Author Topic: A Day That Will Live in Obscurity?  (Read 2138 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
A Day That Will Live in Obscurity?
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
I am of course making a sarcastic reference to the fact that today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I read on the local papers online page about the ceremonies today. Almost no one showed up. They interviewed one guy about it and he said most of the survivors are dying off, and the younger folks just don't come anymore.

Then I'm cruising around all my favorite freedom loving gun boards today and not one mention of it anywhere?! Admittedly, I haven't been to THR yet, but none of the other ones have had a single post about it that I saw.

Well that's my rant for the day.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »
I feel much better now Tongue

I totally missed the one at TFL, and as I said I haven't made it to THR yet. I was getting a little concerned. Too much Kerry and the Democrats on the news today I guess. I should have known better.

Thanks for the links Tarpley.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
Considering a FAM had to shoot someone today, that is hogging the coverage....not much space for Pearl Harbor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 05:32:15 PM »
Considering a FAM had to shoot someone today, that is hogging the coverage....not much space for Pearl Harbor.
Oddly enough, I heard nothing about that until around 6PM. Then it was all over the place.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
In 50 years, 9/11 be an evening news footnote as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 07:24:42 PM »
For many people in the United States it has now passed into the equivilent of ancient history.

For people born AFTER December 7, there is very little of the cultural or psychological impact that those alive at the time experienced.

My Grandparents could tell you exactly where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor. It was something that was burned into their memory.

My parents (who were very young in 1941) can tell you exactly where they were when they heard about John Kennedy.

For both events, it's part of their life experience.

What about me? I wasn't born for either event. I was a history major in college, so I have a somewhat tighter connection with the events than do most people, but it's still not the same. It's something that happened pre-ME.

As those two generations slowly die off, Pearl Harbor and Kennedy's Assassination will take their place in the annals of American history as events for which no living memory exists.

Why don't we celebrate the end of the Civil or Revolutionary Wars as they did 100 and 200 years ago? Because all living links to those events are long dead.

Our generations have a different set of cultural hallmarks...

For me, there's Three Mile Island, the Reagan Presidency, and of course September 11.

But how can I convey to the next generation, those who weren't alive, a truly empathetic vision of how I felt during those times? How can I adequately explain to, say, mtnbkr's daughter, who's now going on 3, just how I felt when I crested the hill near my house and saw the smoke from the burning Pentagon just a few miles away?

The simple answer is... I can't.

No one can invest in someone a cultural or psychological legacy for events that they didn't witness.

That's what history is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 09:09:13 PM »
Yeah, Mike, I know what you mean.  I was 7+ on December 7, 1941.  I was at my grandparents, and I'm fairly sure nobody listened to the radio during the day, what with relatives in from out of town.  Probably wasn't until the next day that we knew about the Japanese attack.  I do recall that there was a clear, cold, moonlit night...

JFK?  I was headed back to work after lunch, and heard of it on the car radio.  Watched the TV coverage over the next day or six.  Probably lots of folks don't understand the joke, "Lyndon missed deer season in 1963.  Mrs. Oswald wouldn't give him back his rifle."

I guess I have lots of little vignettes about historical bits and pieces of the "Hell, I was there!" sort.  Perspective.  I get a bit grumpy at some of the notions of history in some argumentative threads here, there and yonder on the Internet.  "Who am I supposed to believe, you, or my own lying eyes?"

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »
I looked at yesterdays paper and todays paper. Today's paper has about about twice as much space and more color pictures devoted to John Lennon getting shot than yesterday's paper about Pearl Harbor. Yippeee rolleyes
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 02:57:38 AM »
Reagan getting shot, The Challenger explosion, 9/11.  Those are my events.  I appreciate the significance of Pearl Harbor, and the need to honor it, but even my parents were babies at the time.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »
In 50 years, 9/11 be an evening news footnote as well.
It already is.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 06:50:40 AM »
"Today's paper has about about twice as much space and more color pictures devoted to John Lennon getting shot than yesterday's paper about Pearl Harbor."

Yep, because John Lennon's death happened only 25 years ago. The vast majority of Americans alive today actually remember that day. His music had a profound effect on the baby boomer generation, which is by definition the generation AFTER World War II, and the largest one in American history.

The 800th anniversary of the end of the fourth crusade happened last year, but I didn't see a thing about it in the newspaper... Geez...

"In 50 years, 9/11 be an evening news footnote as well."  "It already is."

Of course it is. Do you know how long it took for Pearl Harbor to become an "evening news footnote," also?

Even less time than 9/11 because world events were happening so dramatically, and so rapidly, in 1941.

The news doesn't stand still because events don't stand still.

A cataclysmic event doesn't suddenly freeze time at 9:50 a.m. on September 11, 2001, and that's all we're going to see for the rest of our natural lives is repetitive images of the Towers falling or the Pentagon burning.

Look at all that has happened in the world since 9/11, and then wonder why 9/11 is a news, but NOT a cultural, footnote.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.