Author Topic: Republic compared to Democracy  (Read 9228 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Republic compared to Democracy
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
This is nicely done.  Sorry if it's already been posted, I didn't find it with a quick search.

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment/

I particularly like their use of a political spectrum consisting of totalitarianism at one end and anarchy at the other.  Much better than the liberalMedia's left-right = communist-fascist.

Not too deep, but informative.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Republic compared to Democracy
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
I particularly like their use of a political spectrum consisting of totalitarianism at one end and anarchy at the other.

Yep.

I'm not sure dismissing one-man rule was intellectually legitimate, though I'll concede the dictatorships have been replaced with oligarchies in short order.

That aside, I'm afraid Americans would rather have television and beer than freedom.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12:37 AM »
That aside, I'm afraid Americans would rather have television and beer than freedom.

Sadly, to many Americans, television and beer is freedom.  They believe that, if they have the goodies, they are free.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
Yep.

I'm not sure dismissing one-man rule was intellectually legitimate, though I'll concede the dictatorships have been replaced with oligarchies in short order.

Have faith.  It's been so long in America since anyone hasn't had something resembling basic freedom that we all take it for granted.  We assume that the freedoms we have are automatic and natural, and we have no real conception of what it would be like without them.

Once our freedoms are gone, you may find that those folks who wanted nothing more than beer and tv, suddenly want nothing more than their freedom back.  If for no other reason than so they can go back to drinking beer and watching tv.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
Have faith.  It's been so long in America since anyone hasn't had something resembling basic freedom that we all take it for granted.  We assume that the freedoms we have are automatic and natural, and we have no real conception of what it would be like without them.

Once our freedoms are gone, you may find that those folks who wanted nothing more than beer and tv, suddenly want nothing more than their freedom back.  If for no other reason than so they can go back to drinking beer and watching tv.

You ever tried to take beer away from one of them folks?  Or TV for that matter?  Them's fightin words. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
You ever tried to take beer away from one of them folks?  Or TV for that matter?  Them's fightin words. 
My thoughts exactly.  Wait and see what happens when the beer-and-tv-crowd can't have their beer and tv because of an overbearing government.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
Democracy is the form of government that conservatives and liberals demand when they are confident that the majority supports their views.

A republic is the form of government that conservatives and liberals demand when they are confident that the majority does not support their views.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »
A republic is the form of government that conservatives and liberals demand when they are confident that the majority does not support their views.

So you do not actually have an argument except to criticise others' ostensible motives?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
He's right, though.  =) 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »
He's right, though.  =) 

He is. But the fact of the matter is, Republics are a good thing, no matter what motives politicians have about endorsing them.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »

He is. But the fact of the matter is, Republics are a good thing, no matter what motives politicians have about endorsing them.

It's important to be wary of these discussions in a republic, because republics have a mix of institutions.   You can have spectacularly bad governance in a republic as a result of special interest driven demands for "constitutional integrity" or "democratic process."
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
What matters is a Constitutional Republic, with an enlightened Constitution.  You know, the kind of country we used to have.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
You can have spectacularly bad governance in a republic as a result of special interest driven demands for "constitutional integrity" or "democratic process."

My turn.  "Special interest" is what conservatives and liberals call any interest group they disagree with.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »
My turn.  "Special interest" is what conservatives and liberals call any interest group they disagree with.   =)

Did you have an argument there, or are you just criticizing the ostensible motives of others? :)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:20 AM »
You can have spectacularly bad governance in a republic as a result of special interest driven demands for "constitutional integrity" or "democratic process."

"Bad governance" is just a word for "me not getting what I want".

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:51 AM »
"Bad governance" is just a word for "me not getting what I want".

Now this I disagree on - bad governance is that which may give in to your desires today, but as a result becomes unpalatable or unpredictable tomorrow.  It constitutes favoring discrete results over sound process.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »
Bad governance is different from bad citizenship.   Bad governance is tyrannical, unrepresentative governance.  That doesn't mean that the populace, untyrannized over, has a clue; quite often they don't.  Bad citiizenship is wish fulfillment and magical thinking replacing reason and sober civic virtue.  Unfortunately we appear to be witnessing a perfect storm of both bad governance and bad citizenship in America.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  Wait and see what happens when the beer-and-tv-crowd can't have their beer and tv because of an overbearing government.

Sometimes I wonder if we will ever reach the tipping point of the government reaching the point where people become fed up with how the government is running things that they will take action. It seems like the government will get close to the edge but not go over the line, at least not fast enough to cause people to realize what is going on, frog in a pot.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »
There will be a lot of boiled frogs.  But some, trust me, will jump out of the pot.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
So it's those frogs that will start the Revolution/Civil War/Great Insurrection that I'm trying desperately to mark on my calendar?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
So it's those frogs that will start the Revolution/Civil War/Great Insurrection that I'm trying desperately to mark on my calendar?

I checked with the frogs- February 21st, 2011. They said noonish. Mark it down.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
There will be a lot of boiled frogs.  But some, trust me, will jump out of the pot.

One can only hope before it is to late.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »

Then jump, if you're so hellbent on causing the revolution.  Just remember, the outcome might not be what you're hoping for.  Hop, hop.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
What are you getting at? That we should continue to kow-tow to the government? Should the founding fathers have done that?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
What are you getting at? That we should continue to kow-tow to the government? Should the founding fathers have done that?

Dood.  Go "Galt."  That's always an option for someone truly fed up with the system.  You can still even participate on the intarwebz revolución debates while Galting it.

I know a couple folks who have quietly divorced themselves from society with very little external interaction. 

Thing is... you have to put down the beer and the TV remote to git 'er dun.  Owning land without financing it is a challenge.  Building your own infrastructure on that land (home, shop, electricity, well, garden, etc) is expensive too.  Paying credit card payments and mortgages requires a job with the outside world, which requires taxes.

And after all that, you still need some "stuff" from outside.  Gotta have some sort of low key means to generate enough cash income to meet your property tax obligations and other consumables like clothes, certain foods, medicine and gasoline.

The best war you can wage against the FedGov (if you want to) is legally absolve yourself of any income tax liability while living happily and comfortably in an independently sustainable manner.

Or, you can stroke your AR15 in the soft glow of your computer monitor, waiting for ARFCOM's homepage to say "John has a long moustache."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!