Author Topic: Obama pledges to quickly sign anti-smoking bill  (Read 2536 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Obama pledges to quickly sign anti-smoking bill
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090613/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_fda_tobacco

Under the legislation:

• Cigarette packages will have warning labels that cover 50 percent of the front and rear. The word "warning" must be included in capital letters.

• Any remaining tobacco-related sponsorships of sports and entertainment events will be banned, as will giveaways of non-tobacco items with the purchase of a tobacco product. A federal ban will be imposed on all outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds.

• Point-of-sale advertising will be limited to adults-only facilities, and remaining vending machines will disappear except in places restricted to adults. Retailers who sell to minors will be subject to federal enforcement and penalties.

• Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.

He said it was not inconceivable that adult smokers, now more than 20 percent of the population, could be reduced to less than 5 percent in 20 years.

Other factors that could cut into tobacco use include the sharp rise in prices — Congress earlier this year approved a 62-cent a pack increase in the federal cigarette tax to pay for a children's health program — and measures by the states to ban smoking in public places.

New FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg said the agency was ready to "roll up our sleeves" to meet the new obligations.

The Senate passed the FDA bill on Thursday by a 79-17 vote and the House followed suit on Friday, with a 307-97 vote.

Marlboro maker Philip Morris USA, the nation's largest tobacco company, came out in support of the bill, saying it was behind tough but fair regulation. Its chief rivals were opposed, saying that FDA restrictions on new products would lock in Philip Morris' share of the market.

Costs of the new program will be paid for by a new user fee imposed on the industry. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that assessments could rise from $235 million in 2010 to $712 million in 2019.

The bill is H.R. 1256.

Now, I'm not a smoker, and I don't really appreciate people smoking around me and I often request folks not to, but come on. I hope they're all practicing their shocked facial expressions so in 20 years when smoking is nearly unchanged they won't cramp up.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Obama pledges to quickly sign anti-smoking bill
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Welcome to the Old World.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
All that's just practice for what's coming to the firearms industry.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
All that's just practice for what's coming to the firearms industry.
No more strawberry-flavored 1911s?  =(

Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.
There's no "particularly the younger crowd" about it.  Those are consumer preferences, regardless of age.  And if they take out all of those, why not menthol too?  :mad:

I swear to God, they'll ban everything they can until the only thing left to ban is government restrictions.  :mad:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
So pot -- something with even more restrictions (i.e., being illegal) -- is smoked by what percentage of the population? I don't know, but I'd guess it's close to 20% just from what I see around me everyday from those people that don't even bother to hide their use of an illegal substance.

I guess his 5% number could be accurate if you only count legal sales and don't count the people who'll be growing or buying tobacco on the black market that will undoubtedly start up when restrictions become a big enough pain in the ass for smokers to say "enough". And in the case of tobacco, it's looking like black market prices might actually end up being cheaper than "govt approved and taxed" prices.

AFAIK, Obama is not keen on the War on Drugs. I wonder how he'll justify his stance on that versus his new War on Tobacco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.

....ohhhh the Indian population will be PISSED. Imagine no kretek for sale in the USA? It would be like banning chilies from being sold for Mexican food.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »
AFAIK, Obama is not keen on the War on Drugs. I wonder how he'll justify his stance on that versus his new War on Tobacco.

IT's very simple. He's very keen on the War on Drugs. Just not the drugs liberals find acceptable (i.e. weed). Liberals (for reasons which evade me) hate tobacco and like weed.

(Although, of course, Obama will never act to actually LEGALIZE marijuana).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »
The anti-smoking crowd is just another interest group that found its home in the Democrat party, so Obama and the other Dems are obligated to do their bidding. If they can stick it to 20% of the population, who cares? Most of those 20% are poor and minorities who aren't going to vote Republican anyway, so why not walk all over them?

If smokers had been organized 30+ years ago, with something resembling the NRA, none of this would be happening. But they're not organized, they've been made to feel ashamed (and thus guilty) for their habit, and there's almost nobody to come to their defense.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 12:12:37 AM »
So pot -- something with even more restrictions (i.e., being illegal) -- is smoked by what percentage of the population? I don't know, but I'd guess it's close to 20% just from what I see around me everyday from those people that don't even bother to hide their use of an illegal substance.

I'd wager your numbers are WAY low.  I'd put the figure at close to 60% - 70% based on what I see with coworkers past and present, and coupled with those who drop key phrases in every day conversation even when not meaning too.

Of course, I *AM* not far from the People's Republic of Boulder.  That may color my persceptions somewhat....

Liberals (for reasons which evade me) hate tobacco and like weed.

Its really quite simple.  Tobacco is a tool of The Man to keep us down, while the Holy Herb will set us free, Man.

Look at the "legitimate" $$$ flowing around.  Tobacco is legal, so its taxed.  Weed is not, so the $$$ is not taxed and hence outside the control of the .gov and illegal.

Hmmm... I wonder, time to reserect an old meme?

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 12:22:12 AM »

Before long they're going to make us ring a bell and announce our coming when we walk around, like they used to do lepers.

*puff* DING! DING! "Unclean!"

*puff* DING!DING! "Unclean!"

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 12:51:05 AM »
Sounds like a political thread to me, one that is in the wrong place.

Closed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.