Author Topic: RIAA Hates you and wants to bankrupt you.  (Read 107313 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: RIAA Hates you and wants to bankrupt you.
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
What does the fact that the artists contracted with an organization have to do with intellectual property rights?

Either the artists have the rights of property or they don't. If the do, they also have the rights to form contracts around those rights.

Or, is your argument simply that RIAA is a big evil cartel that must be destroyed and so ignoring their rights is ok?

(Incidentally, claiming RIAA is a monopoly or takes monopolistic actions has NOTHING to do with whether they have intellectual property rights. Argue to break up the monopoly, don't argue that it's ok to steal from them).
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
Hmmm... seems y'all are so intent on arguing with each-other, you're missing other posts. Namely, alex_trebek's. Let me quote the important part:

Speaking of which, I thought this was an interesting (and valid) part:

I am assuming that Newsweek, the artist who painted Kraimer (sp?), and the alcohol bottle photographer all copyrighted their works.  If the RIAA claims that playing copyrighted music for the general public is copyright infringement, is displaying copyrighted artwork for the general public also copyright infringement?  What about downloading the images, as individuals had to do in order to upload them as avatars?  Even if you bought the alcohol, Kraimer poster, newsweek magazine, you didn't buy the right to download copyright images, or the copyright on the bottle design.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
Speaking of which, I thought this was an interesting (and valid) part:

I am assuming that Newsweek, the artist who painted Kraimer (sp?), and the alcohol bottle photographer all copyrighted their works.  If the RIAA claims that playing copyrighted music for the general public is copyright infringement, is displaying copyrighted artwork for the general public also copyright infringement?  What about downloading the images, as individuals had to do in order to upload them as avatars?  Even if you bought the alcohol, Kraimer poster, newsweek magazine, you didn't buy the right to download copyright images, or the copyright on the bottle design.

As did I. I honestly had just never thought about my avatar. On thinking, I realized Mr. Trebek is correct and have changed my avatar to something on which I own the copyright.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2009, 04:06:16 PM »
IMO, the same holds true for a merchant selling apples.  If he is the only guy in town who has apples to sell, you don't get to tell him his price is too high.  He sets the price and you only get to decide how bad you want an apple.  If the market forcing him to drop his price, then it does.  You don't get to steal an apple.

Man, I am really glad no one owns all the water or land. We would be screwed.

"Only when the last tree has died. and the last river been poisoned, and the last fish been caught, will we realize we cannot eat money."

So trespassing is only a crime if the property owner can prove you harmed their property in some way?

So is this about trespassing or about seeing a free show? What if your not trespassing into the building? And what sort of trespassing?

DISTRIBUTING flyers with someone else's image on it is not claiming they own it

It creates the assumption that they are either creator or have been given permission to use that image. Although its not like every time someone looks at one they actually put that much thought into the ownership of the picture, but I think you know what I mean.

As did I. I honestly had just never thought about my avatar. On thinking, I realized Mr. Trebek is correct and have changed my avatar to something on which I own the copyright.

Seriously?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »
Seriously?

If I'm to be consistent in my position that it is stealing, and that stealing is wrong, then it of course follows that I should stop using someone else's IP as my avatar without permission.

Or is it more admirable to preach one thing and practice another?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
I only pointed that out to demonstrate that a) you're doing absolutely no harm to the artist by "stealing" their music, and b) you're talking about harming a group that has tried to screw over the originators of the IP every chance they get.

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
Or is it more admirable to preach one thing and practice another?

No actually. I think that that is very admiral. I just find it odd that you would actually go that far.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2009, 04:16:14 PM »

It creates the assumption that they are either creator or have been given permission to use that image. Although its not like every time someone looks at one they actually put that much thought into the ownership of the picture, but I think you know what I mean.

And since you studiously ignored my question, I will ask again:

IF what you say is true about the distributer of a flyer, specifially that they are either the creator or have been given permission to use that image, how is that not also true about someone who is distributing music?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
OK, the apple parallel makes me think of old 19th century Western ranching laws.

A lot of times, if you bought cattle or horses, you didn't get the right to breed your animals to produce more.  That cost extra, for some reason.

That always struck me as terribly unjust.  I don't know the appeal or legislative history of that particular bit of nonsense, but I believe it was a component of a private contract in most livestock sales.  I'm sure it got contested, appealed and some case law affixed to it at some point.

Any lawyers here have any insight into that aspect?

Breeding new livestock has very similar parallels to the IP concerns here:  It impacts future sales for the same goods for the seller, while it restricts freedom of use of purchased property for the buyer.  The actual act of breeding livestock by the buyer causes no harm to the seller other than potential loss of ethereal anticipated revenue.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
OK, the apple parallel makes me think of old 19th century Western ranching laws.

A lot of times, if you bought cattle or horses, you didn't get the right to breed your animals to produce more.  That cost extra, for some reason.

That always struck me as terribly unjust.  I don't know the appeal or legislative history of that particular bit of nonsense, but I believe it was a component of a private contract in most livestock sales.  I'm sure it got contested, appealed and some case law affixed to it at some point.

Any lawyers here have any insight into that aspect?

Breeding new livestock has very similar parallels to the IP concerns here:  It impacts future sales for the same goods for the seller, while it restricts freedom of use of purchased property for the buyer.  The actual act of breeding livestock by the buyer causes no harm to the seller other than potential loss of ethereal anticipated revenue.

Unless of course, these were specifically bred animals. At that point, the work gone into breeding these animals for specific traits are what you are paying for.

I would guess that you get a discount if you have no desire to breed the animals, but if you do wish to breed them, you pay a higher price because you will be getting more benefit from the selective breeding used to create those animals in the first place.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
how is that not also true about someone who is distributing music?

How could that possibly be true? In the flyer example it is true for the reason I already gave, but when people distribute music they aren't doing it for money, nor is there any attempt to make people think that they are the original creator of the song. There is just no reason to believe that they would be. Why is this even being asked?

Unless of course, these were specifically bred animals. At that point, the work gone into breeding these animals for specific traits are what you are paying for.

I would guess that you get a discount if you have no desire to breed the animals, but if you do wish to breed them, you pay a higher price because you will be getting more benefit from the selective breeding used to create those animals in the first place.

So basically there is a higher price because they can, since they hold a monopoly on the product. It is all about greed.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
So basically there is a higher price because they can, since they hold a monopoly on the product. It is all about greed.

'greed' is the only reason we have anything beyond rocks and sticks and grass huts.

IOW, the entire motivation anyone has to create anything beyond basic substance is profit potential.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »
How could that possibly be true? In the flyer example it is true for the reason I already gave, but when people distribute music they aren't doing it for money, nor is there any attempt to make people think that they are the original creator of the song. There is just no reason to believe that they would be. Why is this even being asked?

So, by your example, then, it would be ok for me to steal an image, just so long as I make it clear as I am handing out the flyer that I didn't take the picture and don't own the rights to it?

Because, as long as people know I'm not the author, it's ok for me to use it for my own benefit.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »

No, actually, there's a higher price because you are asking for a different product.

Just like, if I bought a Ford F-150 that was the absolute basic and then started screaming because I had to pay more to get one with a towing package, an extended cab, MP3 player and sunroof.

After all, it's only greed that makes that price higher, right?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
'greed' is the only reason we have anything beyond rocks and sticks and grass huts.

IOW, the entire motivation anyone has to create anything beyond basic substance is profit potential.

No, it's not. I know it's such a hard concept to grasp, but some people actualy do things for the greater good because they wish to help people.

So, by your example, then, it would be ok for me to steal an image, just so long as I make it clear as I am handing out the flyer that I didn't take the picture and don't own the rights to it?

Because, as long as people know I'm not the author, it's ok for me to use it for my own benefit.

Your still making money off of it.

No, actually, there's a higher price because you are asking for a different product.

No, it is the same animal. You are just using it for a different purpose.

Just like, if I bought a Ford F-150 that was the absolute basic and then started screaming because I had to pay more to get one with a towing package, an extended cab, MP3 player and sunroof.

This would make it a different product because it comes with more things, so you pay extra for those.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
No, it's not. I know it's such a hard concept to grasp, but some people actualy do things for the greater good because they wish to help people.

That's true. Your society is going to be stuck at bare subsitence, though.

Your still making money off of it.

Are you purposely obtuse?

If I am deriving benefit from something I didn't pay for why does it matter if it is MONETARY benefit?

No, it is the same animal. You are just using it for a different purpose.

Not if I castrate it, it's not.

This would make it a different product because it comes with more things, so you pay extra for those.

Kind of like an animal that does something more....

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

Sure, there's the open source movement, and people donate time to charities on a regular basis...  But all the major advances of the last 200 years? 

Profit potential.

People are greedy.  Our system is designed to allow them to be greedy and profit off their creations, in exchange for eventually releasing it into the public domain, thus advancing society.  I think it's a good argument, but it really applies to patents more so then copyrights, IMO.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
Guys, might as well give it up. FAZ is going to follow the communist line no matter how much fact and historic precedent you present. The Utopian Dream will be beaten out of him soon enough. Let him live it while he can.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:08:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »
i was like that once then i started working for a living and went from as my brother called it "from fighting the man to being the man"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
Kind of like an animal that does something more....

The animal doesn't do more. It does the exact same thing. You are just using it for different reasons. Unless it is castrated, but then you would treat that the same as any other animal that has been castrated.

Sure, there's the open source movement, and people donate time to charities on a regular basis...  But all the major advances of the last 200 years?

Profit potential.

So do people find cures for diseases for profit or for the greater good of mankind?

People are greedy.

People are greedy because our current society makes them that way.

That's true. Your society is going to be stuck at bare subsitence, though.

Nope.

Are you purposely obtuse?

Nope, just like I know your not. We just come from 2 different beliefs on how things should be.

If I am deriving benefit from something I didn't pay for why does it matter if it is MONETARY benefit?

Because I believe it to be immoral? And yes, I realize that you believe downloading copies of music that you didn't pay for is immoral! But I believe that it is immoral because of the purpose it is being used for. Those are two different benefits.

Guys, might as well give it up. FAZ is going to follow the communist line no matter how much fact and historic precedent you present.

Interesting note, not all communists/socialists/anarchists believe that file sharing is ok. Fact and historic precedent? What?

i was like that once then i started working for a living and went from as my brother called it "from fighting the man to being the man"

Are you seriously suggesting that I don't work for a living!?

Marvin Dao

« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
I am assuming that Newsweek, the artist who painted Kraimer (sp?), and the alcohol bottle photographer all copyrighted their works.  If the RIAA claims that playing copyrighted music for the general public is copyright infringement, is displaying copyrighted artwork for the general public also copyright infringement?  What about downloading the images, as individuals had to do in order to upload them as avatars?  Even if you bought the alcohol, Kraimer poster, newsweek magazine, you didn't buy the right to download copyright images, or the copyright on the bottle design.

To continue further, using RIAA logic, this would place damages at $150,000 per infraction.  See here for explanation, I realize I am being a tad facetious.

It's a bit of a legal gray area. The use of copyrighted works as avatars may fall under the fair use exemption, but since the law is vague and there hasn't been a court ruling on the issue, you can't really say either way. There's a decent case to be made for fair use as avatars are personal use, likely transformative (see: Kelly v. Arriba Soft Corporation on how thumbnails of an image are transformative), most often make up a small percentage of the copyrighted work, and have little to no effect on the market for the copyrighted work.

It's an issue that will likely never be settled since the odds of a copyrighted avatar case making it to court is rather low.

While these actions may be legal, it does not make them moral.  The original artists generally do not see much, if any, revenue from album sales.  Merchandise and concerts are their main source of income.  Furthermore, as far as I can tell, no artist has received any of the damages the RIAA has recovered from these private suits. The RIAA has attempted to prevent independent bands from emerging, by suing equipment manufacturers.  They even attempted to block the first portable MP3 players. Basically we are applying free market principles, when no free market exists.

Whether or not artists make any money off of music sales is immaterial. They still sign up with RIAA affiliates in spite of that since the RIAA's marketing machine represents their best shot for moving out of obscurity and into a comfortable lifestyle. Without the RIAA's marketing machine, they wouldn't be making nearly as much money at their concerts or through merchandise sales either.

It's one of the unfortunate facts of the music industry. The intrinsic commercial value of good music pales in comparison to the commercial value added by the RIAA's promotional skills.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
Strings, I don't see how that changes things at all. The company bought the rights to the music from the musicians, just as Michael Jackson had, at least at one time, owned the right to all or nearly all of the Beatles' music.

The company is still the owner of the music, and the company dictates their terms for use of their property. You play by their rules or you find other music to enjoy.

How is this different than hacking into pay-per-view movies on cable? Is that okay?

Brad Johnson, I don't know that I'd call the view "communist." There are thieves in capitalist societies, too, as is being amply demonstrated.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
Fact and historic precedent? What?

The miserable failure of all communist regimes. But wait, I forgot; those weren't real communists! Just ask the guys at RevLeft....  :rolleyes:

Strings, I don't see how that changes things at all. The company bought the rights to the music from the musicians, just as Michael Jackson had, at least at one time, owned the right to all or nearly all of the Beatles' music.

The company is still the owner of the music, and the company dictates their terms for use of their property. You play by their rules or you find other music to enjoy.

How is this different than hacking into pay-per-view movies on cable? Is that okay?

Brad Johnson, I don't know that I'd call the view "communist." There are thieves in capitalist societies, too, as is being amply demonstrated.

Freak is an avowed anarchist/communist.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
It's a bit of a legal gray area. The use of copyrighted works as avatars may fall under the fair use exemption, but since the law is vague and there hasn't been a court ruling on the issue, you can't really say either way.

If it was ruled to fall under fair use, would it be moral to use it as your avatar? Why or why not.

The miserable failure of all communist regimes. But wait, I forgot; those weren't real communists! Just ask the guys at RevLeft....   ;/

Umm... They weren't, but don't let things like facts get in the way of demonizing communists. But this line of conversation doesn't really have anything to do with the point of this thread.

Freak is an avowed anarchist/communist.   ;/

Yes, yes I am.  ;/  ;/  ;/  ;/

You play by their rules or you find other music to enjoy.

Yes, follow the rules like good robots.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »
Umm... They weren't, but don't let things like facts get in the way of demonizing communists. But this line of conversation doesn't really have anything to do with the point of this thread.

Every time a communist .gov has been established it's been a bloody oppressive tyranny. You'd think eventually you'd get the idea that maybe communism ain't such a great idea, instead of trying to justify it and explain it away.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.