Author Topic: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over  (Read 16404 times)

DJJ

• friend
Re: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »
280plus, you owe French G. a box of ammo of his choice at least, for setting that up on a silver platter for you.  :lol:

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
How about some pork fried rice instead? You know, to fit the occasion.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
Sawy, no pork flied lice for you, building faw on pig.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »

280plus, you owe French G. a box of ammo of his choice at least, for setting that up on a silver platter for you.  :lol:

If I ever start up a comedy team, I want French G. for my straight man.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:16 AM »
Sawy, no pork flied lice for you, building faw on pig.
Aw crap, I suppose it's gotta be the SA .308 I just got, doesn't it...  =|

How about a few boxes of .22 shorts I inherited?  =D

I explained the fable of the SA .308 to the Mrs. She gives me the old funny look and says, "So what's that mean to me?" I said. "This ammo is going up in value." She said, "Oooohhhhhhh!"

So you CAN explain this stuff to them AND make them remember, you just have to use their language. 

So now I randomly say to her, "What kind of ammo is it?" And she says, "SA .308!" :laugh:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
Very odd picture - the glass in windows seems unbroken.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »
I think everyone involved in the project, other than the engineer who signed off on the foundation, could use that building as a marketing item.

"Can your glazier (framer/bricklayer/concrete layer) do THIS?!"  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »
maybe they are designed to be re-rightable in case of attack
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
"It's not my job to blow the horn nor even ring the bell, but let the thing topple over and watch who catches ..." 

:laugh:

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 08:14:31 AM »
Harold Tuttle do you expect John Cleese to come running out of the building?  It is rather fitting of the Builders episode.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
You know, a few hundred Chinese men could probably pick that right up.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »
Ever see the bamboo scaffolding those crazy people use for building hi rises? Think 20-30 stories of bamboo lashed together with a couple hundred Chinese chaps climbing all over it.  :O

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 08:35:15 PM »
Hmm, half of the apartments have sky lights.... 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
Hmm, half of the apartments have sky lights.... 

The other half have indoor gardens.
For entertainment purposes only.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Follow up article.
http://dcnonl.com/article/id34398

July 7, 2009

Soil conditions investigated as cause of Shanghai apartment building collapse

SHANGHAI

A nearly finished 13-story apartment building in Shanghai toppled over because of piles of dirt that were excavated to build an underground parking garage, according to initial investigation results, experts say.

City officials vowed to pursue responsibility for the June 27 disaster, which killed one person and cast doubt on the safety of the scores of other projects under way in this city of 20 million. But they admit they were perplexed over how the building could have toppled over almost intact.

“When we arrived on the scene, we were very shook up. In my 46 years of work, I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing,” said Jiang Huancheng, a prominent local engineer and professor at Shanghai’s Tongji University.

The accident was an embarrassment for Shanghai, a showcase city of 20 million in the midst of a construction boom as it prepares to host the 2010 World Expo.

Jiang and other officials told reporters their study showed the suburban building’s design and construction conformed with safety regulations and that more analysis is needed to pinpoint the reason why it fell over almost intact.

There are differing opinions among the experts, but the main conclusion is that the cause is a tall pile of dirt next to the building, they said.

“It’s clear that if there had been no pile of dirt, there would have been no problem,” said Fan Qingguo, an engineer with state-run Shanghai Construction Group.

Other experts explained that dirt excavated for the garage may have compacted the soil, causing it to shift and damage the building’s foundations so that it fell over. Heavy rains and cracks in a flood wall for a nearby river also suggest problems with the soil on the site, they said.

Unusually aggressive reports by the state-controlled media have centred on possible collusion between the property developer, the contractor and others supervising the work. Earlier this week, the government said nine people were “under supervision” in connection with the investigation.

Officials in Shanghai’s Minhang district, the location of the “Lotus Riverside” apartment compound where the building fell, will release results of their investigation into responsibility for the disaster later, said city government spokesman Chen Qiwei.

“We absolutely must give society and the people a clear answer,” said Xie Liming, head of Shanghai’s Work Safety Administration.

DCN News Services

I wonder what "under supervision" means.  :|
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
The whole purpose to building "up" rather than "out" is because there isn't enough room to go out anymore.  I would have expected a domino-style collapse of the entire row, actually.  

I'd consider building up like that while leaving space for another reason - leaves room for additional parking, markets, grass areas, etc...

I might consider living 5 stories up better if I also have convienent access to a park area.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »

Forget the guy holding the target - he's safer than anyone who lives/works in the one of those buildings visible in the background!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
Is it standard construction policy to BUILD A FREAKING TOWER and then DIG OUT A GARAGE UNDER IT?

I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of skyscrapers under construction, but I've seen a couple.  They build the parking garage under it as part of the foundation before building the rest of the structure.

Or am I mis-reading the story, and the garage has nothing to do with the high rise... and it was fill dirt on the surface near the building that caused a soil shift?

Looking at the most recent picture, there are tire tracks from heavy construction equipment that indicate they were digging out under this building.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
As a courtesy to tenants of the adjacent, similar buildings, they should at least offer to pad the interior walls and install seatbelts on the crappers.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »
Follow up article.
http://dcnonl.com/article/id34398

July 7, 2009

Soil conditions investigated as cause of Shanghai apartment building collapse

Step One: Construct large building

Step Two: Watch building topple

Step Three: Check soil for conditions that can cause large buildings to topple

Looks like a sound engineering strategy to me.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:37:16 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
Forget the guy holding the target - he's safer than anyone who lives/works in the one of those buildings visible in the background!

That's where they keep the guys "under supervision"....  :police:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »
Is it standard construction policy to BUILD A FREAKING TOWER and then DIG OUT A GARAGE UNDER IT?

AZ,
The National Geographic Channel had a series titled LA Hard Hats in which a 20+ story condo building was being built.  IIRC They started building the above ground stories and then started building the garage after that.
-Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »
As a courtesy to tenants of the adjacent, similar buildings, they should at least offer to pad the interior walls and install seatbelts on the crappers.

Oooh, no thanks.  It's bad enough if a building is falling over on me.  I don't want to also be strapped to a sideways toilet.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife