an enormously devalued currency.

That's my plan. And I'll be doing my patriotic American duty by stimulating the economy at the same time!

I'm kind of thinking that in buying a new vehicle. I drive a 98 GMC Jimmy, maybe I can get $4500 for it with the new voucher and go buy a new Subaru Forester next month. Wait for inflation. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »

My wife and I are working our tails off so we can get into a house by the end of the year for the same reason (of course that $8K tax credit is nice too).

I have commented on this massive increase previously. The problem is, I don't know what will happen (the money multiplier process is stalled by banks wanting excess reserves), IF the doomsday scenario will happen (massive inflation unchecked by the Fed), or when it will happen if it does. I am more than a little worried, though.

However, if we get the house, at least we'll not be renting anymore which was a goal of mine to begin with.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
Pretty much the only comfort I take in pondering a hyperinflation or very high inflation scenario is the thought that I'd easily be able to pay off my mortgage, so at least I wouldn't have to worry about losing my house.

Again, of course, that assumes that my salary inflates along with consumer prices, which may or may not hold true.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:38:55 PM by Racehorse »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
I am really regretting not buying gold when I got out of the service in 1999.

You mean like September 1999 when gold was about $250/oz and I had about 30K worth of service related bonus money? I know what you mean, I didn't buy any gold either.

Hopefully though the inflated mess will devalue my mortgage, in a few years 3,000 a month will both buy a soda and pay my mortgage.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »
Hopefully though the inflated mess will devalue my mortgage, in a few years 3,000 a month will both buy a soda and pay my mortgage.  =D

That'd be great! 

Provided you're making more 5,000 a month at that time... :-(

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
I have a little gold and silver. But I have seed in the ground and a lot of game on the place. So it's a wait and see from here.
I wouldn't count on your pay staying at the same rate as inflation if it get's out of hand. You have to pay for the business before you can give someone a raise. It all goes hand in hand. Prices go up people have to make more. But not everyone makes more.
jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
Laffer is a bright guy, but he's leaving out an important detail here.  Bank reserves only matter if the banks are willing to lend against those reserves.  So far, banks haven't been willing lend much of anyhthing (prospective borrowers haven't wanted to borrow much of anything, either).  Bernanke made all of that reserve cash available precisely to encourage bank lending, and it just plain hasn't been working.  Not yet, anyway.

I think the next few months will be really interesting with regard to inflation/deflation.  We've been in a nasty deflationary spell for the past year or so, but that may be beginning to reverse.  If the population really takes all this "end of the recession" and "green shoots" talk to heart, then maybe they'll start spending again.  More importantly, maybe people and businesses will start to borrow again, and maybe banks will start to lend again. 

If credit begins moving again, then keep a close eye on what Bernanke does.  I suspect that he'll yank all that reserve cash away just as fast as he pushed it out.  If he doesn't, then take out a new mortgage.

I note that there's been a lot of new corporate bonds offered for sale this week, and so far they've found a solid bid...

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
...We've been in a nasty deflationary spell for the past year or so...

Two months of minuscule deflation, March (-0.38%) and April(-.074%) does not make a year or so of deflation.  FTR, the rate of inflation for 2008 was +3.85%.
http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

Also, home mortgage rates have started to rise, lately, and never got down to the point where I had determined it might be worth my while to re-finance (30 year fixed, 4.5APR, zero points, etc.).
http://mortgage-x.com/trends.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7148582/

Add in that fed.gov is havning to raise the interest rates on bonds to make them attractive enough so that folks will buy them, and I don't see much of a deflationary trend.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »
Two months of minuscule deflation, March (-0.38%) and April(-.074%) does not make a year or so of deflation.  FTR, the rate of inflation for 2008 was +3.85%.
http://www.bls.gov/cpi/
CPI is a crummy measure of inflation/deflation.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »
CPI is a crummy measure of inflation/deflation.

Name a better one than CPI.  CPI has is problems, but you haven't brought any data to the table.

Of course, shadowstats.com shows not even the minuscule inflation the BLS is claiming with the CPI.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
Name a better one than CPI.  CPI has is problems, but you haven't brought any data to the table.

Of course, shadowstats.com shows not even the minuscule inflation the BLS is claiming with the CPI.
How about the price of money relative to other financial instruments?  Compared to stocks, or or real estate, or commodities, or foreign currencies, the ol' greenback has gained tremendous value over the past year.  Prices for cash equivalents, treasuries and the like, have generally risen over the past year.   By contrast, CPI is simply a measure of a handful of consumer widgets, and consumer widgets don't define the value of money.

If it's data you want, there's a columnist I like to follow, Mike Mish Shedlock, who actually ran the numbers on what CPI would be if it accurately tracked the price changes in real estate.  See the results here.  Why do we care what CPI would be if it followed real estate prices accurately?  The home is the average family's biggest expense, and also their greatest store of wealth.  Real estate has the highest weighting of any of the goods in CPI, and it is computed using a completely ridiculous methodology. 

Now, I've not seen a simple single statistic that is a satisfactory measure of inflation/deflation.  Generally I like to look at the amount of money in the economy, and its ease of availability.  Loosely speaking, in a fractional reserve money system like ours, bank lending represents the bulk of the money supply, so the money supply increases with more lending and decreases with less lending.  As a starting point, I'd suggest looking at the amount of bank credit extended throughout the economy.  Increasing credit = inflation.  Decreasing credit = deflation.

Over the past year the amount of credit extended into the economy has shrunken dramatically, and with it so has the money supply.  Think of the market crash, and all of the deleveraging,  and the bubbles bursting, in that context.  It's clearly deflation, not inflation.  Inflation may be the major problem in the future, but it definitely wasn't the problem over the past 6-12 months.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:39:41 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »
Don't have time to properly address all your points, but here's a shot, using as given most of your assumptions.

How about the price of money relative to other financial instruments?  Compared to stocks, or or real estate, or commodities, or foreign currencies, the ol' greenback has gained tremendous value over the past year.  Prices for cash equivalents, treasuries and the like, have generally risen over the past year.   By contrast, CPI is simply a measure of a handful of consumer widgets, and consumer widgets don't define the value of money.

Stuff is stuff, whoever is buying it.  Consumers just happen to be at the end of the line.

As I see it, the CPI and other aggregate indices that measure consumer goods are a roll-up number, since the index goods use commodities as components.  Yes, detail is lost, but there are relatively few indices that capture so many sectors of the economy and attempt to weight that by what a human would actually purchase.  I am certainly open to discussions as to methodology, but most of the indices I have seen are open to attack vis a vis methodology.

The various aggregate commodity indices show a big drop mid 2008 back to 2003/1998 values, but that the indices have steadily increased since then and are now where they were in early 2004.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^DJC&t=my&l=off&z=l&q=l&c=

If it's data you want, there's a columnist I like to follow, Mike Mish Shedlock, who actually ran the numbers on what CPI would be if it accurately tracked the price changes in real estate.  See the results here.  Why do we care what CPI would be if it followed real estate prices accurately?  The home is the average family's biggest expense, and also their greatest store of wealth.  Real estate has the highest weighting of any of the goods in CPI, and it is computed using a completely ridiculous methodology. 

I gawked at that website.  MMS has an interesting idea, replacing the OER with the CSH home prices.  I can see why that might be done and of use.  Not sure it is an improvement over the BLS CPI methodology.

For instance, the following note is revealing:
"3. I've modified the CS-CPI to reflect the 20-City Case-Shiller Index vs. the national Case-Shiller Index used in last month's chart. The quarterly national index lags by far too much"

If you look at those 20 cities, they are disproportionately weighted in the states with the housing bubbles: CA, FL, NV, AZ.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124092346703363431.html#articleTabs%3Dinteractive
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/USA_home_appreciation_1998_2006.svg

IOW, MMS has sacrificed accuracy for timeliness and has exaggerated the effect of housing prices in his CS-CPI.

Another point is that the CS-CPI measures housing prices, but does not account for the fact that most people do not pay such costs as they are mostly staying put in their existing home or rental:
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2009/03/existing-home-sales-turnover-rate.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pMscxxELHEg/ScfN_Xa3LMI/AAAAAAAAE3Y/STUPRmAkkKw/s1600-h/ExistingHomeSalesTurnover.jpg

Frankly, the more I think about it, the less credence I think I would give to the CS-CPI (as opposed to the various Case-Shiller indices on their own terms).  CS-CPI would predict significantly higher inflation during the housing bubble, when the turnover rate was 9.5%.  Meaning, only only ~9.5% of the Case-Shiller Index increase in housing prices was realized.  A similarly large deflation is shown during & after the burst, when turnover is a smidgen over 6%.

If one is going to argue that the large amount of money the Fed & TARP has showered on banks that is not being lent out or moved through the market is not to be considered inflationary, I find it difficult to also swallow that theoretical home values of homes that are not turning over ought to be included in the inflation/deflation calculation.

According to your reference to MMS above, taking into account commodities and real estate, there was unreported inflation for years (2000-ish to mid 2008) and now unreported deflation (mid 2008-JAN2009).  The various commodity indices have, for the most part, stopped slipping and are at or exceeding 2003/2004 values and climbing since JAN2009.

Which brings forth the questions:
1. If the unreported inflation & deflation were reality, are we not near where we started before most of the unreported inflation? 

2. Given the deflationary indices you listed, have we not not stabilized WRT inflation/deflation since ~JAN2009?

3. Might any more Fed/TARP money dumps increase the current (since JAN2009) trend of higher commodity prices and lead to inflation?

4. If the banks stop sitting on that money already stuffed into them and start loaning it out, won't that cause inflation, as well?

Now, I've not seen a simple single statistic that is a satisfactory measure of inflation/deflation.  Generally I like to look at the amount of money in the economy, and its ease of availability.  Loosely speaking, in a fractional reserve money system like ours, bank lending represents the bulk of the money supply, so the money supply increases with more lending and decreases with less lending.  As a starting point, I'd suggest looking at the amount of bank credit extended throughout the economy.  Increasing credit = inflation.  Decreasing credit = deflation.

Interesting.  I assume you truly mean, "As a starting point," as there are no services or goods involved.

Over the past year the amount of credit extended into the economy has shrunken dramatically, and with it so has the money supply.  Think of the market crash, and all of the deleveraging,  and the bubbles bursting, in that context.  It's clearly deflation, not inflation.  Inflation may be the major problem in the future, but it definitely wasn't the problem over the past 6-12 months.

Well, the point in the OP was not about inflationary risk due to gov't action 12 months ago, but inflationary risk since gov't has been dumping unprecedented amounts of money into the system, which began in the fall of 2008.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »
Eh, this is getting far more involved than I have the time or interest for.  I don't want to get in a line by line debate over Case Shiller vs OER or anythign like that.  I just wanted to point out an example of how making a simple and sensible change in computing CPI can cause it to flip from indicating inflation to indicating deflation.  CPI is just too vague and sketchy of a metric.

CPI != inflation

Bank lending == inflation

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »
If the banks stop sitting on that money already stuffed into them and start loaning it out, won't that cause inflation, as well?

Of course.  What Laffer's piece didn't get to is the velocity of money problem, and the data is that it's cratering (http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/mt/page12.pdf). The Fed has stuffed the banks full of cash and M0 has exploded, but the money is not being used to create credit faster than it is being destroyed in the economy.  Banks are taking the bailout money and repairing their balance sheets instead of lending it out. People are also repairing their personal balance sheets by increasing their savings rate and reducing borrowing, sometimes involuntarily. There is plenty more of debt destruction coming too - this is projected alt-A resets:

And there's $750B of option ARMs, which have a startling 30%+ delinquency rate.