Author Topic: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over  (Read 16386 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
Is it standard construction policy to BUILD A FREAKING TOWER and then DIG OUT A GARAGE UNDER IT?

You would be correct ... for the U.S. Apparently they operate a bit, ah, "differently" in China. I've read stories and articles by architects who have gone to China seeking projects. They pretty much all agree that an American contractor, architect, or construction manager would just shoot himself after a week. EVERYTHING is done by manual labor. There is no critical path ... everything is important, therefore nothing is important. One architect commented that he visited a luxury high-rise office building under construction. They were still pouring concrete on the upper stories, but they had already finished out the ground floor lobby ... complete with tile and marble floors, over which they were rolling wheelbarrows full of concrete to get to the elevators to haul said concrete up to the area where it was needed.

You know all those jokes about "Chinese fire drills"?

Not jokes. That's how they build over there. Looks shiny and modern on the surface but, underneath, it's very low-tech. Manpower is far cheaper than machine power over there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
Oooh, no thanks.  It's bad enough if a building is falling over on me.  I don't want to also be strapped to a sideways toilet.   :O
No sense of adventure I see.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
Manpower is far cheaper than machine power over there.
Again I stress. If you've never seen 30 stories of bamboo scaffolding lashed together around a hi rise you just can't appreciate it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
"I wonder what "under supervision" means."

Muzzle of executioner's gun planted firmly  on the back of the head.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
Again I stress. If you've never seen 30 stories of bamboo scaffolding lashed together around a hi rise you just can't appreciate it.

I believe you. Do you have any pictures to share?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »
Unfortunately no. I was there (Hong Kong) in the 70's and wasn't smart enough back then to take pics.  =|

I used my google -fu (appropriate given we're talking China) here's one of the better links I found but google bamboo scaffolding and lots more comes up.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~struct/courseware/hk1/hk1_bamboo/bamboo.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:49:23 AM by 280plus »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »
Unfortunately no. I was there (Hong Kong) in the 70's and wasn't smart enough back then to take pics.  =|

I'm actually not that worried about the bamboo scaffolding.  It's tough stuff.  Their concrete, on the other hand...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:37 PM »
I read an article in one of my Father's engineering magazines years ago about bamboo scaffolding.

The author did a study/comparison and his findings were that, if it was properly erected, it compared VERY favorably with the best metal scaffolding, and was in many cases more resistant to impacts and high winds because of the entire system's greater flexibility.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
"I wonder what "under supervision" means."

Muzzle of executioner's gun planted firmly  on the back of the head.
Given today's ammo prices and the average income in China, the bill for the bullet (traditionally presented to the executed's nearest relative) could bankrupt the family . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

I used my google -fu (appropriate given we're talking China) here's one of the better links I found but google bamboo scaffolding and lots more comes up.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~struct/courseware/hk1/hk1_bamboo/bamboo.html

Thank you.   That is nuts.  I do like the bamboo scaffolding with the tower cranes.
-A
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
Yup, I've heard it's pretty tough stuff but it suuure looks flimsy. The guys that erect it got brass ones that's for sure.  :O

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
I want that toppled building to appear in the next Fallout game.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
EVERYTHING is done by manual labor. There is no critical path ... everything is important, therefore nothing is important. One architect commented that he visited a luxury high-rise office building under construction. They were still pouring concrete on the upper stories, but they had already finished out the ground floor lobby ... complete with tile and marble floors, over which they were rolling wheelbarrows full of concrete to get to the elevators to haul said concrete up to the area where it was needed.

My inlaws must be Chinese. The above describes exactly how they/we are building a vacation home in Michigan. :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama