Author Topic: Copper tubing!  (Read 21709 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Copper tubing!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
A coils can be tricky. You may have to cut metal. yea, show me pics!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
Another twist!

Arrow doesn't carry TXV's. I found it hard to believe, but I called both stores and they were quite sure they knew what I was talking about and that they didn't carry it.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Try Dey Distributing for that part.
913-541-1406

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
Try Dey Distributing for that part.
913-541-1406

Thanks Jim, I'll check into!

Pictures!

Items to note:

1. The smashed in door off in the corner.
2. The panel patched in in photo 2... there use to be a humidifier there.

Any idea how one would get to the A-Coil in this setup?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
Explosive, maybe?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 07:26:17 PM »
Pull that Fedders furnace out from under it. =D

I let some of the sheet metal guys look at that one for you.

jim

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
smart as nick is he could draw up a plan for a new box and have a shop fabricate it.  my sheet metal skills are such thats what i do. i'm cheap enough that i have everything inplace and mounted only pay the smart guy to do the smart work. i do the grunt work myself
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »
Pull that Fedders furnace out from under it. =D

:O

That furnace weighs about as much as my F250, and is about as rusty!

If I unhook and move that thing, the only place I'm moving it is to the dump!

I made an access panel with some hand nibblers, a Dremel, and lots of time.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
You're on the right track but unfortunately you want to get to the other side of the coil, like rotated 90* from where you are now. First remove the sheetmetal on the left side in the pic so you can get at the coil where it looks like an "A". Once in there you will find the inner space of the "A" is covered by a triangular piece of sheetmetal. Probably held in place by screws. You need to get that off to gain access to the upstream side of the coil where the crap collects. Generally I remove as many screws as I can and deform the metal, "bend" to you laymen, lol,,, and wrassle it out of there. I then reverse the process to get it back in. It can be a real pita. Once in there you may find a blanket of fuzz and hair type stuff covering the coil. Brush that out of there with a stiff nylon brush, then soak the whole thing down from every angle you can with something like 409 or other such cleaner, let it soak for a while and then rinse it with fresh water. Use the paper backed aluminum tape to seal the outside back up and squeegee that tape out good so it stays put. Cloth duct tape is useless for duct. ;)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:12:49 PM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »
That's a wierd setup too. Usually where the pipes go in is the "A" looking end of the coil. I would have opened up the very same side you did and then discovered I was on the wrong end of the coil. I might have stopped a little sooner than you did though.  =D

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
Yep 280, Nick is going to learn what aluminum tape is for on that one.

I still keep plenty of 2" and 4" on hand. You never know when you'll need it.

jim

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »
typically pipe is ridged (sold in straight 10 or 20 ft sections), and tubing is flexible (sold as a roll, usually 50 ft lengths).

Yes. Terminology, in order of increasing flexibility:

pipe
tubing
hose

It really annoys me when people refer to the clear vinyl hose as "tubing". Do you use a garden tube?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »
That's a wierd setup too. Usually where the pipes go in is the "A" looking end of the coil. I would have opened up the very same side you did and then discovered I was on the wrong end of the coil. I might have stopped a little sooner than you did though.  =D

=D

I figure I'll use a few sheetmetal braces to mechanically hold the "cover" in place, and use aluminized tape to hold an air seal.

One thought - since the system will be depressurized anyway, maybe I should just unbolt the lines (Flare fittings?) and pull the A-Coil out.  I'm going to have one line off to get to the metering piston/orifice tube anyway.

It appears to be just sitting there.  Are A-coils typically screwed to the rest of the air handler?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
Surgical tubing sounds much better than surgical hose.
And when you bring up hose someone has to bring up panty hose and the whole thread runs amuck. :lol:

jim

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 10:55:53 PM »
Getting away from amuck.

If your going that far, measure that sheet metal and check with Arrow for a cased coil to match you condensing unit. By the time you fix sheet metal buy your valve and install it you may not come out to bad.

jim

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »
Getting away from amuck.

If your going that far, measure that sheet metal and check with Arrow for a cased coil to match you condensing unit. By the time you fix sheet metal buy your valve and install it you may not come out to bad.

jim

That's actually a really good point, though I thought A coils cost 400-500 in this size. I'll check into it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »
and the pros demonstrate yet again why they are called pros. thanks  i've been listening
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
That's actually a really good point, though I thought A coils cost 400-500 in this size. I'll check into it.
I don't know what size you have but if they tell you much more than half that let me know. I'll call for you.

jim

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »
I don't know what size you have but if they tell you much more than half that let me know. I'll call for you.

jim

Awesome... I'll run down there tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.  It's a 3.5 ton system, by the way.

I've got the A-coil out.

It's a Fedders CFA048C1C.  It's fairly gunky on the underside.  There wasn't any kind of orifice installed in the liquid line coupling!  Perhaps the orifice is closer to the distribution manifold?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »
I have an idea! Why don't you just cut the tubes and pull the coil out! Smart huh?  =D

take a close up pic face on of the coupling on the coil side for me. If there is no orifice in there my guess is the thin tubes you see coming out of the little manifold are the metering device(s). Not sure though. It could also mean there is an orifice missing. Wouldn't be the first time I saw that either. The whole thing makes it tough because IF those tubes are the metering device then there is no way to change over to txv. Other problem is I don't think there's any fedders rep to call and ask.

Also. The model # you give indicates 048 or 48,000 btu, that is a 4 ton. What is the M/N on the old and new(er) condensing units?

yea Jim, I love aluminum tape.  =D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2009, 07:32:46 AM »
Something just crossed my mind. You have a vacuum pump to evacuate the systm?

and

All your open tubing should be taped off to prevent dirt and moisture from entering the system. Cleanliness is your friend in this biz.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
If there is no orifice in there my guess is the thin tubes you see coming out of the little manifold are the metering device(s). Not sure though. It could also mean there is an orifice missing. Wouldn't be the first time I saw that either. The whole thing makes it tough because IF those tubes are the metering device then there is no way to change over to txv. Other problem is I don't think there's any fedders rep to call and ask.

I'm guessing the small tubes that feed the coil are capillary tubes as well.  The L/L fitting doesn't appear to be designed to have anything in it.

Also. The model # you give indicates 048 or 48,000 btu, that is a 4 ton. What is the M/N on the old and new(er) condensing units?

Old Unit:     Fedders CKC042B7A
Newer Unit: Coleman BRC00421BD

Something just crossed my mind. You have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system?

I do.

All your open tubing should be taped off to prevent dirt and moisture from entering the system. Cleanliness is your friend in this biz.

Noted!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Yup, 042 is 3.5 tons. Hmph, I'd say hook it up without txv and see how it goes?. You can always add one if you have to.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Jim, am I to understand that your an HVAC guy in the KC area?
If so that's good to know since I would prefer to give any future business to a fellow APSer
assuming Raymore isn't too far in the boonies for you.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
Jim, am I to understand that your an HVAC guy in the KC area?

Not anymore. I took a very early retirement in Nov of 07.
When I decide to go back to work, may be soon as last summer was a little tight money wise, I'll let you know.

assuming Raymore isn't too far in the boonies for you.

Hit 71 south to Butler then go about 23 miles SE. I'm a ways past the sticks.
I used to make the drive up to Overland Park everyday.

jim