Author Topic: Need help from seasoned outdoorsmen.  (Read 14678 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Need help from seasoned outdoorsmen.
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »
The National Forest areas readily available to be are all hot, wet and humid. I need clothing suggestions. Right now I wear cotton ripstop BDU's. They breathe and are rugged enough but I was wondering if they are the best I could do. Long sleeves and durability are a must, also must be breathable. Suggestions? Shoot.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Need help from seasoned outdoorsmen.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »
The National Forest areas readily available to be are all hot, wet and humid. I need clothing suggestions. Right now I wear cotton ripstop BDU's. They breathe and are rugged enough but I was wondering if they are the best I could do. Long sleeves and durability are a must, also must be breathable. Suggestions? Shoot.
Sleeves might be a little short:

=D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
Pants and shirts made from nylon, look for fishing type clothes in places like Cabelas. Ex Officio underwear.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
Sleeves might be a little short:

=D

I probably asked for that.  =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:46:17 PM »
BDU's suck outdoors.  Besides, running around in them makes you look like a right wing militia nutjob.

Pants and shirts made from nylon, look for fishing type clothes in places like Cabelas. Ex Officio underwear.

What he said.

Try here

www.campmor.com
www.rei-outlet.com
www.sierratradingpost.com

Try this

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35744
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91240
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___34268

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »
So, you are saying I probably shouldn't mow my grass in 3 color desert BDU's, openly wearing a gun and having both an American flag and the first Navy Jack flying in front, unless I want to look like a right-wing militia nut job?

As long as it keeps the neighbors guessing, I don't care what I look like.  =D

bob

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »
My standard outdoor cloths are:
an REI or Cabelas sunshirt
Underarmor or knock off T-shirt underneath
REI fancy lycra boxer briefs
Smart Wool hiking socks
Some nylon hiking pants, one pair is convertable
and...

My hat that Charby thinks is something out of Arkansas which I do not understand....   ;/

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Baggy, billowy button-down shirt worn over synthetic t-shirt.  Nylon hiking pants of some sort.  A hat that allows your head to ventilate.  Non-Goretex boots.

I've had really good luck using a parasol in the mountains when the sun is out.  Start with a standard umbrella and cover the top with a layer silver mylar space blanket material.  You'll look kinda goofy, but you'll have cool comfortable shade following you around wherever you go.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
My hat that Charby thinks is something out of Arkansas which I do not understand....   ;/
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff299/trebligb/arkansas.jpg

I rest my case.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08:31 AM »

Stay inside in the AC until late October or November.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:44:32 AM »
I've had really good luck using a parasol in the mountains when the sun is out.  Start with a standard umbrella and cover the top with a layer silver mylar space blanket material.  You'll look kinda goofy, but you'll have cool comfortable shade following you around wherever you go.

I can't argue with the functionality, but that has to get some laughs. :D  We used to have a parking ticket lady around here who wore a rainbow-colored umbrella hat to keep the sun off.  Great idea, but I still couldn't help smiling even after the hundredth time I saw it on her head.
For entertainment purposes only.

Cobalt60

• friend
  • Always looking for Savage 6b and similar .22's.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:31 AM »
As long as it keeps the neighbors guessing, I don't care what I look like.  =D

bob

=D
I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe... Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.
--Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »
BDU's suck outdoors.  Besides, running around in them makes you look like a right wing militia nutjob.

Guilty as charged.  =D

Although I don't really worry about it...in a state where Mossy Oak is a fixture in most proms, I hardly worry about wearing it casually.  =D

Tell you what though, we didn't see a soul the whole time we were out there. Finding that kind of seclusion is hard to find in South Carolina.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »
Guilty as charged.  =D

Although I don't really worry about it...in a state where Mossy Oak is a fixture in most proms, I hardly worry about wearing it casually.  =D

Tell you what though, we didn't see a soul the whole time we were out there. Finding that kind of seclusion is hard to find in South Carolina.

Oh, they were there.  They were just better camoflauged than you.

If you're crawling around in the bushes playing super commando, they BDU's will hold up better than some high speed hiking clothing.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.  I heard there are some "Born to Kill" T shirts on sale at the next gunshow.
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »

Oh, they were there.  They were just better camoflauged than you.

If you're crawling around in the bushes playing super commando, they BDU's will hold up better than some high speed hiking clothing.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.  I heard there are some "Born to Kill" T shirts on sale at the next gunshow.

It's the Mauser, isn't it? You don't take me seriously because of the Mauser. You wait until I buy my LEET Tactical HK PSG1 Teutonic Hammer of Doom. Then we'll see who the "operator" is.

=D

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »
I always wear camo out in the woods, aka down at my camp, because it goes well with my AK, slung, and the pistol on my waist.  It keeps the red neck muthers that live around me down there guessing.......chris3

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
I don't wear "camo," but I do wear earth-tone lightweight nylon pants that convert easily to shorts.  The legs are zippered around the thigh and come off with a few seconds of work.  Great for crossing streams or if it just gets too danged hot.  I have two pairs... one pair is grey and the other is a cross between olive and coyote brown.  I call it "mud."  Got them at REI.

For a shirt, I've never progressed past the stereotypical cotton t-shirt and I have a couple thousand miles of hiking under my feet.

I'd think BDU's would be too hot to be trudging around in.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »

I can't argue with the functionality, but that has to get some laughs. :D  We used to have a parking ticket lady around here who wore a rainbow-colored umbrella hat to keep the sun off.  Great idea, but I still couldn't help smiling even after the hundredth time I saw it on her head.

Funny-looking but functional. Here's Lou Brock sporting one of his original model Brockabrellas:

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
It's the Mauser, isn't it? You don't take me seriously because of the Mauser. You wait until I buy my LEET Tactical HK PSG1 Teutonic Hammer of Doom. Then we'll see who the "operator" is.

=D

Not as cheesy as the morons that invited me along to an FTX in the Utah desert.  They had all the toys, and none of the moves.  It was cute.
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
I've never figured out the casual wearing of camoflauge. The only time I wear camo (some varient of Mossy Oak) is when I am hunting.

Also if its hot and sunny, I prefer lighter colors, darker colors just seem to get hot in full sunlight.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
FTX?

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »

I've never figured out the casual wearing of camoflauge. The only time I wear camo (some varient of Mossy Oak) is when I am hunting.

Also if its hot and sunny, I prefer lighter colors, darker colors just seem to get hot in full sunlight.

Stopped in the Elkins, WV WalMart on my last fishing trip for supplies (beer, ice, snacks, beer, fishing hooks, beer).  Camoflauge was the uniform of the day, even the girls all had at least one item of camo....

FTX?

Chris

Field Training Excercise.  The militia wannabes throw it around alot so they can sound cool out west.  I was friends with a few guys who were pretty into it.
JD

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
FTX?

Chris

I wondered that too.

To address other concerns, t-shirt is not ideal because you really need long sleeves. Dark colours don't matter because you're in the shade all the time anyways. Really the most important thing is to be comfy.

You can literally disappear in those woods because they are so thick. You could wear neon pink and not be seen from more than 30 yards away.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
Nothing throws a wet blanket on your SHTF fantasies quite like seeing the blithering idiots who are "preparing for the revolution." Apparently the %3 represents their approximate brain usage.

Note: I know we have some militia /%3 types on here, so don't get your panties ina twist about this post. Not everyone in the movement is a 'tard; but you'd be intellectually dishonest to deny a lot of 'em are.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »
Field Training Excercise.  The militia wannabes throw it around alot so they can sound cool out west.  I was friends with a few guys who were pretty into it.

Oh, I call that "hunting". :D

Chris