Author Topic: Boots as Business casual?  (Read 4032 times)

bratch

• friend
Boots as Business casual?
« on: December 07, 2005, 10:07:26 PM »
This probably varies from office to office but I thought I'd get everyones opinion.

First off I will be working as a Petroleum Engineer for an E&P company in OKC.

My current "work" shoes are leather Sketchers things but they've seen better days so I'm thinking about getting a pair of boots to wear to work and in general. I will be in khakis and polos almost every day at work.

Do you think a pair of Red Wings would be acceptable? Some fancy Ostrich?

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 02:16:09 AM »
I'm from Texas and you are in OK.  It is almost expected for folks to wear boots, especially for business casual.  I have seens guys in suits wearing boots.  To me, they are just too uncomfortable.  I have huge calves :-)

Greg

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:19:31 AM »
we have waifs in flip flops as business casual
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:34:22 AM »
Like Harold,  I see people in flip-flops in my .gov office as business casual. I'm thumbs up with the boots though. I did khakis, polo or dress shirt, and boots at a previous job where the dress code was a bit more formal, and no problemo there. In fact because I had to go out to field sites a lot where steel toes were required, I often wore the Red Wing "semi-dressy" cowboy boots with the steel toes. Sounds like you may have the same potential issue given your job.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »
Red Wings are good-to-go in business casual.

And comfy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:14:16 AM »
We are business casual at our office (software co). Most people come in their khakis, a sweater, and Doc Martens or Teva sandals. You should be just fine in boots.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:24:09 AM »
i've been wearing (polished) work boots as business casual for years. wasn't even an issue at exxonmobil headquarters, which is my personal gold standard for acceptable business attire.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »
In proper polite society terms, you should not wear boots with a suit unless you are a cattle rancher or a Texas Ranger.  For business casual, it should be just fine.

As for me, I have a pair of nice leather combat boots that don't see real outdoor duty and stay spiffy for business casual.  As a rule, I reserve cowboy boots for riding and general ranch work that does not require lots of walking on concrete.  Too uncomfortable for that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »
I wear tennis shoes as business causal dress, no one has every said a word. Tie goes on and nice polished shoes go on.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:03 AM »

In the Greater Ark-La-Tex Sphere of Influence, including Oklahoma, cowboy boots are perfectly acceptable as business attire with a suit, unless some New Yorker with a GQ in his hip pocket came down and changed the rules.

I've been wearing Ariat boots as business casual for the last four some-odd years without a raised eyebrow.  I also own several pairs of M.L. Leddys that were made for me.  I think the main things  to consider are 1). are they appropriate to the rest of your apparel and 2). are they polished?

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 10:40:21 AM »
I wear black leather work boots with business casual. I should probably hit them with a little shoe polish as after a year they're starting to look a little ratty.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 11:11:13 AM »
My father wears elf boots.  He digs elk skin cockroach crunchers.  

I've wore them and have to admit they are comfy.  I just won't be caught in public in them!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 11:44:08 AM »
*shrug* I'm not terribly sure I even remember the dress code here anymore, I stopped caring a while back. But, I'm sure boots would be fine, since I wear jeans all the time anyways.

In the summer, it's khakis... the jeans are warmer for the weather now.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 01:17:07 PM »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like I'll be going boot shopping once my scholarships come in in Jan.  

I have seen more than 1 person in boots and a suit but I have a pair of square toed shoes for my suits.

Pauli,

If you don't mind what were you doing at EM HQs?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 04:16:12 PM »
n the Greater Ark-La-Tex Sphere of Influence, including Oklahoma, cowboy boots are perfectly acceptable as business attire with a suit, unless some New Yorker with a GQ in his hip pocket came down and changed the rules.
Aren't boots mandatory in Texas?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 05:02:26 PM »
bratch, i was variously collecting phones, moving pcs, or performing an inventory for emre. they like contractors who already know the building, so i've done a lot of contracts out there.