Author Topic: Do they even make decent movies anymore?  (Read 11489 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: Do they even make decent movies anymore?
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
Zombieland looks like it is going to be a lot of fun.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »
The things that are completely original are the massive AI conspiracy and the matrix itself.

For massive AI conspiracy, see an obscure film called Terminator.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »
The last idea that sounded really original was on an episode of the TV show Crazy Like A Fox. Guy was framed for murder, convicted, sentenced to 20 years. Served his time, got out, and decided to really kill the guy who framed him - and who he was already convicted of killing. Since he'd already served his full sentence for killing the guy, he figured he couldn't be tried again (Double Jeopardy) and the state owed him a freebie. (They made a movie about 10 years ago based on this premise.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »
The last idea that sounded really original was on an episode of the TV show Crazy Like A Fox. Guy was framed for murder, convicted, sentenced to 20 years. Served his time, got out, and decided to really kill the guy who framed him - and who he was already convicted of killing. Since he'd already served his full sentence for killing the guy, he figured he couldn't be tried again (Double Jeopardy) and the state owed him a freebie. (They made a movie about 10 years ago based on this premise.)

Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd & Tommy Lee Jones

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150377/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
I agree that most new movies suck.  I still like the real oldies.  Perhaps my favorite is Arsenic and old Lace.

http://www.blinkbox.com/Movies/1370/Arsenic-and-Old-Lace?Scene=13642