Author Topic: Getting a New Boss, redux  (Read 924 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Getting a New Boss, redux
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
I started a thread a couple of months ago about our new Director, OT&E, which strayed from politics too far for the curmudgeon's Mike's tolerance and got closed.

Yesterday, Dr. Gilmore's nomination made it out of SASC subcommittee and to the full Senate today. We who have been briefing him up hoped that the Senate would vote to confirm today before their vacation. Not to be. Apparently, some Senator placed a hold on all Justice and Dod appointees until he/she got answers on what the Gitmo terrorists detainees' disposition will be.

When I briefed him late today, I asked if he was frustrated by being held out of work by an issue over which he has no possible control; his answer was "I actually feel liberated because I have no control over my fate." Interesting view, No?

This is indeed a strange political system we have.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Getting a New Boss, redux
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
It can make you feel free and relaxed to be in a situation knowing that you have little or no control over the outcome or process.  Might as well just be along for the ride, then.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Getting a New Boss, redux
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »
Yesterday, Dr. Gilmore's nomination made it out of SASC subcommittee and to the full Senate today. We who have been briefing him up hoped that the Senate would vote to confirm today before their vacation. Not to be. Apparently, some Senator placed a hold on all Justice and Dod appointees until he/she got answers on what the Gitmo terrorists detainees' disposition will be.

When I briefed him late today, I asked if he was frustrated by being held out of work by an issue over which he has no possible control; his answer was "I actually feel liberated because I have no control over my fate." Interesting view, No?

This is indeed a strange political system we have.

TC

I recommend picking up a copy of "Inside the Wire" by Erik Saar.  Good book.  We both know that the majority of detainees were turned in for bounties and/or fingered by personal enemies.  Problem is, we also know there are some hardcore bad folk mixed in with the sheep...  Telling the difference between the two is problematic at best.  A secondary concern is folks who were not hardcores when they arrived, but now are.  Let's face it, if either of us were housed by Iran under less than pleasant conditions for years...  We would not emerge singing praises for all things Persian.

Not that it matters too much.  The extremely high value folks are no longer at Gitmo. 

Still, yea, it's annoying to have a single politician hold up appointees or promotions to grandstand.  One of the prices we pay for civilian control of the military. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.