Author Topic: Beer Summit...the choices so far....  (Read 3871 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Beer Summit...the choices so far....
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/07/30/carolyn-smagalski-beer-summit-obama/

Carolyn Smagalski 
 - FOXNews.com
 - July 30, 2009
Making Peace Over a Beer

If there is one Band-Aid that has the ability to resuscitate the heart of the American people on all levels, it is beer, whether we admit it or not.

As a beer journalist, I have often wondered what it would take to recognize beer as the international peace maker throughout the world --as the Great Ambassador of Good Will. What would it take to merge three unlikely Americans from different worlds -- the president of the United States, a sergeant in the Cambridge police department, and a Harvard University professor-- in a relaxed atmosphere of open and candid conversation?

When Sergeant James Crowley of the Cambridge Police Department left for work on July 16, 2009, he had no idea his actions of the day would lead to a beer in the White House. Even more preposterous is the idea that the Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., Director of the W.E. B. DuBois Institute for African and African-American Research, would be joining him.

This incident, burning through the nation like a California wildfire--  the media asking questions about racial profiling and the expectations of deferential treatment for the upper class-- has effectively been quenched by beer. How quaint!

Cast the incident aside. There will always be people feeling victimized and misunderstood on both sides. If there is one Band-Aid that has the ability to resuscitate the heart of the American people on all levels, it is beer, whether we admit it or not. President Barack Obama recognizes that basic truth.

This evening, President Obama will be joining the Dynamic Duo of Gates and Crowley at a Beer Summit at the White House. Each has selected their preference for the soiree.

Our president will be drinking a Bud or Bud Lite. Although much of the country may recognize Bud as an All-American beer, I am a bit disappointed that our beloved president chose a beer produced by a company that is now a part of the Anheuser-Busch InBev merger, owned by Belgians and publicly traded in Leuven, Belgium.

If he wanted to stay with a Belgian owned company, I would rather the president had selected Inauguration Ale 2009, better known as Obamagang, crafted by Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, New York. Ommegang, founded by American Don Feinberg, is also Belgian owned by Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat, so that would be of no help in supporting the American economy either.

After all, it is also about the American economy, is it not? I would suggest Erudition by Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California, consistent with President Obama's opinion that this incident was a "teachable moment."

Professor Gates is wavering between a choice of Becks (Germany) and Red Stripe (Jamaica). I find it interesting that his selections portray a strong association with branding-- Red Stripe is consistent with the idea of the power tie. Although I would not go so far as to recommend Professor Gates drink Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard Ale (as some would), the dropping of charges would suggest he quench his success with a Victory Hop Devil Ale from Downingtown, Pennsylvania.

Sergeant Crowley has selected Blue Moon, a Belgian Style witbier, brewed by Molson Coors. At least his selection is half American. Had he decided to leave the professor's house as soon as an ID was provided, he may be drinking Flying Fish Exit 11, a hoppy American Wheat Ale from Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Better yet, the whole bizarre tale may have been avoided had the kindly host of the PBS miniseries on "African American Lives" asked Sgt. Crowley to stay for a beer.

In the final moments, this whole mess may be resolved. Sit back, ye Wise Men, and share the delights of Sam Adams world famous Utopias, with 25% ABV, the highest alcohol content of any beer worldwide -- a boxing match on the taste buds, followed by a gentle opening to fruitiness and warmth. I will guarantee the evening will end in new understanding and national peace.

Carolyn Smagalski, The Beer Fox, is the Editor of Beer & Brewing at BellaOnline and the International Beer Journalist for Beer Connoisseur Online/Magazine. She has written over 600 articles on Beer and Brewing and is one of 13 International Authors who contributed to the book Beer Hunter Whisky Chaser, for the benefit of the Parkinson Society of the UK.

Discuss amongst yourselves....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Beer Summit...the choices so far....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
In the spirit of true racial harmony, Crowley (an Irish surname) should be drinking a Black & Tan.  This drink is a mix of two beers, consisting of a Stout poured on top of an Ale.  The most traditional beers selected are typically Guinness on top of Bass, signifying Irish dominance of English oppression.

However, to truly mark the occasion as a healing experience for all involved, Crowley should substitute the base Ale with something else:  Perhaps Tilberg's Dutch Ale?  This would symbolize the peaceful coexistence between Kenyans and Europeans through African colonial history as a foundation for future relationships.

As for the Stout, nothing would be more fitting than Obsidian, from Deschutes Brewery in Oregon.  This distinctly American beer proclaims boldly that good taste is in order for the occasion.  It's a man's beer, a meal unto itself and dominates the weaker flavors of the Ale to signify the strength of Americans to overcome the psychosis of perceived degradation.

That, and I just want someone with some balls to order a Black & Tan around some race-baiting pimps. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »
Will this be indoors or out?  Formal or casual?  Will they just have a token beer or drink until it's meaningful?  Will any food be served and, if so, what kind?  Will anyone else be present?  Do any of them have to go to work early the next morning?  Will they be sticking to the topic of conflict or does Obama plan to get their input on the economy and health care issues?  Cards or dominoes?  Cubans or blunts?  Sports bar or strip club?  There are too many unknowns.
For entertainment purposes only.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »
Will this be indoors or out?  Formal or casual?  Will they just have a token beer or drink until it's meaningful?  Will any food be served and, if so, what kind?  Will anyone else be present?  Do any of them have to go to work early the next morning?  Will they be sticking to the topic of conflict or does Obama plan to get their input on the economy and health care issues?  Cards or dominoes?  Cubans or blunts?  Sports bar or strip club?  There are too many unknowns.

I think you missed your calling as a political handler....  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »
Who paid for this little shindig?  How about the plane tickets to DC?  Oh, wait, nevermind.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

The unknown is now known....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/30/obama-takes-swig-black-scholar-white-cop/

On Thursday, Gates and Crowley, dressed in dark suits, had Sam Adams Light and Blue Moon, respectively, while Obama, in rolled up shirt sleeves, had a Bud Light. Biden joined them for a non-alcoholic Bucklers.

They also munched on peanuts and pretzels served in small silver bowls as the media snapped photos.

I'm surprised....Gates originally was going to choose Red Stripe.....which would have been a more appropriate choice for Obama....

...at least Biden didn't drink anything heavy.....wouldn't want him to look stupid or anything....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
So, I wonder what Crowley thinks of becoming a media pawn for Obama?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »

He already was one....at least, this way, he'll get a beer and some snacks in the deal....  =|

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »

For the win!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
Interesting how in the article Obama said he wanted to "downplay" the meeting. Hence the cameras then I guess.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
Anybody have a short synopsis of how it went?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
I understand it went something like this:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 12:30:55 AM »
So is stumblin' Joe Biden a recovering alkie, hence the near beer?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »
So is stumblin' Joe Biden a recovering alkie, hence the near beer?

I think he's already proven that he doesn't require lubrication to make a total fool of himself.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:00:48 AM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 06:07:15 AM »
^^ Those xkcd guys are pure win....  :laugh:

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
In the spirit of true racial harmony, Crowley (an Irish surname) should be drinking a Black & Tan.  This drink is a mix of two beers, consisting of a Stout poured on top of an Ale.  The most traditional beers selected are typically Guinness on top of Bass, signifying Irish dominance of English oppression.

Black & Tans are blasphemous, especially with Bass.  They're also about as Irish as O'Bama.  Unless, of course, it's made with Smithwick's.  Then, it's usually called a Blacksmith.

Guinness doesn't need anything else to make it taste good.   
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
Obama's beer is darn close to water

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »
Is that a lemon in the cop's beer?  Good grief!

Can't any of those guys drink American beer?  The cop especially should be drinking a local micro-brew since he's from Mass.  There are a bunch of good breweries up here.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
Obama's beer is darn close to water.

True, but it would have reinforced his image as an elite snob if he'd ordered anything other than a pedestrian beer. It had to be something like Bud, Miller, Pabst or Coors.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 09:52:43 AM »
so when getting together "for a beer" you drink different beer than the host?

isn't there a common cup/break bread/clink glasses in unity etiquette?

The beer summit will be studied in polysci 101

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
Is that a lemon in the cop's beer?  Good grief!

Can't any of those guys drink American beer?  The cop especially should be drinking a local micro-brew since he's from Mass.  There are a bunch of good breweries up here.

Its a blue moon, so it really should have citrus in it, like an orange or tangerine slice.  Lemon is more apporpriate for a Hefeweizen.
JD

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
I think this picture of Crowley says it all with regards to how he felt about things.