Author Topic: Sandford Is Done  (Read 26780 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Sandford Is Done
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »
>Probably, as it is his constituents' business, especially considering:
1. He used taxpayer dollars on one of his trysts.
2. He has been incommunicado at least once for a 5 day stretch without handing power over to the (apparently knuckleheaded) Lt Gov.
3. He left himself open to blackmail and put the state gov't and taxpayers at risk.<

I'll give you 1. 2 I'm not so sure about. 3 you'll have to explain how you blackmail someone about something that is out in the open, and what risks the state taxpayers assume because of said hypothetical situation...

>If this was something that occurred before he was elected governor and he & his wife had patched it up, than you might have a point.  An elected official owes it to his constituents not to make them a laughingstock.<

I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for a politician who told the press "My personal life is private: stay out!" than I do for any of the weasley types we've got now...

>Also, the "open marriage" or "swingers" hypothetical is a whole 'nuther reason not to vote for the man and place him in authority.<

Ok... you'll have to explain that one. Unless they're hosting orgies in the gov's mansion, what difference does it make?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
Quote from: jfruser
3. He left himself open to blackmail and put the state gov't and taxpayers at risk.<
I'll give you 1. 2 I'm not so sure about. 3 you'll have to explain how you blackmail someone about something that is out in the open, and what risks the state taxpayers assume because of said hypothetical situation...
Every hour it wasn't out in the open Sanford was at risk of blackmail.  That is an unacceptable risk and indicates very poor judgment on Sanford's part.

Quote from: jfruser
>Also, the "open marriage" or "swingers" hypothetical is a whole 'nuther reason not to vote for the man and place him in authority.<

Ok... you'll have to explain that one. Unless they're hosting orgies in the gov's mansion, what difference does it make?

Indicates a cultural perspective too far deviant from mine to have my electoral support.  Also, such an arrangement has a high correlation with views on other issues I find unacceptable.  If their swinging habit is all I know about them, I am playing the odds and opposing them.

If you want another example that doesn't involve intercourse, I also wouldn't support a politician who insisted his wife wear a burka or a politician who thought a dashiki appropriate formal attire.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »
Indicates a cultural perspective too far deviant from mine to have my electoral support.  Also, such an arrangement has a high correlation with views on other issues I find unacceptable.  If their swinging habit is all I know about them, I am playing the odds and opposing them.

Well. You'd be fine with Loretta Nall, then?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2009, 07:49:12 PM »
Okay this one's wandered too far off the original topic. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”