Author Topic: Sandford Is Done  (Read 26782 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Sandford Is Done
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »
Sad state of affairs when we consider not lying about the horrible betrayal of his family to be a super positive virtue.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
This is too funny. I must admit that I don't know much about him, but I'm guessing he's a "Family Values" type of politician.  ;/

Has anyone else noticed a problem with lots of governors in the last few years? New York, New Jersey, Illnois, and now South Carolina makes the list.

Anybody want to wager on which state will have the next embarassing governor?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
Sad state of affairs when we consider not lying about the horrible betrayal of his family to be a super positive virtue.
It's not so much that as it is admitting you screwed up and accepting the consequences rather then trying to deny it until you can't anymore.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
He had to be destroyed; he defied the Shogun.  And he was a potential political theat for 2012.  There's more to this than just a compulsion to confess.

I doubt any of us here think his wandering is exactly unusual at that level, do we?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »
This is too funny. I must admit that I don't know much about him, but I'm guessing he's a "Family Values" type of politician.

It's not a bit funny. Not at all.

I fail to see why this should matter.

Then you don't understand that the more conservative voters do not like infidelity and such, and you don't understand how the South is. Sanford's goose is cooked for sure now, if it wasn't before (he's been under the gun from both parties for a while)

Damn...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »
Then you don't understand that the more conservative voters do not like infidelity
This is very true.  However, I also think they understand a certain measure of forgiveness and someone who admits his screw ups for the sake of admitting them because it's the right thing to do.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
It's not so much that as it is admitting you screwed up and accepting the consequences rather then trying to deny it until you can't anymore.
That.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »
Then you don't understand that the more conservative voters do not like infidelity and such, and you don't understand how the South is. Sanford's goose is cooked for sure now, if it wasn't before (he's been under the gun from both parties for a while)

Are you one of those voters?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »

No, but I actually do live in South Carolina, was born here, and very much understand the culture of Southerners and how conservatives view issues.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »
how did his emails end up public?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
No, but I actually do live in South Carolina, was born here, and very much understand the culture of Southerners and how conservatives view issues.

That's not my question. My question is, would you personally refuse to vote for a person over this?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »
Why must they all ask for forgiveness?

Just one more form of profligacy without consequences as far as I'm concerned.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
That's not my question. My question is, would you personally refuse to vote for a person over this?

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Over here voting is usually a secret and personal issue.

It looks an awful lot like you're trying to attack the person instead of the argument. Weak, very weak.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »
How is it an attack?

My question was aimed to demonstrate the following principle:

If you personally would not refuse to vote for a person over the contents of his family life, then it would be wrong to withdraw support from him because you think other people would do so.

If you personally would make your decision based on a politician's family life, then you should say that, rather than say that some nebulous and undefined "other people" would so so, and that you're merely withdrawing your support based on him becoming "unelectable".

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
If you personally would not refuse to vote for a person over the contents of his family life, then it would be wrong to withdraw support from him because you think other people would do so.
Hogwash.  How successful a politician might be is definitely worth considering when deciding who to support.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:03:15 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »
How is it an attack?

Because you asked him a question:

And he answered it:

Yet you're getting weird about it:
See above...you asked him a question, he answered it, now you're trying to say that wasn't the question you asked?
What the heck? ???

People can and do vote over here for whatever reasons they choose. Your nit-picking a person concerning their personal [secret ballot] choices over your own concepts of right and wrong does appear to be an attack upon that person.

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
In my view, voting against a candidate, not because you personally oppose him, but because you fear that other people will oppose hi, and thus attempt to make some form of 'tactical voting' decision, is a wrong decision to make, especially in a primary.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
In my view, voting against a candidate, not because you personally oppose him, but because you fear that other people will oppose hi, and thus attempt to make some form of 'tactical voting' decision, is a wrong decision to make, especially in a primary.

Allow me to reiterate...

No

So what was your point again?  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »
how did his emails end up public?

If they were job-related, or on .gov accounts, they MUST be public and stay public (ie, can't be deleted).  Our governor was fixin' to get in some trouble on that issue, but he didn't run for re-election, so...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:06:20 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
The average voter pays precious little attention to the candidates, their positions, and their votes. Some positions they don't care about. Moral issues are what they deal with all the time - stealing from the job, sleeping with the secretary (or boss), cheating on your taxes, etc. Thus, people tend to have cemented their moral values (to some extent). They have enough moral fiber to avoid doing these things (for the most part), and they expect their leaders to be at least as good as they are. 'Best and brightest' and all that.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
Oh well. Maybe I am wrong. After all, I live in a country where it's harder for me to name a major politician who is NOT corrupt than vice versa.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 12:54:33 AM »
Oh well. Maybe I am wrong. After all, I live in a country where it's harder for me to name a major politician who is NOT corrupt than vice versa.

How is that any different than here? =D =D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 08:22:29 AM »
Evidently The State paper filed an FOIA request and was in possession of the emails while Sanford was out and about.  Which brings up a point.  Most of the dust kicked up locally was thrashing about by Sen. Jake Knox (prominent second amendment supporter) who has tangled with Sanford for ever.  Kinda makes me want to know why the State went with Knox's angle and not with the real story.  Was the State prevailed upon by backroom parties to hold off knowing Sanford was in the process of either blowing up his marriage or trying to make a clean start.

Lots of noise locally out of republican poobah's about impeachment; not because he played around but because he may have used state money for the games.  No doubt SLED is working the case.  Anyhow, impeachment is a no go in a number of minds simply because the hot spare governor is a lightweight with lots and lots of warts, the least of which is he is highly unstable.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
Today's Something Positive sums it up nicely:

Edit: Potentially NSFW...

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp06242009.gif
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:14:38 AM by mtnbkr »
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
We need some stern Romans.  Where are they?
Romans would not have considered having a mistress to be an issue at all.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.