Author Topic: Music :D (what might I enjoy?)  (Read 3084 times)

Music :D (what might I enjoy?)
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:29:07 AM »
Not really talking about one or two songs, more like artists who I'll get hooked on and greedily hunt down for more musical pleasure.

I'm a Rammstein fan. Lately I've discovered Nightwish. I also like Dimmu Borgir, Manson, Prodigy, Celldweller, Cowboy Mouth, Apocalyptica, Gravity Kills, Nickelback, Moby, Rob Zombie, Everlast, and a little Green Day. (the american idiot album)

Some tracks from Disturbed and Godsmack were catching, but an entire album of the same stuff just gets old and irritating.

Used to like more: Limp Bizkit (I was fifteen), Lords of Acid (still somewhat), POD (bleh), System of a Down (see first comment), Linkin Park (decent for a few songs), Three Doors Down, Creed, Kittie,   And by "used to like", I mean a few songs on p2p, not albums, although sometimes it took an album to make me realize that I don't really want it. I liked 'technologic' and 'one more time', downloaded ''discovery' and realized that Daft Punkd isn't fun in large concentrations. Sort of like an unpleasant caffeine trip.

I'd like to explore NiN, Santana, Laibach, Metallica, Beborn Beton, Portishead, Elefant, Sneaker Pimps, Lacuna Coil, Hans Zimmer, E.S. Posthumus, Dope, Benny Benassi, Juno Reactor and the Dandy Warhols.

Am I contradictory or what?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:57:13 AM »
Ministry (DO NOT MISS THIS BAND!), Skinny Puppy, Pig, Revolting Cocks.   PM me tonight and I'll go through my very small collection of CDs and see if I missed anything notable.

BTW, lots of these folks did temp work with other bands.  Al Jourgenson of Ministry is involved with Revolting Cocks.  One of the guys from Skinny Puppy has a band called Oghre (not very good IMO), etc.  Do some research.  If you have a Tower Record nearby, they have a pretty good Industrial section that not only has these bands but little placards that tell you about the related bands.  

Metallica before the "black" album of 1991ish is great.  Ignore the newer stuff.  Sneaker Pimps is ok in smaller doses.  I like Lacuna Coil.  

Am I contradictory or what?
No.  My MP3 player has Ministry and various bluegrass bands on it right now (music I paid for and currently hold the CD source material).

Chris

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:20:54 AM »
Yeah, I've got a 'variety' myself.

'Nara' from ES Posthumas is good stuff, one of my favorites. If you like some electronic stuff, I really like Thievery Corporation, Future Sounds of London and LOVE John Stanford for good chill-out music. The Sushi Club is also an amazing chillout group, particularly 'Nigu-Jaka' (download this one before all others).

Other good bands are Pinback, Massive Attack, Groove Armada and Air. Massive Attack is a personal favorite, though.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:59:20 AM »
Blackburn go to this link:

http://www.liveplasma.com

I input Rammstein into the search box and clicked the artist button and got the following:
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil
Type O Negative
and a bunch of others.

Once you have the band names then you can go to a site like CDNow.com (Amazon.com) and play some samples.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 07:02:18 AM »
The following reflect my tastes only.

Radiohead-mind blowingly good. The only phases in my life when I didn't like Radiohead, it was because they are too awesome, and everyone knows it. All albums especially OK computer.

Hot Water Music-I swear they plug those guitars into by soul every time I listen to them. I suppose you'd call it raw sounding, twangy, emo-core. Maybe fugazi-ish. I don't know, but it freaking drives my brain insane. If you want to hear some guys repetitively breakdown and expand every cheap rock and roll trick in the book, over top of bellowing, rough, usually unintelligible vocals, but most of all, play their music with a rare energy and sincerity, buy any of their CDs between-but-not-including their first Finding the Rhythms and latest The New What Next. And listen hard.
There have been times, as my horizens have expanded, that I felt like I should have outgrown HWM. That I felt far too old to be listening to that old stuff anymore.
Listening to Fuel for the Hate Game snaps be back to the reality that I will never be too old for a little Hot Water Music.
The sound is admittedly very love/hate sound though. Most people can't stand them.

Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I have this cd in a candle-encircled shrine. Not really, but it is such a very fantastic CD. I'm still listening to the whole thing at least weekly.

Massive Attack-Mezzanine-great CD.

The Mars Volta-De-loused in the Comatorium. I'm still working on Francis the Mute.

Interpol-all (both) albums.

The Flaming Lip-Yoshimi battles the pink robots. Superb.

The Postal Service-Give up. Boringly flawless.

The Arcade Fire-Funeral-touching.

You should seriously check out Porcupine tree, who sit somewhere between radiohead, Floyd and The Mars Volta.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 07:22:54 AM »
Garrettwc, that is sooooo cool!!!

Thanks!

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 07:49:59 AM »
May I suggest you check out the following.  Dream Theatre, Opeth, KMFDM and Vanessa May
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 07:56:50 AM »
Garrettwc, that is sooooo cool!!!

Thanks!

Chris
You're welcome. Credit goes to my teenager. He heard about that site on Tech TV, back when they actually had "tech" stuff on there.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 08:02:54 AM »
I'm very excited by that site, it is a very interesting way of creating a site of a type that a friend and I long ago discussed making. I'm going to play for a while...

Before I do I'll mention that today's favourite song is 'Jenny was a friend of mine' by The Killers.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 08:09:24 AM »
What? No Sinatra?? shocked

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:11:40 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
May I suggest you check out the following.  Dream Theatre, Opeth, KMFDM and Vanessa May
I used to be a KMFDM fan, but all of their music is starting to sound the same.  When they reorganized as MDFMK, I was hoping for a different sound, but it was more of the same.

Otep is interesting and worth checking out.  However, as my friend says, the lead singer sounds like she needs a lozenge. Tongue

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 08:21:38 AM »
It sort of exists, but that is exactly what I was considering.

In brief it would be wikipedia like in that it allowed users to create entries, artist, album, song etc. It would be imdb like in that every single entry would have a simple threaded forum for people to endlessly debate and flame over whose version of Hallelujah is superior.

The big part of the site would be a area for users to submit a 'If you like Radiohead you may like Band X' personal opinion, and other users could rate this opinion. Then you could go to an artist/album/song and view all these recommendations and rate them yourself, highly regarded opinions would rise to the top and stupid suggestions like 'If you like Bob Dylan you may like Songs of Doom and Buggery by my band The Soapy Rags'.

If you look at the BBC's method for 'Have Your Say' debates you can view comments by either order they arrived or by how highly other users recommended that comment, so the music recommendation system could work in that way. Of course then you hope that Amazon buys you out, like they did imdb.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

...has left the building.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 12:51:32 PM »
My current favorite is Black Label Society which is Zakk Wylde's band (he played for Ozzie). Also check out Fear Factory for some good metal, Machines of Loving Grace for industrial. Another favorite is Nefilim (not Nephilim or Fields of the Nephilim). Nefilim is much heavier, a sort of Goth- Metal mix.
If you like Gloom metal check out My Dying Bride.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 04:59:50 PM »
Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
Hmmmm, I have 18 gigs of music. Your tastes almost exactly mirror mine from the list you gave. (Someone should do a study on freedom-minded people and musical preferences.) You'll probably already know a lot of these artists, but here's my mini-list:

A Perfect Circle
Arab Strap
Assemblage 23
Atari Teenage Riot
The Azoic
Bauhaus
Bright Eyes
Buckethead
Chatterbox
Chicks on Speed
Circle of Dust (Made by Klay Scott, Celdweller guy)
Cirrus
Clutch
Coil
Corrosion of Conformity
The Crystal Method
Daddy Yankee
Days of the New
Devendra Banhart
Die Symphony
Dieselboy
DJ Irene
Don Davis
Dresden Dolls
Eleven Shadows
Elliot Goldenthol
Extol
Filter
Frontline Assembly
Funker Vogt
Glenn Miller
GMS
Godhead
Haujobb
Infected Mushroom
Gem
John Zorn
Juno Reactor
Kidney Thieves
Killing Joke
Killing the Old Man (Actually spelt killingtheoldman)
Klank
Klay Scott
Live
London After Midnight
Loreena McKennit
Machinehead
Mastadon
MC Chris
Meshugga
Midnight Orchestra
Mindless Self Indulgence
Ministry
Monster Magnet
Mushroomhead
Nine Inch Nails (duh)
Opera Babes
Orgy
Paris Combo
Paul Oakenfold
Peaches
Pendulem
Peter Gabrial
Pitchshifter
Powerman 5000
Pride and Glory
Project 86
Prong
Punish Yourself
Rasputina
Razed in Black
Regenerator
Rob Dougan
Sander Kleinenberg
Sepultura
Sneaker Pimps
Soil
Squarepusher
Sunna
Switchblade Symphony
Therion
Throbbing Gristle
Type O Negative
VNV Nation
Wumpscut
Zao

Again, a partial list, but some variety and a lot of shoot-offs of the type of music you listed.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 10:28:33 AM »
Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath are about the only thing in my library that is close to what you like.

I'm more inclined to go with Art Smiley
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 01:28:19 PM »
Jason M. +1. As soon as I saw Clutch, Rasputina, Killing Joke and Sepultura in the same place, I knew it was a good list. Particulary check out Clutch's "Pure Rock Fury" and "Blast Tyrant" and Rasputina's "Thanks For the Ether" and "How we Quit the Forest".

If you liked the huge, chaotic sound of Dimmu Borgir, may I suggest you check out Strapping Young Lad - particularly "Heavy as a really heavy thing" (yeah, I know - just give it a chance...) and "City". Both those albums are complete madness.

Also try to find a copy of Pist.on "Number One". Heavy, harmonious and unhappy - what more could you want?

Getting a bit more ecclectic, try out: VAST, Firewater, Cop Shoot Cop (from whom I stole my name), Tool ("Aenima"), Tom Waits, Mediaeval Babes, Cold, Lodestar, Nick Cave, Floodgate, Queens of the Stone Age, Down ("NOLA" not "Down 2"), The Haunted ("The Haunted Made Me Do It"), Karma To Burn, Queenadrena, Sixteen Horsepower, Goldfrapp ("Felt Mountain"), Cradle Of Filth, Biohazard, Nanuchka (www.nanuchka.com), Faith No More, Rico. - and a whole bunch of others Cheesy

Just realised that the best of my list are going to be a PITA to find... Sad Never mind...