Author Topic: Rep. Massa: "I will vote against the interests of my district"  (Read 7381 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Interesting video of Rep. Eric Massa (D-NY). I think the only thing that differentiates this guy from Obama and most other politicians is that he's honest about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXWmVBadWvU

I think far too many politicians on both sides of the aisle believe they know better than their constituents and aren't worried about what the people in their districts think. I'm hopeful that the way some of the town hall meetings have been going is starting to wake some of them up and make them fear for their jobs.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Rep. Massa: "I will vote against the interests of my district"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »
I just looked up his congressional district map.
http://massa.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=27&sectiontree=27
He's not exaggerating when he said in the video "my district is one of the most right-wing in the united states".  I live just outside his district to the left of the Route 20 sign.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »
Owned.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
I think far too many politicians on both sides of the aisle believe they know better than their constituents and aren't worried about what the people in their districts think.
You mean they've come to regard themselves as our rulers rather than our representatives?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
You mean they've come to regard themselves as our rulers rather than our representatives?

Bingo. I think Massa, at least, will be getting a reality check in the next election, based on the demographics of his district. I can only hope the same thing happens in a lot of other districts, both republican and democrat.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
I'm not familiar with that area, but looking at the map, I don't see anything that stands out as a big city or well known liberal enclave. How did a guy like that get in office in a strongly conservative district?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
My understanding is that he rode in on the coattails of Obama-mania in a fairly close victory. But I'm not all that familiar with it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Probably by misrepresenting himself, I'm wagering, to a gullible electorate.  Or maybe he just has the look that someone wants to know better...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »

Then again, there ARE situations where a representative needs to vote his conscience, even if the majority oppose it.  Not this situation, of course. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Interesting video of Rep. Eric Massa (D-NY).

Ironic name for the person who wants to rule us, isn't it?.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »

Then again, there ARE situations where a representative needs to vote his conscience, even if the majority oppose it.  Not this situation, of course. 

And if a representative's conscience tells him to vote against the wishes of his constituency, he has to be voted out.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
And if a representative's conscience tells him to vote against the wishes of his constituency, he has to be voted out.

He at least should be prepared to live with the consequences, yeah. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
Quote from: Rep. Massa(D-NY)
I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district.

In the next election, if the Republican candidate doesn't make Massa's statement a centerpiece of his campaign ads . . . he'll show that the GOP really deserves their nickname of "The Stupid Party."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »
We have two problems here.  One is the long-building issue of pols not listening to the people.  That one has reached the flashpoint.

But the second--which is not the issue with the town hall meetings--lies in the suffrage process itself.  We have turned the voting process into a travesty in the last forty years.

I don't think these two problems are unrelated.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »
Last 40 years? I was unaware any changes had taken place since the 60's, barring letting 18 y/o's vote.

I'll ask you again what specific measures you'd take to fix these problems you see with universal suffrage.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
I'll ask you again what specific measures you'd take to fix these problems you see with universal suffrage.
Well, the question wasn't directed to me, but I'll weigh in: people who don't pay income tax shouldn't have a say in how my tax money is spent, nor should they have a voice in choosing those who make the decisions. Too many of these believe they have a right to the fruits of my labor - and vote accordingly.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
But you can vote for fuel taxes, sales taxes, property taxes to molest them? Prohibit their favored activities? Sweet.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
Well, the question wasn't directed to me, but I'll weigh in: people who don't pay income tax shouldn't have a say in how my tax money is spent, nor should they have a voice in choosing those who make the decisions. Too many of these believe they have a right to the fruits of my labor - and vote accordingly.
Ain't that the truth.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
I agree on this.  The founding fathers decided on voting standards for a reason.  Those who participated, invested, contributed, and had a stake in the nations welfare got to vote, and only they got to vote.

Now, I am not advocating the standard they used.  Woman, all races, land ownership or otherwise, etc.  Morality has evolved and so has society.

My basic standard is that of a productive member of society, the specifics of which can be debated all year long.  But I think some basics are employed, student, retired, not unemployed for more then a certain period.  If your spouse works and you stay at home as a homemaker, that's fine.  In short, you need to be a productive member of society and not a leach.  Those on welfare or living on government handouts should not be able to vote on a bigger handout at the expense of the productive members of society.   

You should also need a basic understanding of the structure of our government and how it works.  If you can't give me a basic explanation of the make up of congress, you shouldn't get to vote.  If you can't name the branches of government and give a basic explanation of their roles, you shouldn't get to vote.  I don't see how someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of a system can ever hope to make an informed decision on who to vote into that system.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
I agree on this.  The founding fathers decided on voting standards for a reason.  Those who participated, invested, contributed, and had a stake in the nations welfare got to vote, and only they got to vote.

That's just not true.  Every colony had different standards.  Not all of them required property or taxation.  Such requirements (where they existed) were not always strictly enforced, especially as the Revolution got underway.  They were lowered or abolished within a decade or two, if I remember right.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
That's just not true.  Every colony had different standards.  Not all of them required property or taxation.  Such requirements (where they existed) were not always strictly enforced, especially as the Revolution got underway.  They were lowered or abolished within a decade or two, if I remember right.

I never stated the standard was universal throughout the colonies, I stated standards existed and should continue to do so.

We've gotten to the point where the only standard is breathing, let alone proving eligibility with identification.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »
I never stated the standard was universal throughout the colonies, I stated standards existed and should continue to do so.

Many Founders believed that the franchise should be universal to all adult Freemen. It is a falsehood to point to the Founding Fathers as a united body of men. They were not such.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »
Lupinus, I see what you're saying, but the statement I quoted is still incorrect.  The founding fathers did away with the sort of standards you mentioned.  You seemed to imply that they instituted them. 

The founding fathers decided on voting standards for a reason.  Those who participated, invested, contributed, and had a stake in the nations welfare got to vote, and only they got to vote.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Many Founders believed that the franchise should be universal to all adult Freemen. It is a falsehood to point to the Founding Fathers as a united body of men. They were not such.
And we can argue the same about everything they finally settled on.  Different people within a group will always have different ideas.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
And we can argue the same about everything they finally settled on.  Different people within a group will always have different ideas.

And they didn't "settle" on a unified standard for the suffrage. Certainly not in the Constitution.