Author Topic: Do they even make decent movies anymore?  (Read 11490 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Do they even make decent movies anymore?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
Oh, and anything with Ron Jermey in it....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
one of my recent favorites was (suprisingly to me) Speed Racer. beautiful special effects and lots of eye candy, 
The coming attractions made it look more like a pinball game than a movie, so I just filed it away in the "must miss" category.

But your post got me to thinking . . . you know, they've combined different movie themes before; Frankenstein vs. The Wolf Man, Alien vs. Predator . . . what if they crossed Speed Racer with (drum roll please) . . . ZARDOZ!?!    :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »
When was the last time an original theme/premise/idea came out of Hollywierd?

There was Redbelt and Tropic Thunder last year. The first Pirates of the Carribean movie 4 years ago. I haven't seen Gran Torino, but the only idea that seems similar is the vigilante aspect.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
Tropic Thunder was a fair spoof of the Rambo/Chuck Norris/Gene HackmanGo back to 'Nam stuff.
Pirates came from the Disney theme ride.
Gran Torino was good but still not really an original theme, Deathwish comes to mind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »
Instead all it was, was a bunch of quick-cut, up-the-nose handheld closeup snatches of Depp and company interspersed with a bunch of spatially and temporally incoherent scenes of people shooting guns somewhere at someone, both intercut in a glaringly obvious way with handheld, noisy, shaky-cam video straight out of a '90's skateboarding video.

Man, I hate shaky-cam stuff, it hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
I am very much looking forward to '9' and 'The Book of Eli'.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
What was "Redbelt" about? Never heard of it.

Ditto 9 and Book of Eli, haven't heard of them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:57 AM »
Tropic Thunder was hilarious, but the basic plot is not terribly original.  We were talking about this a while ago, and someone pointed out its obvious similarity to The Three Amigos.  One big difference, however, is that Tropic Thunder's El Guapo was not the actual El Guapo. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 01:04:04 AM »
What was "Redbelt" about? Never heard of it.

A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor and former Gulf War soldier whose life is turned upside down by circumstances not under his control. Its a drama about his honor, the sort of personal bushido he follows. He doesn't believe in prize fighting yet he is severly pressured to do so. It's not about action or even the fighting, its about him standing firm and refusing to give in against all odds. I admire the character for believing in his convictions. So many people are hippocrites in one way or another. When someone believes in something strongly enough to fight for it they are showing the world they have a strength that many do not. They also have something to live for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ldC5EwmeA  

Tropic Thunder was hilarious, but the basic plot is not terribly original.  We were talking about this a while ago, and someone pointed out its obvious similarity to The Three Amigos.  One big difference, however, is that Tropic Thunder's El Guapo was not the actual El Guapo. 
I need to watch more movies then.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 01:25:43 AM »
There aren't all that many new ideas. Take Death Wish. A guy becomes angry after what has happened to his family/buddy/self/whatever, and goes around killing people. See also: The Patriot, Rambo. This is a theme of Shakespeare's most creepy play, Titus Andronicus. Only Titus is decidedly more crazy-as-a-bedbug than any of the above. Mel Gibson tomahawking a dead guy is child's play by comparison. Rambo knifing people at random is likewise.

Or, a couple has come apart. An event of some sort brings them together, they live happily ever after. For a while, anyway. See: His Girl Friday, Die Hard, among others.

Practically every basic plot has been used and reused. Characters are changed, situations are changed, and sometimes there are two or more plots thrown in. But the basics tend to be the same.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 01:59:49 AM »
There aren't all that many new ideas.

Maybe so but you've got to admit the Matrix was unlike other Hollywood films. The idea of minds being partially loaded into computers was theorized by scientists and popularized by Shirow Masamune. The action scenes are from Hong Kong films. Neo is obvioulsy an agnostic Messiah/superhero. The things that are completely original are the massive AI conspiracy and the matrix itself.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »
It's been said that there's maybe 20 distinct types stories in the world; the rest are simply derivatives.  Some people quibble on the number. Some believe it is lower, others higher, but the point is that's why it seems there are so many remakes.  It had all been done by the time of the ancient Greeks; everything since then is just variation.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »
I'd like to see a movie version of Tom Clancy's Without Remorse but if they're gonna make it like The Sum of All Fears, they better keep their mitts off it.
Look, tiny text!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
I'd like to see a movie version of Tom Clancy's Without Remorse but if they're gonna make it like The Sum of All Fears, they better keep their mitts off it.
My sentiments exactly.  I've always thought that Without Remorse was probably the best Clancy book to make into a movie.  It's not all over the place at the same time like most of his other books. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »
We watched the Watchmen last night

It was quite good
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
I always wondered who watches the Watchmen.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
We watched the Watchmen last night

It was quite good

Feh, a propaganda film for moral relativism that screwed the only character I liked. Plus way too much glowing wang.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »
Feh, a propaganda film for moral relativism that screwed the only character I liked. Plus way too much glowing wang.

There was moral relativism?

...wait, there was moral anything in that movie?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
There was moral relativism?

...wait, there was moral anything in that movie?

"The ends justify the means" could've been the slogan for that movie.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »

Dannyboy seconded, I'll third the nomination. And agree with your condition. TSOAF sucked out loud because of Hollywood's PC treatment.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
Hollyweird just keeps rehashing the same old stuff.
Sure there is only a limited number of "themes" but instead of remaking something thats already been remade 2-3 times pick something new.
There is tons of good novels, fiction and reality based, that could be made into good movies.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/166239/55_movie_remakes_currently_in_the_works.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »
"The ends justify the means" could've been the slogan for that movie.

I disagree. While that could of been the slogan for Ozymandias and the the other "vigilantes" at the end. It sure wasn't Rorschachs slogan, who I would say represented the voice for the movie, voice as in the moral of the story if there was one. I think that instead of simply following the usual heroes always win, they decided to take a different route. But the movie was freaking awesome still in my opinion.

Plus way too much glowing wang.

Just be glad they didn't do full body scenes when he was giant form,  :lol:

It's been said that there's maybe 20 distinct types stories in the world; the rest are simply derivatives.  Some people quibble on the number. Some believe it is lower, others higher, but the point is that's why it seems there are so many remakes.  It had all been done by the time of the ancient Greeks; everything since then is just variation.

Reminds me of that South Park episode where they talk about how the Simpsons had done everything already, it is the episode where Butters, as Professor Chaos, is trying to come up with ways to bring chaos to the world but everything he does had already been done in The Simpsons.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:58:37 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bmitchell

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
Maybe I was watching a different movie, but if y'all thought Gran torino was about vigilantism you may want to watch it again and look at what the characters actually do.

Ben