Author Topic: Most convincing artificial accents in the movies  (Read 22711 times)

doczinn

• friend
Re: Most convincing artificial accents in the movies
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
American is a lot more than one accent.  Same goes for English accents, and others.   
True; what I meant, and should have said, was one type of accent.
D. R. ZINN

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
I was born in Iowa and spent the first few years of my life in the Midwest.

I have since lived in Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, Texas, and spent some time in SW Missouri.

So, I am not an expert in Southern dialects, but I have a certain familiarity.  What is jarring to me is to see some actress playing a gal from the Ozarks with an accent that sounds like she watched Gone with the Wind too many times.

My own accent is mostly Midwestern with some South/Western colloquialisms, but has some odd grammar I picked up from my grandparents, whose first language was Low German.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
You know, that Natalie Portman did a great English accent in them pirate movies. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
You know, that Natalie Portman did a great English accent in them pirate movies. 
That was Lindsay Lohan.

robear

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2009, 07:06:58 PM »
That was Lindsay Lohan.

Actually it was Keira Knightley, and she IS British.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
Actually it was Keira Knightley, and she IS British.

Whoosh
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

robear

• friend
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
Whoosh

Was that the sound of a joke flying over my head?   Wouldn't be the first time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »
Hee-hee.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
i will say renee zelwegger in Cold Mountain had a good grasp of Appalachian. also. kidman did well for a southern bell, and her natural soft spokeness aided her as well. however, jud law got a bit on my nerves.

i would say that river and badger are supposed to have a more historical cockney anyway. that would fit more with the general theme of the show. occasionally, the old west lexicon would get to me as forced, especially with non regular characters.

nobody has mentioned Depp, but i liked him a lot in From Hell. i thought he did a good job.

as for colin ferrel, you can tell when he's been allowed to drink/party and get away with being lazy by a director. when he's on the spot doing his job, he can nail an american accent. in stuff like S.W.A.T. you can hear him slip up a lot.

iain, correct me if i'm wrong, but most americans don't really get the diffrence between modern cockney and the classical cleaned victorian type cockney. Layer Cake is the modern.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Iain

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »
iain, correct me if i'm wrong, but most americans don't really get the diffrence between modern cockney and the classical cleaned victorian type cockney. Layer Cake is the modern.

Haven't seen Layer Cake. Supposedly only a very small area of London is truly Cockney, but the pervasiveness of the Laan-dan and Essex accents and Estuary English in British films has meant that quite a lot of people have picked up aspects of that sort of speech.

I'm really not sure how much of the c19th Cockney stuff, with its associated rhyming slang, is a dramatic stereotype popularised by adaptations of Oliver Twist and the like.

Footballers as an example of the diversity of British accents:

Stuart Pearce - quite London-y
Jamie Carragher - have fun with that one
Alan Shearer - intelligible Geordie accent
Gary Neville - Manchester accent

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »
Iain: I have a question. Is Eddie Stone's accent lowland Scott or highland? I would assume its lowland.

He's the round faced guy in blue that starts talking at 1:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zawUndP50

Sorry I couldn't find a better vid.

As for annoying accents what gets me is the stylized fake southern twang put on by many country music singers in their songs. I know accents are regional there as well as here, and I'll admit I know few southerners but I have never heard ANYONE speak like that.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2009, 05:58:35 AM »

nobody has mentioned Depp, but i liked him a lot in From Hell. i thought he did a good job.

Don't forget SWEENEY TODD....he even had to sing with the accent...

...thanks again....Daniel Craig's accents from LAYER CAKE to the Bond films was notable..
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:10 AM »
Iain: I have a question. Is Eddie Stone's accent lowland Scott or highland? I would assume its lowland.

Haven't a clue with Scottish accents. Googling him indicates that he grew up in Campbeltown, Argyllshire. That's on the very narrow finger of land that extends into the sea west and to the south of Glasgow. Although attached to the mainland it is to the west of the isle of Arran. Nearer to Northern Ireland than to Glasgow.

I'm not very attuned to Scottish accents, I'm much more sensitive to south-western accents. It annoys me when people do the broad 'Oooh aarrr Faaarmer Giles' and call it a Cornish accent - but it's the Gloucestershire accent that sounds like that. Cornish doesn't, can't find a video, you'll have to take my word for it.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
Haven't seen Layer Cake. Supposedly only a very small area of London is truly Cockney, but the pervasiveness of the Laan-dan and Essex accents and Estuary English in British films has meant that quite a lot of people have picked up aspects of that sort of speech.

I'm really not sure how much of the c19th Cockney stuff, with its associated rhyming slang, is a dramatic stereotype popularised by adaptations of Oliver Twist and the like.

Orwell spent a great deal of time among poor urban populations and documents their speech, esp the cockney. The rhyming slang you just mentioned is something he described in detail. Quite interesting.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »
As a lifelong Southerner, allow me to disabuse you of the notion that Michael Cainea in Secondhand Lions got it right.  It's horrible.  Nothing is so grating as a (n obviously fake) Southern accent.  Among the worst were the aforemetionined Caine, Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias, and Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump.  Curiously, I think Hanks got much better coaching for his accent in The Green Mile.  Not nearly so bad.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
As a lifelong Southerner, allow me to disabuse you of the notion that Michael Cainea in Secondhand Lions got it right.

Who are you replying to? I've never even heard of the guy.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »
Who are you replying to? I've never even heard of the guy.
Posts 9 and 22 on the first page.  The "a" at the end of the name is a typo; undoubtedly, he means Michael Caine.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2009, 01:17:27 AM »
As a lifelong Southerner
What area of the South? Texan here, and the accent sounded pretty close to the ones I've heard for years.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
F. Savalas, I am from Alabama.  I have done phone support for computer S/W before, and I have at least weekly been asked if I'm from Texas, usually by a Canuck or Northeasterner.  Those are the same group that mis-hear me when I introduce myself as Mike, and call me Mark.

I am astonished to hear that Caine's accent rings true to you.  Both my wife (Alabaman) and I cringed thru the movie when he spoke.  No "in your grill" argument, as I certainly can't tell you what your opinion should be in this matter.

I now also recall Shirley McClain's (sp?) "accent" in Steel Magnolias.  Buncha hooey.

Regional accents are making a comeback, I believe.  It was popular opinion in earlier decades, when major corporations paid to move employees from one section of the country, and there was much more internal migration, that these accents would sort of blend away.  Now, I doubt it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

CNYCacher

• friend
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
Her southern is a bit off, so I suspect others are as well. Very impressive anyway.
D. R. ZINN

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
Would anyone from the U.K. care to comment on David Anders' accent in Alias?  I was quite impressed when I read that he's an American, but that could be because fake U.K.-region accents are so rare in Hollywood.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)