Author Topic: Hilarious website from the ACLU  (Read 5667 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Hilarious website from the ACLU
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
"Can I take your order?"  A hilarious website about privacy issues.

http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Hilarious website from the ACLU
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Seen it a while back.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
An oldy, but goody.

(Oldie, but goodie?)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
The scary thing is that technologically it's completely within the realm of possibility (although it could be done at great expense with spies and wiretapping.)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
That video implies that they would be against Gov't medical powers because of the inherent conflict of interests. Yet, I haven't heard a thing out of them during the whole fiasco.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »
The scary thing is that technologically it's completely within the realm of possibility (although it could be done at great expense with spies and wiretapping.)

And there are those that would have them do it, and things like that are the stuff of nightmares.
Look, tiny text!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
That video implies that they would be against Gov't medical powers because of the inherent conflict of interests. Yet, I haven't heard a thing out of them during the whole fiasco.

ACLU is not against governmental tyranny.  It is against Republicans.

You'll note how our self-appointed guardians of liberty are screaming about flag@whitehouse.gov. :rolleyes:

5 U.S.C. §552?  Never heard of it.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »

That's why they and the National Rifle Association fight for the same cases half the time, right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
That's why they and the National Rifle Association fight for the same cases half the time, right?

Citation for half the time?

I'd guess it's more "have on one or two occasions fought for the same cases asthe NRA."

I mean, egregious breaches of citizens rights get their involvement, right? Like New Orleans?

....oh, or not.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:32:13 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
Citation for half the time?

It's a figure of speech.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
It's a figure of speech.

A figure of speech, indeed, but it implies a significant number of cases. I don't want perfect 50% proof, but I'm willing to bet it's not even 10%.

MAYBE 5, but I think even that's pushing it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
"Can I take your order?"  A hilarious website about privacy issues.

http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

IIRC, that was produced right after the Patriot Act came out.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »

You'll note how our self-appointed guardians of liberty are screaming about flag@whitehouse.gov. :rolleyes:

5 U.S.C. §552?  Never heard of it.

So donate to the EFF instead.  They're not partisan.  To give ya an idea of how hardcore they are, they've sued the NSA for breaking the law. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
What do you think keeps EFF from being more prominent in the public eye?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »
Honestly Oleg, I think they just don't get press because there's nothing "bleeding" in any of their fights. Everything EFF does concerns what are (to most Americans) fairly esoteric issues...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
I'd never heard of EFF until I read the post by RevDisk.

Electronic Frontier Foundation, right?
www.eff.org
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
I'd never heard of EFF until I read the post by RevDisk.

Electronic Frontier Foundation, right?
www.eff.org

Yes, the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

They are good people.  I recently decided to donate monthly to them.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:57 PM »

Heck, that's an easy one.  They don't politic.  They have their core mission set of interests and that's what they generally stick to.  AFAIK, they've never sold out their own membership to score points.  You don't get to the top of the mountain by sticking to your principles and being honest.  They also don't sell out to a political party as both the ACLU and the NRA have done on a regular basis. 

The rest of it is more mundane.  They spend their cash on suing the government to try to get them to follow the law or defending folks from blatantly unconstitutional laws.  They don't spend huge amounts of dollars on PR.  They don't use FUD.  Their core mission is defending civil liberties, and that's never popular with a lot of folks. 

EFF's starting to do more PR work, of sorts.  They're having a significantly larger presense at Defcon, so literally thousands of hackers are at their disposal. 

Boston Transit Authority case is a prime example.  Last year, BTA sued a couple MIT students to prevent them from giving a speech at Defcon.  Essentially, the idiots at the BTA encoded the fare amount on the cards (and not on a central server) and thought they could fix the flaw by attempting to silence a couple of kids.  Sound stupid?  Yea...  Worse,  they waited until the kids were out of the state and filed an injunction filled with many demonstratively false statements.  Well...  Couple problems for the BTA.  First off, the details were published on a CD and handed out to a couple thousand hackers before the injunction was filed.  Second off, the EFF took up the case at Defcon.  On the spot, with no reservations.   Third, hackers tend to have a persecution complex and a strong dislike for heavy handed authoritarian types.  Here is a photo of the internal data structure of the fare card with the MIT students in the background, with EFF at the podium.  Folks, and not just hackers, tossed in every conceiveable resource at the EFF.  Money, equipment, space, secure internet access, industry expert testimony, etc.  If the EFF needed something or someone at 4am, it was delivered by 4:15.   The injunction forced the kids to miss the presentation, but we found someone else to give an impromtu presentation that covered even more stuff.  After the conf, the EFF did manage to crush the BTA suit.  They're heroes, and I'm not the kind of guy to say that lightly. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
. . . they waited until the kids were out of the state and filed an injunction . . .
IANAL, but a) did they serve the kids in another state; and b) Was the injunction issued by a Federal court, which would have jurisdiction in the other state?

I'm just curious, because I remember when the Colts moved to Indianapolis, Baltimore got an injuction preventing the move . . . but it had no force, because it was issued by a state court and the Colts were already out of state - and beyond the court's jurisdiction - when it was filed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
IANAL, but a) did they serve the kids in another state; and b) Was the injunction issued by a Federal court, which would have jurisdiction in the other state?

Not sure how the papers were served.  Jurisdiction was the kids' home area, so they'd be returning to that jurisdiction...  It'd be frankly unwise to violate a court order out of a jurisdiction and then immediately return to said jurisdiction.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 12:42:12 AM »
Heck, that's an easy one.  They don't politic. 
I suspect it's even easier than that.  They don't have the multi-million person memberships like NRA, ACLU, AARP, NAACP, etc.  They don't have the means to make a real ruckus either, not the way NRA, ACLU, AARP etc all can. 

For all their good intentions, EFF simply doesn't amount to much, not when compare to the big boys.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 12:55:28 AM »
I suspect it's even easier than that.  They don't have the multi-million person memberships like NRA, ACLU, AARP, NAACP, etc.  They don't have the means to make a real ruckus either, not the way NRA, ACLU, AARP etc all can. 

For all their good intentions, EFF simply doesn't amount to much, not when compare to the big boys.