Author Topic: Lawyers in CO?  (Read 18272 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Lawyers in CO?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »
Is there a "PTK legal defense fund" set up somewhere? If someone I knew as trustworthy *cough*Oleg*cough* was running it I'd contribute.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
My ability to keep track of other people's money is pretty poor. PTK is a good guy in my book, so I would like to help him -- I am just not well suited for the role of the treasurer.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
Fair enough. You were just the first person that came to mind. :)

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
vaskidmark - Actually, I think I'm the doofus here - I didn't even comprehend that you had offered to loan me money for this issue.

If all else fails, if I cannot raise money for this on my own, I will consider that. Thank you, very much.  =)

In regards to a legal defense fund, I suppose not all of you hate me, then.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:17:49 PM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
No, it's not that we do not hate you.  We just figure that a contribution to your legal defense fund would be cheaper than buying tickets to the trial.

The only problem I can see with a legal defense fund is you need to have a lawyer who can be paid the money collected.  The whole thing is someone sits on the nest egg till a bill comes due, then pays it directly on your behalf.

I've done a few for a friend in the Tidewater area who seems to attract the attention of one city's cops for open carrying.  All wins so far, and he has bought a new gun and some very nice leather with the settlement proceeds.  We are looking forward to his next arrest because he has promised us rides in the new car that city will be buying him.  The best part is setting them up through PayPal - I love the irony involved.

Go get a lawyer already.  It will help get your head back into the daylight.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
I'm actively seeking recommendations on lawyers, both from here and from friends in person. I've got a few numbers to call tomorrow, and hopefully will be hearing back from other friends about ideas on Thursday.  =)

Once that's done, if any of you folks are serious about a defense fund... we'll need to figure a way to set one up. I've not exactly got piles of money around. ;)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »
Jesus Christ, man, who put a curse on you?

You've had some of the worst luck (short of kicking the bucket) of anyone I've known.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
It's like Dennis Leary says: Life sucks and then you get cancer, then you go into remission after a long, costly, painful struggle, then you get hit by a bus, then you die.   =D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 11:23:46 PM »
Jesus Christ, man, who put a curse on you?

You've had some of the worst luck (short of kicking the bucket) of anyone I've known.

I am wondering if the current issue was triggered by the previous one.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

PTK

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 12:12:29 AM »
Nope. Please, no more speculation - I'm not going into detail until after the case is settled (hopefully in my favor)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
Okay, I believe I've found a lawyer. The firm I'm going to be meeting with in a few days is experienced with this sort of matter.

I'm nervous. I've only talked to lawyers about things such as divorce and trust law. Any insight, advice, words of wisdom? I know well enough to give no real details unless/until I retain the firm.

If this is indeed the best place to go with (they're the only place within 50 miles that has gone to trial with this sort of case that is also open for new clients), I will probably be needing a hand with paying. I've started gathering resources already, but I don't know how much this firm will be to retain.

Again, I'm nervous.  =|

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »
$1.00 placed in the lawyer's hand makes you a paying client.  Explain to him/her/it you are nervous, scared, and worried about saying anything that could be used against you by the prosecutor, so want to start off with establishing lawyer/client confidentiality.  Then explain that you intend to pay whatever fee is negotiated between you and the firm, on the schedule negotiated.  (Notice the two hints contained therein?)

Yes, some lawyers will tell you that the free consultation carries lawyer/client confidentialty.  I have seen one case where an asshat judge demanded proof of the relationship and the lawyer was left stuttering that he had told the guy the privilege existed.  Judge said no receipt for fee paid means no relationship per the Canon of Ethics/state procedural rules/judge's feelings.  Lawyer had to decide between criminal contempt citation and being a witness against the guy he thought was a client.  Yes, it's one incident and not proof positive all situations could/would end up like that.  Why take chances?

Remember the offer I made?  After you talk with the lawyers PM me with your $$ needs.  I'll let you know how much of that I can cover and maybe discuss setting up a legal defense fund to try to knock down some of the balance.  (Anybody got an idea of how much I should try to get for the Sugar Momma?  I'm thinking a FTF sale at the Occoquan Marina ought to get a few $$ for PTK. :angel:)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
Remember the offer I made?  After you talk with the lawyers PM me with your $$ needs.

As long as you're not Bricktop, that may work...  :laugh:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
As long as you're not Bricktop, that may work...  :laugh:

I take it you meant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HAQ3pNHwj4 and not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_%22Bricktop%22_Smith .

Just checking, cause lately I do not get out that much. =D

stay safe.

skidmark

PTK

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
Yes, the former Bricktop.  =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »
Would it bother you to know that some folks make that reference, but note that in comparison to me the fictional character is "way too nice"?  :angel:

Not to worry - first we get you out of this mess, then you will have the ability to devote your full attention to wondering how you are going to repay your friends.  It's all about focusing and remembering the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

stay safe.

skidmark

PTK

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
Would it bother you to know that some folks make that reference, but note that in comparison to me the fictional character is "way too nice"?  :angel:

I reeaaaaally hope you're kidding.  :O

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
I reeaaaaally hope you're kidding.  :O

Yes, we are kidding.  Really.  Trust us...

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 11:28:36 PM »
As someone who has dealt with less savory individuals previously, that scares me more than jail time.  :|

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 03:01:53 AM »
As someone who has dealt with less savory individuals previously, that scares me more than jail time.  :|

Are you planning on doing something to irritate me?  If not, you have no worries.

FYI, I get irritated by stupidity, refusal to accept consequences, having my toys broken, or screwing with my Constitution.  Everything else is either mild amusement or not worthy of notice.  Oh!  About the portable drill - I just happened to be holding it.  I'm not responsible for every kneecap, am I?  :angel:

stay safe.

skidmark

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »
I'd not worry overly PTK, everyone's Billy Badass on teh intartubes.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »

Heh, very true.  On the other hand...  This is an Armed Polite society.  One doesn't need to be Billy Badass when one has sufficient firepower.  Never underestimate folks that are both exceedingly well armed and very courteous.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:01:07 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »

Noted for truth.

Keyboard Kommandos, I call them...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »
I merely meant that people who solve problems by making people disappear are unlikely to brag about it online. I took va's remark as a joke, and I was trying to convey that to PTK.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »
I merely meant that people who solve problems by making people disappear are unlikely to brag about it online. I took va's remark as a joke, and I was trying to convey that to PTK.

Thank you.

Of course it was meant as a joke.  You carry a portable drill around and everybody gets all shook up.  Sheesh! :rolleyes:

PTK - I hope you are keeping a count of the number of folks who are on your side (including me).  Some days it helps to know the number is a big one - especially when many of those being numbered do not know you personally.

stay safe.  srsly - stay safe.

skidmark