Author Topic: First Aid Kit holes...  (Read 4221 times)

Regolith

• friend
First Aid Kit holes...
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
A while back I decided I needed a good first aid kit.  So I got a cheap surplus medic kit, and added things it was missing, like normal sized bandaids, Imodium, etc. 

What I wound up was something that I could use to treat anything from major bleeding to small cuts,  and nothing in between, which I found to my dismay this morning.   ;/

I got cut on my calf by something in a trashbag I was hauling to the dumpster.  About 2 inches long, somewhat shallow, though still bleeding pretty good.  Went looking for some bandaids that would fit it and found nothing. Had to break out the gauze pads and tape.  Now I look like a survivor of a major battle, over a stinking little 2 inch cut.   :O

Going to have to rectify this hole in my kit pretty soon...

What I'd really like to get is an actual, honest-to-god first aid kit, but those all seem to cost $80+...even more if you want bonuses like Sam splints...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: First Aid Kit holes...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »
Mefix tape or similar is awesome for making/securing medium and larger bandages.  Especially when the patient needs to move, or it's for covering something more chronic like a large burn.

Essentialy it's a big roll of cloth that's like stretchy self-adhesive bandaid fabric, and you can cut it to any size you want. You can make little strips of it, or wrap a whole limb. Whatever you need.

Butterfly closures are also good. Two years ago Audrey sliped and smashed her chin on the bathtub and got a pressure cut on her chin that went down to the bone. It was only about 1/2" long, but really deep. I was home alone, giving all four girls a bath and had them naked and soapy, while I'm holding a screaming Audrey who's bleeding like a stuck pig all over me and the bathroom.  :|

I called my father over to tend to the other girls. I though I'd have to go to the ER and traumatize her all over again with stitches, but keeping pressure on it, the bleeding stoped, with just this angry deep split in her chin looking at me. So I squeezed a little generic Neosporin in there, made sure the skin to either side was perfectly dry and not greasy, and threw a butterfly closure over it. And even with a 2 1/2 year old picking at it, it stayed on and it healed better than if she'd gotten stitches.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
What's really annoying is all the good stuff you actually need for a first aid kit is illegal. Local anesthetics, morphine, competent tools for doing sutures, etc.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
What's really annoying is all the good stuff you actually need for a first aid kit is illegal. Local anesthetics, morphine, competent tools for doing sutures, etc.

The competent tools are most definetly not illegal.  For the painkillers, well, you might need some sort of certification to get it.  A good doctor might be able to get you something, perhaps a tiny prescription.

Have you considered vet supplies?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »
Epi-pens, inhalers, hardcore antihistamines...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Mefix tape or similar is awesome for making/securing medium and larger bandages.  Especially when the patient needs to move, or it's for covering something more chronic like a large burn.

Essentialy it's a big roll of cloth that's like stretchy self-adhesive bandaid fabric, and you can cut it to any size you want. You can make little strips of it, or wrap a whole limb. Whatever you need.

I could have used some of that stuff.  The "tape" I used is only sticks to itself, so I pretty much HAD to wrap my leg with it.

Any idea on where to buy it?

Might have to pick up some butterfly bandages too...

I'm thinking about getting this kit: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat20132&id=0025093517322a&navCount=4&podId=0025093&parentId=cat20132&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20132&hasJS=true

Specifically the "hunter" one.  Not quite as good as the outfitter, but I can live without some of the things in that one, and I don't really want to spend a whole lot of cash.

Nice thing about the hunter one is it has a triangle bandage.  If it's the right size, those things can be pretty damn handy, though they're more for more serious wounds.  

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
I'll throw in a recommendation for Emergency Medical Products (http://www.buyemp.com/). They have anything you could want, of course with restrictions on epipens and such.

They have simple, small first aid kits up to enormous ones, or you can order one piece-meal based on what you want. My wife is a pediatric trauma nurse, so I used the site to get a very nice first aid kit for her to keep in her car. I could get away with a much simpler one simply because I wouldn't know how to use half the stuff in hers.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
I'll throw in a recommendation for Emergency Medical Products (http://www.buyemp.com/). They have anything you could want, of course with restrictions on epipens and such.

They have simple, small first aid kits up to enormous ones, or you can order one piece-meal based on what you want. My wife is a pediatric trauma nurse, so I used the site to get a very nice first aid kit for her to keep in her car. I could get away with a much simpler one simply because I wouldn't know how to use half the stuff in hers.

Neat site.  Going to have to bookmark it, though their first aid kits don't seem to quite have what I want for my price range.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
Go to your local Pharmacy and wander through the first aid section.  Get medium and large bandages, butterfly bandaids, ace bandages, non stick gauze pads in various sizes, regular first aid tape, and maybe some newskin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Go to your local Pharmacy and wander through the first aid section.  Get medium and large bandages, butterfly bandaids, ace bandages, non stick gauze pads in various sizes, regular first aid tape, and maybe some newskin.

Yeah, that'd be the economical way to do it.

The main reasons I'm thinking about getting the kit though is there are some things I can't get here, and it's easier to get them with the kit.  It also comes with a spiffy carrying case...* :laugh:

I use the local pharmacy to shore up some of the things that the kit either doesn't come with or doesn't have enough of.

*Actually, this is kind of a biggie.  I hate having to dive through a bunch of supplies to find something like I had to today, so an organizer that lets me find something quickly is extremely handy.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
Yeah, that'd be the economical way to do it.

The main reasons I'm thinking about getting the kit though is there are some things I can't get here, and it's easier to get them with the kit.  It also comes with a spiffy carrying case...* :laugh:

I use the local pharmacy to shore up some of the things that the kit either doesn't come with or doesn't have enough of.

*Actually, this is kind of a biggie.  I hate having to dive through a bunch of supplies to find something like I had to today, so an organizer that lets me find something quickly is extremely handy.

Look at hiking kits.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82853

I just put my own together.  Bought a ten dollar tool box, and filled it.  Actually, I need to go through it and see if I need anything else, and refill some of the stuff we use alot (spiderman and hello kitty bandaids  :laugh:)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »
Look at hiking kits.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82853

Nice kit.  Same price as the Cabelas one, but with more stuff...

What are the accident report forms for, though?  Something to do with workplace-related accidents?

I just put my own together.  Bought a ten dollar tool box, and filled it.  Actually, I need to go through it and see if I need anything else, and refill some of the stuff we use alot (spiderman and hello kitty bandaids  :laugh:)

Yeah; that's a good idea for a home medical kit.  I kind of use my hiking kit for my home kit, though.  Cuts down on all the stuff I have to keep track of, and it makes it easy for me to keep with me.  I just toss it in my hiking pack, then toss that in my vehicle.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
I think the forms are for people who do organized hiking and sporting.
JD

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
If you can swing the price, Dr. Blue's Medical Kit http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/parent_id/14/category_id/10/product_id/1171/nm/Doc_Blue_s_Emergency_Medical_Kit has just about everything you will need/want except the heavy-duty pain meds and surgery set.  You PCP can be talked into a script for 10 oxy/hydrocodone or other alkaloid of choice, and surplus surgery kits are available all over the place.  However, there is a lot to be said for merely packing the really big gashes and using crazy glue (generic commercial or high-priced medical grade are almost the same) on the smaller boo-boos.

I have Dr. Blue's as part of the Alamo Kit (I'm too old, weak, sick & grumpy to get out of Dodge for most stuff), and a home-brewed bunch of stuff in cheap tupperware all stored in a carry-on for the home kit.

If you do not want to spend the bucks for a put-together kit, look at the contents list and decide for yourself what you want to add and/or subtract from Dr. Blue's kit.  My personal experience is that medic bags are really not a great way to pack stuff.  I prefer squarish things that give me more access and fewer layers to rumage through.  YMMV.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »

I've used ziplock backs to divide supplies into modules. GP bandages/ most commonly used items on top, everything else on downward.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
Back when I was a paramedic, our gear boxes were made by Plano, and they were slightly modified fishing tackle boxes.  Having multiple trays and movable dividers in the trays allowed for very granular organization.  You could do worse than to buy a tackle box for your first aid kit. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
I think the one must have is a supply of Quik-Clot or similar. I throw a basic kit in a gallon ziploc bag in my car. Kerlix, ace bandages, bottle of Betadine,  old navy neckerchief for myriad uses and some band-aids and butterfly closures. That handles most stuff, I have a Glock shovel in the trunk if you prefer amputations or just a plain old Glock if you feel that badly about it.  :laugh:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
Back when I was a paramedic, our gear boxes were made by Plano, and they were slightly modified fishing tackle boxes.  Having multiple trays and movable dividers in the trays allowed for very granular organization.  You could do worse than to buy a tackle box for your first aid kit. 
My current home first aid kit is actually a Stanly carry along type tool box.  Very common items in the lid storage, common but less used items in the top carry tray, less common and bulky items go into the bottom.

Though looking back I would have gone with a pre-packaged kit.  Ones that come with a good bag and most of the basic items are widely available for a relatively small investment.  When choosing one keep in mind your primary goals and go from there.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
It never ceases to anger me that epipens are prescription only.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
It never ceases to anger me that a lot of things are prescription only.  And some of the ones that are, are so tightly controlled you have to be out of every other option to get them.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 04:41:41 PM »
It never ceases to anger me that a lot of things are prescription only.  And some of the ones that are, are so tightly controlled you have to be out of every other option to get them.

I know, I just think epipens are an especially glaring bit of stupidity.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
Epinephrine is just adrenaline, isn't it?

What idjit decided a substance naturally secreted by a healthy person should be scrip-only?
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
An idjit that realized script only meant more profits?

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design