Author Topic: How many on APS have been banned on THR or TFL?  (Read 18879 times)

Justin

• friend
How many on APS have been banned on THR or TFL?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »
Before somebody predictably says "go start your own forum then" (real gutsy statement BTW) I actually started two quite sometime ago, and bought the domain for one of them.  One I created because it's predecessor had disappeared from the net and the other was a direct result of being sick to death with nazis and other bullys that masquerade as "moderators."
Wow.

You made it through almost a whole post before tapping out on a Godwin.   Bravo.

It's patently obvious as to why you were banned from THR.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 01:48:23 PM »
Just my opinion , based on this thread alone and not any previous interaction with LawDog , I hope they throw your ass off of here too!

You have the scruples of a whoring televangelist , lets go on APS and call the owner and staff a bunch of jerks ! woohoo ! But all arguments leveled at you must not be an attack on you , only logical argument allowed !

Oh wait , all 3 forums have pretty much the same staff , and 2 of them have the same owner, duhhhh, nothing like dumping where you play rolleyes

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 01:51:28 PM »
I hope the number will soon decrease by one.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Strings

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 02:18:45 PM »
>I have not so much as implied anything of the sort.  All I am doing with this topic is discussing something that I believe virtually never gets discussed because of fear of bannings.<emphasis mine

I hate to rain on your parade, but it isn't a fear of banning that keeps people from talking about it, but an honest lack of belief that there's a problem...

Again, you agreed to the rules. They feel you violated them (FYI: were you to have posted that pic on any forum *I* moderate, you would've been banned too). They aren't required to explain chapter and verse as to why they ban you.

They're chosen by the owner because he (in this case, either Oleg or Rich) feels they can be even-handed in their judgements. DO some over-step? Sure... they're human too. A good mod will check with other mods, to make sure they AREN'T overstepping/getting personal...

Crying here about it just makes you seem like a whiner. Get on with life man...

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 02:19:36 PM »
I'm banned from THR and guess what, it's my fault.

I personally attacked WildAlaska, got a warning, was too stupid to heed it and got banned.

What you don't understand is that both Admins of THR and TFL are trying to make/maintain an upperclass board.  Yet they are allowing some "over the line" posts but that picture was way over the line IMHO but that is all it is, opinion.

I've been warned on TFL and instead of not heeding it like I did on THR, I am trying my best to stay within the rules.  

I've read your posts, both here and on TFL, and they seem to want to spark an arguement or to get a raise out of the general membership.  I agree with you sometime, other times I just shake my head and move on.

I don't think that the rules are "hidden" or Vague.  What I got from both THR and TFL is basically:

1.  All posts must be Firearms Related
2.  This is a family board
3.  No personal attacks, trolling, or foul language
4.  We reserve the right to cancel (ban) your account at any time for any reason

I broke the rules (number 3 in my list) and you broke the rules (number 2 in my list).  You had been warned, instead of dropping it (the issue) and moved on you chose to fight, they chose to ban you.

I don't always agree with the Staff on all of the boards that I am on and I don't like the Banned for Life rule because people do/can change but it's not my board so I can only play in their sandbox until I am asked to leave.

Wayne

HForrest

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »
I'll agree with the others- it is a privately owned forum, they can have their rules if they like, etc. I'd never get in an argument with a moderator if they told me something was wrong with my posting, and if you don't like the rules, tough, it's understandable why they'd ban you.

-BUT-

I think people are going somewhat harsh on you. I do not agree with how the mods have banned a couple people. I think they do unfairly enforce the rules at times, and I'm actually mildy pleased someone had the balls to post a complaint on this forum. In the end, it's their forum- they can do whatever they want. There's nothing really wrong with wanting to vent, though.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »
the moderators and other staff at THR and TFL are downright bullys.
My experience is just the opposite.  I have regretfully gone overboard far too often, and I've never received a PM from a Moderator telling me either to shut up or go away.  (One thread was closed immediately following one of my posts, though  Sad

The moderators have been very tolerant of my excesses, perhaps because my excesses are reactive rather than proactive.  ("Hey, I didn't start it ... Smiley  )

Regardless, I think they do a terrific job, and I measure that by the level of civility on both THR and TFL, and the very high signal to noise ratio.  The contrast with non-moderated sites is the proof.

Name a firearms website that's better.  I'll bet you can't, otherwise you'd go there.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:20 PM »
My only experience with this kind of thing was a PM from a mod (after posting that an obvious troll might be more comfortable at DU) inviting me to re-read the forum rules. I was somewhat miffed, but house rules are house rules. If I want to stay and play, the rules apply.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 02:50:59 PM »
(after posting that an obvious troll might be more comfortable at DU)
Yikes, I've insinuated exactly that several times !  I must be living a charmed life.  Smiley

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 03:00:03 PM »
Yikes, I've insinuated exactly that several times !  I must be living a charmed life.
Or you've been more diplomatic in your statements.  I've also suggested to a few posters on THR that perhaps they'd be more at home at DU.Com, in just those words.  Not a peep from the Mods. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2005, 03:24:06 PM »
MPA- it isn't what you say on those forums that get you banned, its how you say it. I spent about 2 weeks and about 30 posts arguing something with Mr. Lucibella on a TFL thread, and was never threatened with expulsion. There are no 'thought police' or 'mind nazis' running those boards.  You post a tasteless photo on a board, are asked to tone it down, then respond with petulant whining. No wonder you got banned. I have a feeling that the moderators and owners of those boards have daytime jobs and don't have time in their busy schedules to teach people to act like adults.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
1- 800 bwa waaa waaaa
Brian
<><
:)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 03:37:45 PM »
Of course we want people in our homes to follow our rules, but if someone violates some house rule of yours, do you immediately get parental, arrogant, and vague with them, or do maintain POLITENESS YOURSELF?  Of course, you would try to maintain goodwill unless the situation was quite egregious.  You wouldn't immediately grab a guest and physically throw them out if they didn't put a drink on a coaster would you?
I would ask that person to use a drink coaster. If they refused citing the fact that they don't use them in their home, they get tossed out on their ear. If a guest were to light up a cigarette without asking, they would get tossed without explanation because its an even bigger offense. People who have no respect for me or my home get tossed and banned, not unlike what the owners of the TFL and THR do.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2005, 03:38:29 PM »
I got warned for asking someone how they tied their shoes after they stated that the only way a woman should be in the white house is with her head in a man's lap.

No point in whining about it. I just quit posting there. I disagree with what they deem acceptable vs. unacceptable but its not my forum.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2005, 03:38:44 PM »
Whats the point of owning a board if you can control/censure the user?  It can't be just the belief of free speech since most people support that right without the need to CONTROL.  Besides TFL for sure has an agenda but since I respect private property rights, go for it!  It's cheaper than a Rolex.
Career Corrections

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2005, 04:13:56 PM »
I agree with brimic, it's how you say it.  I've had many spirited debates with Mr. Lucibella also, most when the board was younger (1st up) and didn't get banned, threatened, etc..

If you notice in my first post here I said:
I've read your posts, both here and on TFL, and they seem to want to spark an arguement or to get a raise out of the general membership.
Yet I didn't call you a Troll because I saw what you were trying to do (get debates going) but just the way you did it was borderline in my opinion yet I still read your posts to see which ones I could join without it being closed.  I didn't find many and 99% of the time when I thought it would be closed, it was.

I have noticed on TFL that Sensop and Antiplatis(sp?) seem abit heavy handed but they were picked by the Admin, the owner, so therefore you should have Emailed him (Rich) and expressed your thoughts in a civil and polite manner.

And, I don't know if you have noticed but APS is owned by the owner of THR.  You see me here don't you, you see yourself here don't you, you see WildAlaska here don't you?  All of us mentioned have been banned from THR but Oleg and Staff have given us a chance to at least enjoy the main members conversations here since we can't there.  If they were all "bullies" then we wouldn't be posting here either as an extention of our ban from there.

But, I completely understand where you are coming from, with the exception of THR, the other two boards I was banned from, after a change of management and a hell of a fight after Bill died (GunSlinger), were bull crap but I can't refute the banning from THR.  Sure, I was angry at first and even did some stupid things afterward but then I started (and continue) to grow up.  I messed up, I think the punishment is alittle harsh but it's not my decision to make.

So, I go where I can, keep the rules in my mind, think twice, post once, and if I go over the line I hope that I will get a PM but if all I get is an email thanking me for my time but I'm no longer wanted, I just have to move on.

Wayne

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2005, 06:14:03 PM »
Not I...

I've had direct communication with a number of the mods at thr, never a problem. They know if I step over the line they can close or pull my thread or comments and I will not whine. I try my best to follow their rules. One thing you may or may not know is the server THR AND APS are on was purchased with donations from quite a few of the members you see there. $5000 total IIRC. So a lot of us feel we have a little piece of it and tend to follow the rules more closely because of that. If you could explain to me how that picture you posted was gun related I'd say MAYBE you had a leg to stand on. Here at APS it would have been fine. Pathetic maybe, but still acceptable.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 06:44:38 PM »
I spent part of the evening with a THR/TFL moderator. We met at a gunshop, where he purchased a new gun and used it to bully me unmercifully for the next hour or so...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 06:56:23 PM »
Wow, Barbara, I'm not sure if I'm more surprised that someone made the comment or that you're response was deemed to be innapropriate.

I really dislike staunch adherence to rules with no consideration of unique circumstances.

That said, I do think THR is run well, overall, and like folks say it's their backyard. I've not yet had a problem, surprisingly.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 07:06:52 PM »
Why don't you tell us what really happened?  I'd be willing to bet it went something like this:  You posted the tasteless picture.  It was deleted or you were asked to remove it.  
You then got belligerent just like you've done in just about every freakin thread you've started since you came to this forum.  You got booted.  Am I right?  Of course I am.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 07:42:58 PM »
I'm with most of the rest.

I've certainly partaken in my fair share of controversy, and have never so much as been warned, despite heated debates.

I would disrespectfully submit that you are banned for offensive behavior, attitude, and content.  There are worse things than four letter words.

I almost didn't post this because I worried that it wasn't being respectful, but while I was willing to afford you respect initially, you've certainly forfeited whatever respect I had.

It's been made pretty clear that you aren't particularly wanted here.

In case you needed to hear it one more time:  I'm tired of seeing the sorts of posts you seem to consider de rigeur.  Stop or leave, please.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2005, 08:00:07 PM »
This thread is rather fascinating in that the question posed is actually quite handily answered by the person who posed it. You want to know why you got banned? Read your posts. You have every appearance of being a borderline lunatic, and people dont really like to be around you. You contribute little of value, and tax the patience of other members to a point were people simply refuse to read your posts. I would imagine that your days on APS are numbered as well if you continue this behavior.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2005, 08:20:35 PM »
I choose moderators whose judgement I respect. Often, they overrule me because many have more leadership experience and I am willing to take advice. I have, one very rare occasions, reversed my own ban decisions. I have never reversed a moderator's decision. If I ever do, it would likely be coincidental with their resignation. Some moderators have reversed themselves...but most non-binding initial contacts with other forum members are attitude checks. Reasonable responses are respected, rabid jaw-snapping is taken as further evidence of a potential problem.

However much you may question our policies, we question them even more on a regular basis. And we do take constructive criticism.

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2005, 08:37:31 PM »
Edited by me.

No longer pertinent, since it seems the next poster took care of things.

It was a great post, I spelled words correctly, I didn't even use the word "ain't".

*snicker*

Oleg - hush, do not be telling everything you know.

Steve

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »
On second thought, I removed MasterPiece Arms.com's account because APS is a forum for friends. He succeeded in offending me and several of my friends, so I wish him much luck elsewhere.