Author Topic: Field/Hunting boots?  (Read 2214 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« on: December 08, 2005, 05:40:27 AM »
On the footwear bandwagon...

I'm planning to buy a pair of hunting and general field boots. My basic requirements:

-Repairable/resolable, will last for years with proper care
-leather. Puncture and abrasion resistance are important
-waterproof
-light insulation
-$2-300 budget

Usage conditions are Texas Hill Country, scrub, rocky terrain and frequent mud. I won't necessarily be doing all-day treks, but I'd prefer a boot capable of same. Temperatures are rarely really cold, but I want enough warmth (with good socks) to handle winter stand hunting. General use is important if I'm going to spend 2 or 3 bills. I'd like to save weight, but I've had Cordura uppers punctured.

My feet: I'm currently wearing 11EE. I have virtually no arch, no instep, and I'm hovering at 300lbs. (Good boots may help me adjust this). I'm thinking about a 6" to 8' height, because I have chunky calves. I've killed two pair of Dunham oxfords and one of New Balance walkers in 18 months. My left leg is a skosh shorter, and I blow out the right heel quickly, hence need to resole.

I'm looking primarily at Danner (Hawk, Santiam, Raptor, Hood Winter Light) and having a hard time differentiating between styles. I'll also consider Red Wing or another quality brand. USA manufacture is a plus, but not a requirement. Suggestions for places to handle/fit in DFW also appreciated. I'd rather pay retail and get knowledgeable advice.

Thanks!

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 05:57:22 AM »
I do not know the current price or time frame...

If you ever get a pair of Russel Bird Boots  - Custom fitted to your feet - you will wonder why you never did so before.
For what you shared for - these would be great.

Off the rack / Mail order-

Danners have served me well , mine I guess are 20 - 25 yrs old. Only dislike I have - mine have lug soles, back then this was the only offering. Mud gets heavy, so a bobbed sole would have been better for my needs.

Everyone should have at least one pair of rubber soled / leather upper, LLBean boots.  
They work, can be re-soled. I bought some insoles with arch support.
Not to mention - just the history and being a classic boot.

mtnbkr

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 06:01:39 AM »
Everyone should have at least one pair of rubber soled / leather upper, LLBean boots.  
They work, can be re-soled. I bought some insoles with arch support.
Not to mention - just the history and being a classic boot.
A friend of mine had a pair for many years.  When they started to come apart at the sole, he sent them in to be repaired, fully expecting to pay for that repair.  LLBean sent him a new pair for free.  Can't beat that service.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:33:05 AM »
Roger the Mainiacs. I've got a pair, along with a lot of other LL Bean products, including the 15 year old Warm Up jacket that still looks new and I'm darn glad I have with me right now in Dallas, as all my other cold weater gear is packed up and temps are in the teens/twenties. (Wishing my wife hadn't packed up the ragg wool touring cap that would've kept my ears warm last night walking the dog.)

Bean boots are great for wet/mucky conditions, but the soles don't give me the support for much of the terrain requiring heftier boots. Where could I potentially find Russells?

The Danner sole comment is exactly what I'm looking for, that helps me narrow my choices.

Thanks, guys!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 07:39:03 AM »
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots.html

Mine were the Premium Bird Shooters.  This was many years ago and since then they have more offerings.  Just share with them the climate and enviroment in which these will see the most use. They will listen, and ask questions about your particular feet, any foot problems, circulation, family history, and make recommendation for arch support, ankle support and similar.  Yes they will answer questions in regard to maintaining, use and care.

-

LLBeans for me work quite well in my use and climate.  In fact I have just the shoes as well. Nice to get out of boots and wear around camp or during wet weather around town even...across campus, etc.

-

IMO / IME some things one does NOT skimp on, cut corners on, select on peer pressure , or NOT be honest with themselves about.  Feet/Footwear, Eyes/Eyewear, Ears/ Earwear.

-

Everyone is different - Brands names vary on how cut and fit.  Be it jeans, footwear, or how a vehicle sits.  Kind of like that 'gun fit to shooter' , one has to get what fits them - not what is in style sometimes.

I went with Danners so many years ago simply because they were available locally. I tried on a variety of boots available at that time here...Danners won out.   From day one I knew I was not going to like the lug soles, I knew from experience with 'Nam Jungle Boots , how mud gets real heavy. I used the 'Nam Jungle boots in Canada as I was in and out of water , canoeing and portaging.

Fact is / was lug soles was it.   Later I was up north and tried on a pair of Red Wings, different offering from down here, had a "light lug sole", mentioned this to some folks and they went with Red Wings.

For most folks - the 'bobbed sole' offers enough traction, does not pick up extra mud and easy to clean soles.

The "chain lug" as on LLBean boots - are great too.

An often forgotten  easy on the feet , not expensive ankle boot , for dry dusty roads, flatlands, and not needing to worry about steel toes - the 70's era "desert boot". Think Hushpuppy rubber sole , brushed leather coming up  about ankle high or so.

Still with an aftermarket insole for arch support the LLBean are better boots and better value.

Carry extra laces, buy a pair of silk socks and put on before whatever else sock you are going to wear.  Wicks the sweat from foot into the outer sock, prevents blisters.

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:13:35 AM »
sm:

Thanks for the, as always, excellent insight. I know you don't think much of your writing skills, but you "communicate" more and better, with fewer words, than many folks, myself included, who think they're competent writers.

I'm 34, and I've been around a bit and taken some knocks, but one of the reasons I connect passionately to this forum and THR is the opportunity to pick up BTDT lessons from people like yourself, Art, Preacherman, et al. I'm old enough now to appreciate second-hand wisdom without the "I know better than the older folks" filter kicking in. Anyway, I have learned that 4 pounds of boot plus 4 pounds of mud is a no-fun combination.

I'm excited now. I've got to convince the better half to let me go to the Dallas Safari Club convention in January and get fitted properly. The prospect of hand-made, custom-fitted footwear has my dawgs tingling in anticipation. Meantime, I'm going to look into insoles for my Bean boots. The weather being what it is, they'll be handy.

Thanks again,

SADShooter

Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:34:16 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.
I have a feeling next time I am in Dallas - Dallas is going to note the presence of Firearm Folks. *grin*

Dear Mrs. SADShooter,

SADShooter, needs a new pair of boots.
 I am the resident scapegoat - so blame me for his purchase, not him.
Everybody else does.

Regards,

Steve

Advice:
Do NOT let the Wifey get a fitting for a pair of these Russels. This is the same as NOT letting the wifey shoot a 28 ga.  Trust me on this. You screw up - your fault. Can't blame  me for these moments of forgetfulness. Cheesy

Steve

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:53:27 AM »
Hey, she wants 'em, she can have 'em. In fact, my lady just visited a podiatrist and was diagnosed with heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. So, comfortable, quality footwear is the order of the day. I think I just converted another devotee to the Cult of Smartwool...

Thanks for offering thyself as scapegoatee. (Wait, that didn't sound right, did I just create a new beard fashion?)

You find yourself in DFW, sir, and I suspect you'll find a crew of people waiting with a warm welcome. You no longer imbibe, as I recall, but I'll gladly stand you to a sarsparilla, steak, bowl of homemade chicken soup, or whatever the occasion calls for. Got a family recipe for a pecan pie that doesn't usually get stale, for that matter.

Scott

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:40:38 AM »
I'm not sure how they'll fit your particular needs but I'm a big fan of Eastern Mountain Sports "Mountain hikers" The ones made in Italy though. That'll be the most expensive ones on the wall ~ $200 last I knew. Super light and durable. I wear mine year round.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:58:18 AM »
RE: Podiatrist-

Yes sir, I have been doing research and dealing with Neuropathy in the lower extremites with Mom. She has other foot related problems as  well. Amazing what all occurs when the eldest son raises hell and makes it very clear Diabetes is NOT the end-all , do-all Dx.    She does NOT have diabetes.  

Shoes. Oh yeah, I have experiences with this  area as well.  Seems "feet folks" have preferred folks to do business with. Nothing wrong with referrals, it does pay to have 2nd or 3rd opinions.   With Diabetes one falls under various catagories in which insurance coverage assists.   Seems it is  just  easier ( profitable) to let the patient screw up, get Diabetes then folks more receptive to assist because the Insurance money kicks in.  I mentioned I raised hell - didn't I?
I insisted on a Marconi Xray as well...more detailed.  

There is a HUGE difference in "Shoes Fitted to" and "Custom made shoes".  Like most tools, services and similar - these things are only as good as the operator of tool or service provider.

Mom can do 'fitted' to her.  The custom does allow that shoe to be altered moreso in the future.  One company In NJ is supposed to be the best, always back logged.  IIRC there is suposed to be one in the South - I forget.

Many of the brand names are similar, actually I feel some are the same shoe under different names.  I would strongly advise taking the extra time and money (even out of pocket) to actually "see" various shoes.  I would even  go so far as to call a local hosptial that does prosthetics - and get some input.  Sounds gross, still actually seeing how the shoes are made, and adaptions to patients with more serious afflictions ( loss of toes, partial foot, etc) is educational these folks have some great personal insights and advice.  Call a Children's Hosptial, they have some really really sharp folks.

Mom paid $160 for her shoes. We got a second pair exactly as these in another color.  No insurance remember?

She is changing - as happens with age and other problems. Seems I get to researching and she in fact gets off two meds. This affects the whole system of course, in a good way...but the feet / neuropathy changes as well. For the better. Money saved on 'scripts - buys shoes.

New shoe time...

She tries a new brand name and it so obvious as to why she could not walk in them. The heel was too high - more forward tilt if you will.

I learned about some of this when I had double knee surgery. How flat shoes ( say boat shoes) hurt my knees and how with a little forward tilt , my knees were better in line with skeletal system. Then I took A&P and other classes later and all this made a lot more sense.

The feet have so many bones and the way the nerves and blood vessels are made up - this feet/ shoe relationship is quite serious. It also plays a part in knees, and hips.  

The new shoes went back mom bought - full refund. She was over-compensating and causing damage to her knees and especially her hips. Waddling if you will.

I had a LOT of information about this.  I finally get me a PNY USB Storage in 1 GB.  I have all this information and a LOT of school stuff on it. Transferred to it in the first week I had it.   I drop this PNY by accident getting into my truck. I run over it with rear tire...
sigh...

If I can assist - holler.

By all means do take the reponsiblity yourselves to check all this out about the wife's shoes and fit.

There is more to responsible firearm ownership than firearms

HTH , Best of Luck.

Yes - Russel does have various styles and yes I have referred folks to Russel with spl needs and the Russels worked out really really great for them.  One was a person with back problems...no kidding...the skelatal system remember?

Steve

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 12:39:19 PM »
Yah. Back trouble is what got me paying more attention to my feet. The pedorthist who sold me the "better" shoes I've now worn out was a big help, along with chiropractic treatment. The rest is up to me, exercise and better routine maintenance--and I've been slacking.

Neither of us is diabetic (yet) but it does run in my family. I know a little about what we call DFI "diagnosis for insurance". Saw it with both my maternal grandparents.

Again, thanks for the pointer on the boots, Steve. I think this is the solution I've been looking for.

Scott

Art Eatman

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 07:49:57 PM »
I hunted around Austin, and in the cobbestone/cactus/mesquite country north of Uvalde for a good number of years, as well as this (bleep) country out here at Terlingua.  I still have the Russell BirdHunters and the RedWing "20-mile" boots I bought in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  Lord only knows how many times they've been resoled with a soft, treadless crepe-type material.  10" tops, but I never laced them much above the ankle.

They're not waterproof, but a little dubbin takes care of that if need be.

And they are indeed 20-mile boots. Smiley

Edit-add:  I had a saddle shop add a piece of leather to the instep area to protect against rocks.  On the inside-side of the boot; about 1-1/4" by 4" or some such dimension.  Really helped.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

SADShooter

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 05:28:04 AM »
Does Red Wing still make the 20-Mile boot, or equivalent? The way their web site search tools are configured, and styles numbered rather than named, I'm having trouble differentiating what's supposed to be a work boot from a hiking/hunting boot.

Art Eatman

• friend
Field/Hunting boots?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 05:03:08 PM »
SADShooter, I haven't kept track.  In recent years I haven't done as much cross-country stuff, and my similarly-soled Wellington-type boots have been okay for messing around the mountain.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.