Author Topic: It may be a bad recession, but I saw plenty of disposable income last weekend!  (Read 7788 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
I took my annual pilgramage to Oshkosh, but this time I had my 8 year-old nephew in tow, as well as his grandfather.

The New Waco Company had a pair of 2009 Waco biplanes on display.  Pretty spiffy, a brand-new plane right off the manufacturer's lot:

Of course, I have a soft spot in my heart for the classic Beechcraft Staggerwing:

There were warbirds aplenty, including a Spitfire or two:

And a very rare Westland Lysander:

More later...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

sumpnz

• friend
VERY cool.  I've been wanting to go to KOSH for a loooooong time.  Friend of mine and his family are making their way home from there right now in his 170.  Stuck in NB right now though due to weather.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
New biplanes?  I didn't know anyone was making new ones.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
New biplanes?  I didn't know anyone was making new ones.

Yep. Waco and there's some homebuilts...

And then you can hang a radial (new ones are built offshore, Russia and Eastern Europe, or an overhauled/used American made) on one.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:13:11 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
I'd like a couple of WWII fighters built with modern materials like carbon fiber and the such to see what you could get out of one. It'd be a fun plane if you don't kill yourself with it.

Wow my spelling rocks today.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:09:32 PM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

freakazoid

• friend
Sweet. I wish I had known about this event, I would of taken a special trip up there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• friends
Sweet. I wish I had known about this event, I would of taken a special trip up there.

You can go next year. Oshkosh (or EAA Airventure, as is the "official title") happens every year and is the pilot's Mecca. Except we don't pray towards Wisconson. Well, at least most of us don't.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I am with Lee.  I did not know that anyone was making new biplanes commercially.  I see some homebuilts from time to time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
I'd like a couple of WWII fighters built with modern materials like carbon fiber and the such to see what you could get out of one. It'd been a fun plane if you don't kill yourself with it.
Some of the planes that race at the Reno Air Races are based on WWII models and use modern materials.  Some of them have such a high power to weight ratio that they can out-climb most modern military jets.   :O
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:13:35 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
It's true.  I had a nice chat with the factory rep who displayed the two new Wacos seen in my pics.

http://www.wacoclassic.com/about.html

Chrissy

• MySpace page
Oh wow, those are awesome pics!  I think my sister went to this event a few years ago with her boyfriend.  I know they went to Oshkosh and it was an airplane show of some sort. 

Boomhauer

• friends
Oh wow, those are awesome pics!  I think my sister went to this event a few years ago with her boyfriend.  I know they went to Oshkosh and it was an airplane show of some sort. 

Speaking as a pilot, Oshkosh is "THE" airshow.

A small airshow is merely impressive. Oshkosh is overwhelming.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Speaking as a pilot, Oshkosh is "THE" airshow.

A small airshow is merely impressive. Oshkosh is overwhelming.

So much so that you really need at least a couple of days to take it all in.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Very cool. Thanks for posting. I bet the kid had a blast, great you could take him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
You can go next year. Oshkosh (or EAA Airventure, as is the "official title") happens every year and is the pilot's Mecca. Except we don't pray towards Wisconson. Well, at least most of us don't.

I can't. I am only in the area until I finish my school here then I will be shipped to somewhere else, I'm in the Navy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Regolith

• friend
I can't. I am only in the area until I finish my school here then I will be shipped to somewhere else, I'm in the Navy.

Get yourself posted on an aircraft carrier, and you won't need to go to the airshow. ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I'd rather have the warthog... if I could fly that is.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
I'd rather have the warthog... if I could fly that is.  =D
Everyone can fly a plane. It's the landing that will often prove to be tricky =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
The poor kid was exhausted, but happy as a clam.  Here he is with his grandpa warming up to an F-86 Sabre, same vintage as the one his grandpa saw service with during the Korean War:

This one's for LennyJoe:

Sikorsky S-64 SkyCrane, as used by Erickson for water-bombing (Quite the demonstration they gave, too!):

Honda's new bizjet, dunno where they're gonna put the fart can and Kanji stickers, but here it is:

As for being military and not able to attend, I took leave every year to make the pilgramage, or at least made the effort.  What else are you gonna do with 30 days of annual vacation?   (Granted, if you're stuck on a boat, that's a different story, but you wouldn't find me doing that, anyway...)   =D

BMacklem

I love driving by Oshkosh every year that EAA has the event, I do NOT like how they close off the exits so they're EAA only.
I have to use that particular exit to get to one of my delivery stops just down the road, and they force me to go past to the next exit, then use the frontage road to come back a half mile.
I know a half mile is no big deal, but in the truck I use, it's a pain.
I do get a huge kick of sitting in our store there and watching the bombers do fly-bys.
I can't help but rubberneck to see all the planes and copters in the sky as I head towards there.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Everyone can fly a plane. It's the landing that will often prove to be tricky =D.
Fine, if I could land a plane!  :laugh:

But if I'm flying the Warthog can't I just eject instead?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend

But if I'm flying the Warthog can't I just eject instead?  =D
So long as you only wanna do it once.

:P

freakazoid

• friend
On that Honda Jet, is it just me or does it look like the engine stick UP from the wing?

I'll have to try to take leave next time. Shoot, at this rate, long hold times in between courses, I'll probably still be going to school here or I'll be in c-school in another state. The fleet is a myth.  =D

Boomhauer

• friends
On that Honda Jet, is it just me or does it look like the engine stick UP from the wing?

I'll have to try to take leave next time. Shoot, at this rate, long hold times in between courses, I'll probably still be going to school here or I'll be in c-school in another state. The fleet is a myth.  =D

The engines are mounted on pylons coming up from the wing instead of the usual mounting point up and behind the cabin as on other business jets.

InfidelSerf

• friend
In the past 2 months I have seen 3 A-10 low ceiling flybys and one Apache. 
Anyone have any idea why I would be seeing these aircraft.  Whiteman is the only reason I can think of but it's a fair distance away.

The A10s give me goose bumps everytime.  This last one had me running outside to see what it was.. it was so low I thought a plane wreck was going to be in sight.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76