Author Topic: Utopian  (Read 14044 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Utopian
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
The word liberal is tossed around quite a bit here, in the media, on the street, at water coolers.

It seems to mean different things to many people.

When I think liberal - at least liberal as the media uses it and not the classic definition - I think:

- ideal: belonging to or characteristic of an ideal perfect state or place
- admirable but impracticable: admirable but impracticable in real life
- impractically idealistic: tending to deal in admirable but impracticable ideas

These are the things that modern liberals seem to want. It is what Obama wants. Especially the 1st and 3rd ones.

It seems likely that many would agree.

Except for one thing: Those traits classify one as a Utopian - not a liberal. So why doesn't the media call these people what they are Utopians? Is utopian a dirty word? too hard for Joe SixPack to understand. Is liberal emotionally charged in a way that can grab one's heart strings while utopian is a cold and academic word?

What's the deal? Inquiring minds want to know.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

drewtam

• friend
Re: Utopian
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
It would be too vague. Anarcho-capitalists have Utopian visions as well. Galt's Gulch is also an Utopian vision.

To me "liberal" and "conservative" are two of the most abused words. We don't mean what they are defined as, but they are code words for entire sets of tribal beliefs completely unrelated to liberal or conservative meaning.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:32 PM »
I think that "statist" is a better descriptor than "liberal".

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
I think that "statist" is a better descriptor than "liberal".

It's a far better term.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »
leftist is also more useful than liberal. I think when most people say liberal they mean leftist.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
My gut tells me this is a better fit in politics, so I'm going to move it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
When I think liberal - at least liberal as the media uses it and not the classic definition - I think:

- ideal: belonging to or characteristic of an ideal perfect state or place
- admirable but impracticable: admirable but impracticable in real life
- impractically idealistic: tending to deal in admirable but impracticable ideas

"Overrealized eschatology".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »
When I hear the term "Liberal" today, my first thought is of a person who claims the moral authority to lay claim to the fruits of someone else's labor so he can redistribute the wealth to people he believes are more deserving of it than those who worked for, earned, or created it.  
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BMacklem

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
Thank you HankB, that hit the nail on the proverbial head, now if we can just drive some of those nails into a lot of the mainstream liberals heads.......... starting with Obama.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:25 AM »
They are "utopian" only in the sense that Utopia was NOWHERE, and that is where the beliefs of the Left will lead us.  Nowhere in the sense of unreason, unprosperity, and unhappiness.

I find it hard to take the positions of the modern Left as anything but embarrassing projections of arrested emotional development.  It is less programmatic than an incoherent array of unprocessed emotions that do not belong on a serious political playing field. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
... emotional ...
... emotions ...

This is generally how I detect a liberal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:19:14 AM by FTA84 »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
The word liberal is tossed around quite a bit here, in the media, on the street, at water coolers.

It seems to mean different things to many people.

Generally speaking, being a liberal means holding a particular set of authoritarian and statist principles.  Usually associated the presumption that they know better than I how to spend my money.  With a couple of wedge issues to keep the base happy.

Generally speaking, being a conservative means holding a particular set of authoritarian and statist principles.  Usually associated the presumption that they know better than I how to spend my money.  But with different wedge issues!

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
Generally speaking, being a liberal means holding a particular set of authoritarian and statist principles.  Usually associated the presumption that they know better than I how to spend my money.  With a couple of wedge issues to keep the base happy.

Generally speaking, being a conservative means holding a particular set of authoritarian and statist principles.  Usually associated the presumption that they know better than I how to spend my money.  But with different wedge issues! =D

You might think that's cute, but it is yet more distortion piled on top of distortion that can not be left without comment.

Contemporary liberalism ~ progressivism.  The labeling head feint was accomplished in the 1930s/1940s where the term "liberal," which had up to that point meant those in accord with the virtues we now know as "classical liberalism" was co-opted by the progressives as camouflage.  Statism is part of the very nature of progressivism, as progressivism sees to replace faith in religion with a cult of the state.

Contemporary conservatism* ~ classical liberalism.  The lexicographical transformation also occurred in the 1930s/1940s, when classical liberals were marginalized and progressives captured the term, "liberal."  "Conservative" was a pejorative used by the progs/libs that was eventually claimed by those so excoriated.   The postwar conservative agenda can be seen in WFB's mission statement for National Review (http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NDJhYTJjNWI0MWFiODBhMDc2MzQwY2JlM2RhZjk5ZjM=).  It is about as anti-statist a manifesto as one will find that is still grounded in the founding principles.

Libertarianism is yet another utopian creed, with no roots in the founding of our nation (which it has in common with progressivism).  Happily, some of its principles are compatible with classical liberalism, though they usually have a different provenance or methodology.  The last few years it has been morphing from a philosophy based on negative rights (essentially the right to be left to one's own devices) into a philosophy of positive rights (rights that must be enabled by or provided by the state).

* The other thread trying to define conservatism was such a mess and so ate up I didn't even want to touch it. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
Libertarianism is yet another utopian creed, with no roots in the founding of our nation (which it has in common with progressivism).

This is abjectly incorrect. Libertarianism is not utopian , nor would it be wrong to say it has no root whatever in the work of the Founding Fathers. Obviously the Founding Fathers weren't libertarians, but it's quite arguable that libertarianism draws on their work.

Libertarianism is also not utopian. Utopianism proposes the construction of a perfect society, and requires improvements of human nature (which are usually only improvements in the mind of the utopian. Libertarianism does not propose a perfect society (except possibly in the mind of some exceptional utopians such as Rothbard and Rand), nor does it require superhuman qualities from people for it to work (again, with the exception of objectivism).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
This is abjectly incorrect. Libertarianism is not utopian , nor would it be wrong to say it has no root whatever in the work of the Founding Fathers. Obviously the Founding Fathers weren't libertarians, but it's quite arguable that libertarianism draws on their work.

Libertarianism is also not utopian. Utopianism proposes the construction of a perfect society, and requires improvements of human nature (which are usually only improvements in the mind of the utopian. Libertarianism does not propose a perfect society (except possibly in the mind of some exceptional utopians such as Rothbard and Rand), nor does it require superhuman qualities from people for it to work (again, with the exception of objectivism).

OK, if you excise two of the three* greatest American libertarian philosophers from American libertarianism, I suppose you could avoid the utopian label.  ;/

Thing is, they are inextricably entwined with American libertarianism.  Cut objectivism (AR) and anarcho-capitalism (MR) from libertarianism and you pretty much have some nice free-market economics.

* #3 would be Milton Friedman, whose work was not utopian.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
OK, if you excise two of the three* greatest American libertarian philosophers from American libertarianism, I suppose you could avoid the utopian label. 

Ludwig von Mises and Hayek were part of American libertarianism. Though of course neither were born in America, but then neither was Ayn Rand.

[But then I am not sure how much of a libertarian Friedman was...

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

Ludwig von Mises and Hayek were part of American libertarianism. Though of course neither were born in America, but then neither was Ayn Rand.

[But then I am not sure how much of a libertarian Friedman was...

I would very much argue you would find Hayek more in the camp of conservatives.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
I think the man who wrote "why I am not a Conservative" might disagree.

Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving. It may succeed by its resistance to current tendencies in slowing down undesirable developments, but, since it does not indicate another direction, it cannot prevent their continuance. It has, for this reason, invariably been the fate of conservatism to be dragged along a path not of its own choosing. The tug of war between conservatives and progressives can only affect the speed, not the direction, of contemporary developments

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »

The definition of conservative at the time of his writing is different from the current time. He is using conservative with the correct definiton as one who is trying to preserve the status quo.

He is a classical liberal, as am I. However, classical liberals are now classified as "conservatives". I say he is not a libertarian as they reject many of the notions that Hayek thought important: traditions and mores.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

He is a classical liberal, as am I. However, classical liberals are now classified as "conservatives". I say he is not a libertarian as they reject many of the notions that Hayek thought important: traditions and mores.
You might say that a libertarian is simply a conservative stripped of the belief in cultural or moral traditions.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »
I would argue there are also certain emotional differences. More and more I start thinking you can support almost all the libertarian policies and still be a conservative.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »

Hayek was referencing continental European conservatism, the philosophy classical liberalism was at odds with for several hundred years: hereditary titles, clericalism, class system, monarchy, etc. 

Damn straight Hayek wasn't that sort of conservative, and neither am I.  Monoarchy is fine for the Brits, but I am a dyed in the wool small-r republican.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »
Do not be offended, JF, but I think that while you do not share the platform positions of Eurocnservatives, you share many of their key attitudes.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
Do not be offended, JF, but I think that while you do not share the platform positions of Eurocnservatives, you share many of their key attitudes.

Care to elaborate?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
Monoarchy is fine for the Brits, but I am a dyed in the wool small-r republican.

I think the Brits might look at you kinda funny, and say, "What's a monoarchy?"  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife