Author Topic: ...and I just leave my waitress a tip...  (Read 13599 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:54:43 PM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
Re: ...and I just leave my waitress a tip...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
I never understood why this was a firing offense. Police officers do a thousand things that should get them fired or jailed and get off with a week of paid leave, this guy takes a picture of a waitress and gets fired. I really don't understand the offense here, but maybe my understanding of the situation is incomplete.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
I never understood why this was a firing offense. Police officers do a thousand things that should get them fired or jailed and get off with a week of paid leave, this guy takes a picture of a waitress and gets fired. I really don't understand the offense here, but maybe my understanding of the situation is incomplete.

It involves sexuality AND guns. They had to be destroyed.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
At first I thought that... but ultimately I think it boils down to a non-LEO being handed a LEO issued weapon in public.

Had this happened at the gun range, at the station, in the home of one of the officers or at the woman's home, nothing would have come of it.

Same thing would have probably happened if a LEO handed an issue weapon to his 13 year old son, 35 year old wife or 68 year old uncle's neighbor's ex room-mate, in public.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »
They got caught being unprofessional (they're not paid to photograph police bunnies) and unsafe (letting someone handle their duty weapon). I agree that other officers nation wide have done much worse and received less punishment. If we wanted hormonally imbalanced teenagers to be in law enforcement that's who would be hired not adults.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
I bet that had the photograph not reached the media and embarassed the department, nothing would have happened.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
At first I thought that... but ultimately I think it boils down to a non-LEO being handed a LEO issued weapon in public.

not entirely. using your official LE vehicle and you official LE rifle for a photo shoot of a girl in a short skirt and a.... well i hesitate to call that a top, purely for poops and giggles, is not and i repeat IS NOT apprpriate behavior. it doesn't have anything to do with the 'OMG ITS A GUN" factor. its has to do with they are deputies not 13 year old boys and should have a better grasp on proffesionalism.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
I know that law enforcement officers around here routinely do things more serious than this. If I know this, so does the brass.

I concur that this would have gone nowhere if the photos hadn't gone public.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
its has to do with they are deputies not 13 year old boys and should have a better grasp on proffesionalism.

Golly, are YOU ever naive and idealistic. I've encountered an awful lot of police officers during my sojourn on this desolate rock called Earth that would make a 13-year old boy seem positively mature in comparison.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »
Surely the issue at hand here is the beers these chaps had consumed whilst in possession of all that stuff?  Getting some scantily-clad blonde to pose with the gun and car in public view is bad enough, but doing it while everyone is lagered up and taking photos of it in the car park is very unprofessional at best, IMHO?

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »
As others here said, I think if the photos had not gone public, this wouldn't have been an issue.  But the department was disgraced, so they had to do something.  I don't think anyone should have been fired over this, but rather reprimanded or given some time off or some other such thing.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
Forget the cops....I'm in love with that girl!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »
I think that the LEO's in question should definitely suffer consequences for this type of action--esp. since it occurred in a public place. Maybe a week's suspension w/o pay or cleaning the drunk tank after their shift for a month...but not termination. That just leaves your sheriff's department three men short.

...at least one good thing came out of this....that poor little waitress won't be exploited for her looks anymore.....

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:50 AM »
not entirely. using your official LE vehicle and you official LE rifle for a photo shoot of a girl in a short skirt and a.... well i hesitate to call that a top, purely for poops and giggles, is not and i repeat IS NOT apprpriate behavior.

I'd rather police officers have beautiful, scantily clad women pose with their duty weapons than some of the unconstitutional behavior they commonly get away with. 

Using Tasers on senior citizens offends me far more than a pretty woman does.  In fact, I have a hard time being offended by a pretty woman at all.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »

I'd rather police officers have beautiful, scantily clad women pose with their duty weapons than some of the unconstitutional behavior they commonly get away with. 

Using Tasers on senior citizens offends me far more than a pretty woman does.  In fact, I have a hard time being offended by a pretty woman at all.

Amazingly, I agree with Nitrogen.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 06:40:06 AM »
Well, he did after all, hand her his AR-15 ASSUALT rifle!  :O

There's a rifle vs gun joke in here somewhere but I'm going to leave it alone.  :angel:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
Rule #1: don't embarrass your boss.  That's usually a firing offense.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
Forget the cops....I'm in love with that girl!

Apparently so was he.  :)

I am not seeing this as a firing offense either.  Taking a warrant and breaking into the wrong house is a firing offense.  Not this.

Of course, if I took a girl into the chemical plant I work at and took scantily clad photos up on top of the cold box 100 feet in the air, I might be fired also.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 08:06:48 AM »
If I took pictures of strange women, scantily clad, in my "workplace", I'd certainly get fired!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:57 AM »
Golly, are YOU ever naive and idealistic. I've encountered an awful lot of police officers during my sojourn on this desolate rock called Earth that would make a 13-year old boy seem positively mature in comparison.

You get the civil servants you accept. I have friends that are currently in law enforcement and friends that no longer are. The ones that are no longer officers didn't act like professionals in public whether on or off duty. The ones that are still in LE act like professionals in public on and off duty. Go figure. Of course I live in a more rural county and maybe our expectations is a little different.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »
Getting drunk and playing with guns (and embarrassing the dept etc) should definitely be a firing offense.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »

I'm tossing in with Nitrogen.  So they took a picture of a nice looking lady in her work uniform with a rifle.  ...  And?  She scratch the paint job on the car or something?  As long as they were polite, sober and not acting rudely...  So what?  Heck, I provided a Stinger surface-to-air missile launcher and an M82A1 for a couple pretty ladies to have their photo taken with.  Gods only know what case of the vapors that would cause for some folks.

So taking photos of a pretty lady with a duty weapon is termination offense, for being unprofessional.  But being overly enthusiastic about say, asset seizure is not?  Some folks have odd priorities.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
If I took pictures of strange women, scantily clad, in my "workplace", I'd certainly get fired!

Up until a couple of years ago, that was part of my job description. ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
Don't you work at a home office?  :D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Up until a couple of years ago, that was part of my job description.

X-ray tech?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.