Author Topic: Looks like Gov. Palin is resigning... speculate below  (Read 56525 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Looks like Gov. Palin is resigning... speculate below
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
Per the Anchorage Daily News, Channel 2 (NBC affiliate in Anchorage) and CNN, Gov. Palin is scheduled to hold a press conference at her home at 3 pm.

She will not be seeking a second term and is expected to resign more than a year early.

No sign that the Alaska State Defense Force has removed her from the Governor's residence, so it isn't a coup.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Iain

• friend
Re: Looks like Gov. Palin is resigning... speculate below
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9975VE04&show_article=1

One line, but they may update it as things come out.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »
Sarah Palin To Resign As Alaska Governor
At Hastily Convened Press Conference Says She Will Not Run for 2nd Term, Mum On Future Plans

(CBS)  Last Updated 3:44 p.m. ET.

Sarah Palin has announced that she will resign as governor of Alaska and will not seek a second term.

CBS Affiliate KTVA reports that at a press conference this morning Palin said she will resign the governorship within a few weeks.

CBSNews.com producer Scott Conroy, who covered Palin's vice presidential campaign last year, confirmed through a source close to the governor said she is leaving office.

Earlier today, a holiday, Palin sent out an early morning press release indicating that she would be making an announcement from her home in Wasilla.

Joining Palin were her parents, family and state commissioners.

Palin said that power will be transferred to Lt. Governor Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in during the upcoming governor's picnic in Fairbanks.

She did not field questions, and would not give any indications about her future plans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/03/politics/main5131961.shtml

It sure makes one wonder what's up ??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
Unfortunately, I doubt she's in a torrid affair with an Argentine hottie.

Maybe she's taking Jonah Goldberg's latest column to heart.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
Don't think so.  It's Alaska; it's a scandal.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »
Here come the red and blue lights behind her:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/07/03/alaska-governor-palin-to-resign-in-weeks.aspx

Maybe the USA will get yet another swing at an Alaskan politician? :police:

Run, Sarah, run!  Take your state-issued check and get your passport! =D

************************************************************************************

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has announced that she is stepping down as that state's governor in a matter of weeks.

From Alaska CBC Affiliate KTVA:

At an 11:00 a.m. press conference today, Governor Sarah Palin announced that she would not seek a second term as governor. The governor continued, saying that by the end of the month she would resign from the governorship.

“I’m not seeking re-election,” Palin told a news conference at which she said she would transfer authority to Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell.

Palin ran as John McCain's vice-presidential running mate and is seen by many Republicans as a potential Presidential candidate in 2012. Palin's term as governor, her first, does not end for another year.

“We know we can effect positive change outside government at this moment in time,” she said.

Palin said her decision came after much “prayer and consideration.” She did not want to waste time on “political blood sport” and cited public criticism of her actions and her family since the 2008 campaign.

In recent months Palin has faced numerous scandal allegations and high-profile media scuffles, most notably with talk  show host David Letterman over a joke about Palin's daughter.

Vanity Fair's Todd S. Purdum also wrote this massive feature on Palin. Which has this amazing line, among others:

Palin is unlike any other national figure in modern American life—neither Anna Nicole Smith nor Margaret Chase Smith but a phenomenon all her own. The clouds of tabloid conflict and controversy that swirl around her and her extended clan—the surprise pregnancies, the two-bit blood feuds, the tawdry in-laws and common-law kin caught selling drugs or poaching game—give her family a singular status in the rogues’ gallery of political relatives. By comparison, Billy Carter, Donald Nixon, and Roger Clinton seem like avatars of circumspection. Palin’s life has sometimes played out like an unholy amalgam of Desperate Housewives and Northern Exposure.

Talking Points Memo adds their two-cents and highlights this amazing basketball reference from Palin:

And she wholly blamed the national press, saying they were creating national distractions that cost the state money. Palin said: "You are naive if you don't see a full-court press on the national level, picking apart a good point guard."

Politico's Mike Allen is tweeting quotes from Palin's emotional press conference

Pundits have also begun to speculate on Palin's future:

Politico's GOP watcher Ben Smith says that leaving the Alaska Governor's mansion allows Palin to bang the drum more effectively for the Republicans, something that the floundering GOP needs from one of their remaining stars.

Leaving office at the end of next year, the former vice presidential hopeful will be able to travel the country more freely without facing the sort of repeated ethics inquiries she’s been fending off since returning to Alaska earlier this year.

CNN adds a bit more to the speculation:

"She thinks she has accomplished goals she has set forward," one of the sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said. "She sees what a positive influence she has had on people's lives from traveling the country in the last year."

The Post's David Frum argues that getting Palin to help the Republicans would actually be a bad thing for the party:

Palin evokes a devoted response from a large following. In the mysterious soup of motives that sustains her supporters, enthusiasm for effective governance does not seem a very major ingredient. But you'd think they would at least care whether she could campaign competently. Purdum argues intensely that she cannot - that a Palin candidacy would be the greatest self-inflicted disaster since George McGovern or Barry Goldwater
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
There are some bloggers up here who hate her, visibly hate her with every fiber of their being.

They've been levying corruption allegations and FOIA requests every time she clears her throat.  It is costing the state money and can no longer be said to reflect honest concerns as her rational opponents have even begun to object.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
Perhaps she's just tired of the media sideshow over stepping into every aspect of her life?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
Perhaps she's just tired of the media sideshow over stepping into every aspect of her life?

No, this would be the worst thing she could do to escape scrutiny.  The press will dig even harder, convinced that she was dealing cocaine and child sex slaves from the Governor's mansion, under the control of Zionist alien overlords. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »
Despite the fact that I like Sarah Palin for a number of reasons, her departure from the Alaska governor's mansion really doesn't matter anywhere except Alaska.  She has been so thoroughly destroyed and/or marginalized by the MSM and the beltway GOP that she will have little further influence on the political scene.
Sure, she has an active group of supporters in the conservative wing of the GOP, but that very same wing is discounted, looked down upon, and mostly ignored by those running the party.
This event is the beginning of her slow fade from the political arena.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
Despite the fact that I like Sarah Palin for a number of reasons, her departure from the Alaska governor's mansion really doesn't matter anywhere except Alaska.  She has been so thoroughly destroyed and/or marginalized by the MSM and the beltway GOP that she will have little further influence on the political scene.
Sure, she has an active group of supporters in the conservative wing of the GOP, but that very same wing is discounted, looked down upon, and mostly ignored by those running the party.

I sincerely hope, and don't think she will fade.

I think she scares the crap out of people on the left, as well as on the right. She challenges the "Good ole boy network" of the GOP, who have been complicit with the left in the attempt to destroy her chances at a run at POTUS in 2012. If they weren't scared of her, they wouldn't be spending so much time trying to trash her.

I think a lot of people are Sick of (as am I) all the trash on both sides.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »
Sergeant Bob, I believe you are correct in your analysis, but that is precisely why she will fade.  Those that fear her in the GOP (and there are many) have the ability to marginalize her.  They will.
Those that fear her on the Left will continue to demonize her until the job is done, in their eyes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
I think this is a strategic move that has more to do with in-state politics and party manuevering than it does with any presidential ambitions.

I'm not concerned by her leaving as I believe Sean Parnell is more than capable of doing the job.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
I think this is a strategic move that has more to do with in-state politics and party manuevering than it does with any presidential ambitions.

Interesting take, stevelyn.  Elaboration, please.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »
Despite the fact that I like Sarah Palin for a number of reasons, her departure from the Alaska governor's mansion really doesn't matter anywhere except Alaska.  She has been so thoroughly destroyed and/or marginalized by the MSM and the beltway GOP...

I agree with all of that, so I'm not really looking to her as a pres. candidate.  My hope is that she will use her popularity with a certain segment of the populace to get out the vote for a conservative Republican majority in 2010, and a conservative presidential candidate in 2012.  'Course, that's if we even have those options.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 06:37:41 PM »
Agreed, fistful.  She would be good at that, IMO.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
If she were to seriously study the issues for the next couple of years, she'd be a formidable candidate in 2012. What other candidate can you think of in recent years has drawn crowds as large as Obama's? She has an enormous appeal.

Even if she doesn't run, she'll be very useful to the party. The people in the party who don't like her are the very people who are running the party into the ground: the moderates and the country club Republicans who believe that, if candidates don't talk about abortion or guns or religion, Republicans can win. They never learn.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
The people in the party who don't like her are the very people who are running the party into the ground...

QFT

I doubt that will ever change, though, as they are too entrenched.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »
"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" - and she's done just that. I don't see her coming back to run for anything.
Might be an incoming scandal of major proportions. "Gov. Palin's husband was photographed today clubbing baby seals."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »
Maybe she realizes that just as "history" died in 1989, politics died in 2009.

She is just as likely to return as a third-party candidate as a Republican.

Or maybe Rahm Emanuel made her an offer she can't refuse.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »
Despite the fact that I like Sarah Palin for a number of reasons, her departure from the Alaska governor's mansion really doesn't matter anywhere except Alaska.  She has been so thoroughly destroyed and/or marginalized by the MSM and the beltway GOP that she will have little further influence on the political scene.

I think it's more likely that the political arena, as we have known it, is fading.  It existed so long as good faith existed, so long as representative government existed, so long as citizenship mattered.

What's coming next in America is what's already come to so many other nations.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »
What's coming next in America is what's already come to so many other nations.

I'm afraid you're right again, longeyes.

I have a hunch she's been bushwhacked by the leftist extremists.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Perhaps her next stop will be verbal thrashing of the left as the newest panelist on "The View".  :O

Money, it is always about the money.   =|

bob

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
Sometimes I think American politicians should learn from the ones in Israel. Here they don't resign until the police come to lead them away from the office in handcuffs, and sometimes not even then.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:57 PM »
Sometimes I think American politicians should learn from the ones in Israel. Here they don't resign until the police come to lead them away from the office in handcuffs, and sometimes not even then.
Sort of like the mayor of the town I used to live in back in Minnesota . . . the guy never actually did resign; on the night he was convicted of felony child molestation, a member of the city council told the media that the moment he was found guilty, he stopped being mayor, as the city charter prohibited convicted felons from holding office.

As for Sarah Palin . . .
. . . she was dealing cocaine and child sex slaves from the Governor's mansion, under the control of Zionist alien overlords.
That's all? They're going to keep a lid on the anthropophagy and her doubts about global warming?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:24:47 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain