Author Topic: 57% Would Like to Replace Entire Congress  (Read 7286 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 57% Would Like to Replace Entire Congress
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
I don't think this is good news for anyone.  70% of Republican voters feel that current Republicans in congress are out of touch, how is that possibly good news for the GOP?

Ya know, I'm no expert on the horse-race side of politics.  But this here is just as plain as day.  How can I explain the axiomatic?  Here goes:

Voters are fed up with the current crop of numb-skulls in Congress.  That means that a lot of numb-skulls are fixing to get voted out.  Since most of those numb-skulls are Democratic numb-skulls, that means a number of Democrats will be replaced.  And if a Democratic numb-skull loses his seat, who is likely to be the winner?  That's right, a Republican numb-skull. 

Is any of that unclear? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
I think different D's is more likely than replacing D's with R's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
Ya know, I'm no expert on the horse-race side of politics.  But this here is just as plain as day.  How can I explain the axiomatic?  Here goes:

Voters are fed up with the current crop of numb-skulls in Congress.  That means that a lot of numb-skulls are fixing to get voted out.  Since most of those numb-skulls are Democratic numb-skulls, that means a number of Democrats will be replaced.  And if a Democratic numb-skull loses his seat, who is likely to be the winner?  That's right, a Republican numb-skull. 

Is any of that unclear? 

You assume that voters will place all of the blame on the Democrats.  70% of Republicans are dissatisfied with their own party (if this poll is accurate and still accurate at election time), I presume they won't consider third party or democratic candidates as viable alternatives.  Some here also assume that everyone has already forgotten their grievances with the Republicans, from when they had control of both houses and the POTUS. 

From my perspective, you are ignoring the possibility of not voting for either party, or not voting at all.

I am suggesting that these dissatisfied republicans will simply not vote in the next election; I have no plans to vote in the next election.  I like to think of it as the McCain effect.  Many conservatives I know either voted third party, or didn't vote in the last election.

The republicans have made their position clear on many issues, and have indicated they refuse to back down from them.  The only logical conclusions I can form (based on the party's past actions) is that the republican party platform now stands for a large authoritative government, and an interventionist foreign policy to name a few.  Does it really matter who we vote for?

I think different D's is more likely than replacing D's with R's.

I agree.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
You assume that voters will place all of the blame on the Democrats.

From my perspective, you are ignoring the possibility of not voting for either party, or not voting at all.

I'm afraid you're just making things up.  I haven't said or implied any of those things. 

When the other side is in charge, any shake-up is a huge opportunity for your side.  When you are in charge, massive levels of voters dissatisfaction is a VERY BAD SIGN.

I also think that third parties could use this to their advantage, but I have no idea whether they are in a position to do so effectively, or if any of those parties have the acumen to make use of it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »

When the other side is in charge, any shake-up is a huge opportunity for your side.  When you are in charge, massive levels of voters dissatisfaction is a VERY BAD SIGN.
Yup.  When the current situation is good for you, you're better off keeping things the way they are.  When the current situation is bad for you, you benefit from changing it.

I also think that third parties could use this to their advantage, but I have no idea whether they are in a position to do so effectively, or if any of those parties have the acumen to make use of it. 
I agree that this would be an excellent opportunity for a third party to make a run for it, about as good as it ever will be.  If they can't make something of themselves in this climate, I'm not sure they ever can.  So, third party-ers, can you deliver the goods?

Time will tell.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »
Or it may be possible for "rebels" within either party to get their people in with some kind of new message.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner