Author Topic: Many Afghans say life is better  (Read 828 times)

grampster

• friend
Many Afghans say life is better
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:47:18 PM »
That's the headline leading an article in our local paper the Grand Rapids Press.  Buried on page A8.

The gist of the article is that almost 9 in 10 (87%) of interviewed Afghans say that living conditions, security from crime and freedomof expression have improved from the days of Taliban rule (ABC News Poll)  They say the US overthrow of the Taliban was a good thing.  Three fourths say that their country is headed in the right direction.

This optimism comes from people who say by a 2-1 margin that their OWN personal economic condition is bad, medical care is limited and basic services like electricity is limited.  6 in 10 say attacks on U.S. troops are not justified.

On the other hand, only 3 out of 10 Americans say that about their own homeland.

I wonder why this isn't on the front page?  Could it be?....naw.  The media wouldn't be biased against American successes abroad?....naw, that couldn't be.  Could it?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »
I know two men who took a work contract in Bagdad.  They tell me most Iraqis feel good about the living conditions in their country.  They appreciate what the American soldiers are doing for them, and they think their future looks good.

I'm not at all surprised the media tried to burry it in the back section of the paper.  In fact, I'm kinda surprised they reported it at all.

We ARE winning in Iraq and Afghanistan.  But some people back home don't want the public to know it.  Sad

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 05:16:12 PM »
A buddy of mine has friends and relatives in the military in Iraq.  I remember one rather poignant line in an email from one of the guys in southern Iraq:  "It's hard to stay alert on patrol, when everybody is smiling at you."

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.