Author Topic: Any suggestions for a free registry cleaner?  (Read 1502 times)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Any suggestions for a free registry cleaner?
« on: December 09, 2005, 02:53:34 AM »
My computer has been running slow lately.  I'm trying to find a free registry cleaner that will actually clean up my registry.  All the ones I've found so far will find errors, but you have to register to actually fix them.

Any input would be appreciated.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 03:28:44 AM »
PC Tools Registry Mechanic does  commendable job on meatball stuff for Windows.  Gotta pay up for anything to be done with other software.  It made a major difference in my machine the first time I used it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
RegSeeker  by Hoverdesk....http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

its a great little program.. finds obsolete ones and is easy to use

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »
+1 To RegSeeker. I've tried a few others, but then I run RegSeeker right after and it finds a bunch of stuff the others left behind. It's a lot like those vacuum cleaner commercials... Tongue

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »
My computer has been running slow lately

Why is this a registry problem?  It's far more likely to be a running-too-much=malware problem.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 05:16:48 AM »
Quote from: lee n. field
Why is this a registry problem?  It's far more likely to be a running-too-much=malware problem.
Because that is what I'm currently focusing on.  I wouldn't be surprised to find I've got malware too, and I need a program for that, but the focus of this thread was registry issues.  If you have suggestions for malware, those would be useful as well.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 08:39:40 AM »
I guess the question should be "why are you focusing on the registry as the possible source of your percieved lack of speed problem?".    When your PC is running more slowly than it was, first look at what you programs you have running.  Look at the process list in the task manager.   Look at msconfig (or directly at the places in the registry that msconfig is making it easy for you to manipulate).  

Adaware, spybot, Micro$oft antispyware.  Install them all, update them all, run them over and over until they run clean.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 12:19:59 PM »
By freakish co-incidence, I installed and ran one today. I'm not very "computer-minded" (and if you'd asked me what a register cleaner was yesterday, I couldn't have told you), but I used Reg Cleaner 4.3

I got it from the Xmas issue "PC Gamer" magazine, on the free DVD, but I'm pretty sure that you could download it from a website. Seemed to get rid of a lot of useless crud anyway.

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »
I just used regcleaner; it found 901 invalid registry entries.  I deleted them all, and upon re-boot, the computer kept trying to install 'Pano stand alone', which I have no idea what it is.  So I restored the backup registry entries, but the computer still tried to install pano.  I did a restore system in WinXP.

Huh??