Author Topic: Anyone Know Tamil (language)?  (Read 574 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Anyone Know Tamil (language)?
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:46:57 AM »

The above photo was posted without explanation in another forum I frequent, and a few of us began trying to figure out what/ where it is.  The writing on the gate and wall are both in Tamil, used in southern India.

Anyone have any input?

(FWIW, the... seemingly ironic symbols are from the Bardo Thodol, the "Tibetan Book of the Dead.")
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Anyone Know Tamil (language)?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
     No. I do know that the swastika is a common Hindu symbol (in current use) that substantially predates it's anti-semitic imagery.

http://www.jewishtribune.ca/TribuneV2/index.php/200906241773/Hindu-homeowner-shocked-swastika-would-be-offensive.html
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Anyone Know Tamil (language)?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
Ananda Marga uses the swastika inside a 6 point star as a symbol
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"