Author Topic: Star Wars - In Concert  (Read 2883 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Star Wars - In Concert
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »
http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/

Hmmm....

I just got emailed this because it's coming to Glendale Arena and I'm on the ticketbastard junk mailing list from buying tickets in the past for other concerts.

Utter geek-fest.  El T would enjoy... lots of wookie memorabilia. =D

On one hand I'm intimidated by what will undoubtedly be a bunch of scifi wankers dressed up in costume and walking around with stupid lightsaber props.

On the other hand, Williams' score for the first 3 movies was amazing.  I've always wanted to hear it live.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:20:01 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Star Wars - In Concert
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
That's my other fear, freak.

I wanna hear the music... not a bunch of sound effects attached to the movie presentation playing on a big screen above the orchestra.

The fact that they feature some sub-10 year old kids in the "trailer" to it turns me off, but I guess Star Wars doesn't exactly market itself to a uniquely adult audience anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »
http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/

Hmmm....

I just got emailed this because it's coming to Glendale Arena and I'm on the ticketbastard junk mailing list from buying tickets in the past for other concerts.

Utter geek-fest.  El T would enjoy... lots of wookie memorabilia. =D

On one hand I'm intimidated by what will undoubtedly be a bunch of scifi wankers dressed up in costume and walking around with stupid lightsaber props.

On the other hand, Williams' score for the first 3 movies was amazing.  I've always wanted to hear it live.

Having just trooped the 'Music Of John Williams' event at Wolf Trap (Maestro Erich Kunzel directing the National Symphony Orchestra), I have to agree with the latter line there.  It was something else, hearing it live - doing so while onstage, even just briefly, was fantastic.  That there were 30 of us "scifi wankers dressed up in costume and walking around with stupid lightsaber props" on stage at the Maestro's request just made it that much better, and the audience, from their response, loved it.

John Williams is an amazing composer.  Get a first-rate orchestra performing his work, and you've got one hell of a show.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Well, I went and saw it.

I bought tickets the Friday before and Ticketbastard had a "buy one, get one half off" sale to boost sales numbers.  I somehow got center section, first row, seats 5 and 6 by their randomizer lottery when choosing tickets.  Amazing seats.

So the tix where $50 each after the discount, and ticketbastard piled on $35 worth of "convenience" fees. :|  I go through checkout and ticketbastard adds another $5 "processing" fee. :mad:

Anyways, it was a great show.  The scifi dorks were detrimental to appreciation.  The LCD screen was a distraction from the orchestra, and you could occasionally hear dialogue from the movies that competed with the music.

Anthony Daniels (C3P0) was the narrator and did a fantastic job: very entertaining and funny, even mimicking the "odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are approximately 3,720 to 1!" line from Empire Strikes Back.

I suggest seeing it if you have the disposable income to do so.  In retrospect, the premium seats were overkill for the experience and balcony or other seats would have been fine.  I really wanted to focus on the orchestra and being so close I had a hard time perceiving the particular sections responsible for the different sounds of the arrangements.

Still, it was a great time.
--Lysander Spooner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »
Were the Wookies throwing Cheetos at the LCD Screen again ??

=D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
I want to see Bugs Bunny in Concert.  The Kill the Wabbit Opera would be good.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
I want to see Bugs Bunny in Concert.  The Kill the Wabbit Opera would be good.  :)

They do one of those at Wolf Trap every year, IIRC - my wife took the kids to see it a couple of years ago (I was working, rassum-frassum-gol-darn-it! [/Yosemite Sam]), and they said it was a great time.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
That would be great!  I got most of my appreciation for classical music from Bugs Bunny.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
One time in the distant past when SNL was funny (long, long ago like 1990), they did a fake commercial.  It was done like those Time Life Books music CD commercials for classical music.  Instead of the song titles from the classical music, it was titles or subjects from the cartoons.  It was pretty good (in my memory at least). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
One time in the distant past when SNL was funny (long, long ago like 1990), they did a fake commercial.  It was done like those Time Life Books music CD commercials for classical music.  Instead of the song titles from the classical music, it was titles or subjects from the cartoons.  It was pretty good (in my memory at least). 

I would buy a collection Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck Looney Tunes. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
I would buy a collection Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck Looney Tunes. 

You DO know that the Looney Tunes Collections are out now on DVD, right?  They've been out for years, actually.  We have Volumes 1-4, I think, at home, and I'm fairly sure there is at least one more volume to get, possibly more.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
You DO know that the Looney Tunes Collections are out now on DVD, right?  They've been out for years, actually.  We have Volumes 1-4, I think, at home, and I'm fairly sure there is at least one more volume to get, possibly more.
But do they have it on a music CD?  :)

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 02:03:59 AM »
Quote from: MechAg94
I want to see Bugs Bunny in Concert.  The Kill the Wabbit Opera would be good.

That's Opewa! Opewa!   =D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.