Author Topic: Vehicle shopping  (Read 930 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Vehicle shopping
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2024, 09:45:36 AM »
Ben, they announce a shutoff date when they stop taking orders. Yes, some options and pricing can change. For awhile they were dropping the heated windshields because they couldn’t get them but then I hear they are available again in some markets. They added a couple minor new options.
I was hoping they would get the auto fold side mirrors like the telluride but I’m told not.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 09:59:21 AM »
I’m having second thoughts about getting the heated windshield. I hope it doesn’t push insurance rates a lot higher. It’s $3k to replace it if a rock hits it.

My 4Runner's heated windshield got cracked during covid, and I was lucky to find even a non-heated windshield, but that one is still on the vehicle today. Even in Idaho, I haven't seen any big difference between the old heated one and this one (admittedly, the 4Runner is garaged). I would have to flip a coin if I needed a new one today, on if I went for heated or standard.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 10:12:20 AM »
I bought my first new vehicle in 1975. I was a junior in high school and I paid it off 2 weeks after graduation. This will be my 8th new vehicle and 4th one built to order.
My ‘75 Camaro LT was $5105 out the door
This new vehicle is 8x that amount.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2024, 10:17:32 AM »
I realize this is a little late, but in case you didn't know, Kia has been having timing belt issues with the current generation Sportage. In some cases there is a waiting list for replacement engines, and they are also apparently easily stolen.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 10:18:43 AM »
I realize this is a little late, but in case you didn't know, Kia has been having timing belt issues with the current generation Sportage. In some cases there is a waiting list for replacement engines, and they are also apparently easily stolen.

We need to change your username to Buzzkill.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2024, 11:03:08 AM »
My 4Runner's heated windshield got cracked during covid, and I was lucky to find even a non-heated windshield, but that one is still on the vehicle today. Even in Idaho, I haven't seen any big difference between the old heated one and this one (admittedly, the 4Runner is garaged). I would have to flip a coin if I needed a new one today, on if I went for heated or standard.
My Tacoma is 6 years old now.  I need to replace my windshield due to too many cracks.  Lots of big trucks in the area throwing rocks.  That and the cloth seats are trying to get a hole on the driver's side.  It is about time I got the leather seat covers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 11:12:10 AM »
I think the theft issues have been solved in the newer ones. I’m not aware of engine issues in the 1.6L hybrid. There have been some problems with the 2.0L gas only but I don’t know if they have resolved those. With a 10y/200k warranty I’m not too worried.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2024, 12:02:40 PM »
My wife just went thru the shopping fiasco after her 2016 Ford Explorer electronic steering started to fail. Dealer quoted $2900 and 3 weeks to fix since the Explorer (and other Fords using electronic steering) are having supply issues.  So we sold the car to CarMax and went shopping.

She initially thought of a sedan for a daily commuter and to get better gas mileage.  Drove plenty of sedans, trucks and SUV’s after she decided a sedan wasn’t what she wanted.  After several test drives she liked the Chevy Colorado, but ended up with a Toyota Highlander in the end.  Came out to a little more than she wanted to spend ($40K limit ended up financing $47K) but she definitely likes her decision. 

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 03:42:16 PM »
Well I have the ford fusion sold as soon as the new vehicle arrives (this week?).
The lifeguard where I swim laps is graduating from high school and going to college. He has been desperately trying to find something he could afford (6 siblings with only one parent earning income). I offered it to him at a price that is fair both ways and said I would have it serviced and inspected tomorrow.
He and his parents looked at it and drove it today and they are thrilled. Didn’t hurt that I washed it and detailed it yesterday- waxed it a couple weeks ago and it looks like new for being 10 years old with 128k miles on it.
I could have easily made another $500 on it but I wanted to help this kid out.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 09:59:03 PM »
Well finally.
355 days of waiting. The new vehicle is in the garage. My wife drove it and I followed her home with hail and tornado warnings and lightning strikes on both sides of the road.
I drove it out of the garage (after the storm passed) while programming the homelink garage door openers and the seat memory positions and the phone pairing.
Freaking amazing tech. I can check the app and get battery life of the hybrid system or even the key fob batteries, a 360 degree view on demand around where it is currently parked, door lock and window status, interior camera views, everything.
I have 2:18 hours of instructional videos to watch just to learn the vehicle controls and features.
I did pay a little extra ($2k over 3 years) for some warranty extensions on electronics when I found out the “infotainment” head can run close to $15k but I now have have 6 years/100k bumper to bumper everything warranty and 10 year/200k power train.
I won’t be driving it for a few days but it seems pretty nice. If the wife like it (so far 🤞) we’ll be good for 100,000 miles no worries.
My wife is almost 70 and I’m 66. She kind of withdrew and wasn’t part of the decision stuff. We have been married 33 years. I didn’t realize she had never bought a car, never.
KIA is not a luxury brand but this top trim level has a ton of luxury features, warranty is to the horizon, tech is incredible. She loves the size, ride, and handling.
I backed it out of the garage and pulled it back in.
One thing I noticed is the Harmon Kardon sound system sounds really, really good, transition from gas to electric is seamless and nearly silent.
Can’t wait to drive it more than 12 feet.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 10:31:47 PM »
Can’t wait to drive it more than 12 feet.

At least then, you'll be "going places".  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2024, 06:22:34 PM »

KIA is not a luxury brand but this top trim level has a ton of luxury features, warranty is to the horizon, tech is incredible.

Luxury features have trickled down to mass market brands such that the only reason to buy most luxury marques is to say / show that you have one. At least when I was a kid, when features considered luxurious at the time made their way into Chevys and Fords, the likes of Mercedes and BMW could still claim with authority that their cars were more solidly-built. That doesn't seem to be true any more.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2024, 09:21:57 PM »
Luxury features have trickled down to mass market brands such that the only reason to buy most luxury marques is to say / show that you have one. At least when I was a kid, when features considered luxurious at the time made their way into Chevys and Fords, the likes of Mercedes and BMW could still claim with authority that their cars were more solidly-built. That doesn't seem to be true any more.

The luxury brands are by and large junk

The everyday brands are usually much more reliable

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!