Author Topic: Mold Abatement  (Read 5096 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Mold Abatement
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:43:03 PM »
So I was out with my National Guard unit for a week, during which time it was hot and very humid.  Upon return to my apartment I discovered mold everywhere... wood surfaces including doors and rifle stocks (shudder), clothing, and even Cordura nylon.  So far I have washed a few items with hot water and sprayed them with Lysol, and that seems to be effective for now.

Does anyone have any ideas for dealing with this problem in the long term?  I plan on buying a dehumidifier as soon as possible, but I'm curious to know if there are any preferred cleaning solutions or methods for this problem.

Thanks in advance.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Regolith

• friend
Re: Mold Abatement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »
My bathroom tends to have a mold problem due to inadequate ventilation from the ceiling fan.  Usually, I knock it down with a bleach all-purpose cleaner.  Kills it fairly fast. 

I have no idea how to keep it from growing back long-term, save keeping the area well ventilated and keeping the humidity down. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:19:38 AM »
Take off and nuke it from orbit.

I'm surprised no one else has suggested that before now. =D

Temperature and humidity need to be controlled.  Air conditioning can be expensive but is probably the best way to assure relative safety for extended periods of absence from the apartment - in other words, set the temp a few degrees lower than your regular setting and increase the fan speed.  Having a few air movers running as well wouldn't hurt, and if you have a trouble spot like the bathroom with normally poor air circulation I would recommend you get a fan in there anyhow.

Dehumidifiers are OK, but 1) need to be emptied/drained regularly or you risk flooding and 2) can be a breeding ground for mold and other gooshy stuff if not properly maintained.  Thus they may not be a good solution for a perios of extended absence.

Beat Momma Nature at her own game - instead of squeezing moisture out of the air allow the air to hold more moisture.  Of course you will need to adapt to living in >99*F and increasing the temp as the humidity (both ambient and in your apartment) increases.  The problem is that there is only a small window between this and creating a jungle.

As regards the individual items that hosted the mold explosion - has the .mil stopped teaching that airing and exposure to sunligt (hanging on the clothesline for a full day) after cleaning the surface is perhaps the best assurance of stopping regrowth?  Of course you might look a bit foolish walking guard duty around your clothesline while your short and long arms soaked in the sunshine.  :rolleyes: :O =D  If you go this route, please send pictures.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:36 AM »
We need a better SITREP,
before we tell you to dust off and lysol it from orbit.

Is this a basement apartment?

Mold spores do not magically bloom into active surface fungus,
there must be an active colony in your walls or under your rugs

Removing this entrenched invasion has condemned structures in the past.

I run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement all summer long.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I have a first floor apartment in a brick building in the middle of the woods.  Therefore, sunlight is not abundant.  If there is a root colony of mold, I haven't found it, although one of my range bags was so bad it may have been the origin.

I am planning on using carpet powder next time I vacuum, although I don't know if this will be sufficient.  I may have to have professionals come in and steam clean the carpets.

The Army taught me to be fastidious in cleaning my weapons and gear, but this caught me by surprise.  Turn and burn though the ambush, I suppose.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
I was resident in a 1940 redbrick apartment in DC in the 90s

The floor/foundation settled over time and a 1/2 inch crack was along the back wall

When I moved out, there was mold under the carpets that came in from the crawlspace under my room.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Don't steam clean the apartment.

The steam cools and stays in the carpet.  More mold.

De-humidifier while home.

Carpet powder is a good idea... maybe add some plain arm and hammer in with it.  AC rather than swamp cooler.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide will knock mold out.  Just put a sprayer on your HP bottle and spray where you have mold.  Tilex makes a great mold killer too but it works off bleach and is a bit strong.  It sure gets the mold out of tile and such though.  Air conditioning is probably the best way to go in your case....chris3

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide will knock mold out.  Just put a sprayer on your HP bottle and spray where you have mold.  Tilex makes a great mold killer too but it works off bleach and is a bit strong.  It sure gets the mold out of tile and such though.  Air conditioning is probably the best way to go in your case....chris3

I used Tilex once.  Tilex in a bathroom with already poor ventilation = breathing hazard.  Couldn't go into the bathroom for several hours, and the entire apartment reeked of Tilex for a day or two.

Standard all-purpose bleach cleaners work almost as well, are cheaper, and don't stink up the place.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »
An AC is also a dehumidifier, so that suggestion is a good one.  

Though, if I came home to MOLD CENTRAL, I'd likely also get a purpose-built dehumidifier and route the water output to a drain.  That is how my folks managed their basements when we lived where basements are common.

Hydrogen peroxide will also bleach out/stain lots of things.

I am not a big fan of carpet powders.

I wonder if there is an additive one can put in a steam cleaner that will kill mold spores in the carpet as it dries?  I think I'd rent a squirrel-cage fan to dry out the carpets real fast after steam cleaning.

Honestly, after living on hardwoods, tile, and vinyl flooring, I'd be hard-pressed to lay down carpet, again.  That stuff is just a dust trap and allergy-vector.  At least with teh hard surfaces, you can see it and remove it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
Thanks again.  I've eliminated the mold I can see, and I'm hoping to mitigate the mold I can't see.  I was disappointed to see the prices of dehumidifiers.  I may have to see if I can find a comparison of dehumidifiers and A/C units as far as electricity use and efficacy, since the prices are pretty much the same.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
Thanks again.  I've eliminated the mold I can see, and I'm hoping to mitigate the mold I can't see.  I was disappointed to see the prices of dehumidifiers.  I may have to see if I can find a comparison of dehumidifiers and A/C units as far as electricity use and efficacy, since the prices are pretty much the same.

That's because a dehumidifier is essentially the same thing as an AC unit.  It works by cooling the air, reducing the air's moisture bearing capabilities, causing condensation that then runs either into a container or down a drain.

With an AC unit, the heat is then dumped outside.  With window units the moisture often drains out there to help cool the radiator.  With dehumidifiers, the cold air is passed directly to the hot side radiator, warming it back up.

Efficiency, energy wise, depends on whether you like the temperature the house is at or not.  If you like the temp, dehumifier.  If it's too hot, AC.  If you're heating and it's too humid you need to get your systems checked.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
here is a link that talks about using borax for mold removal.    http://www.mold-control-on-a-budget.com/documents/43.html

i have used a product called boracare for insect and rot control and had good results.  here is there product with a mold killer. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/boracare-with-moldcare-p-1265.html

the product i used cost over $100 per gallon, but did what they said it would.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
Did you turn your A/C off for the week that you were gone? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »
here is a link that talks about using borax for mold removal.    http://www.mold-control-on-a-budget.com/documents/43.html

i have used a product called boracare for insect and rot control and had good results.  here is there product with a mold killer. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/boracare-with-moldcare-p-1265.html

the product i used cost over $100 per gallon, but did what they said it would.

Huh.. I was thinking about boric acid powder for dry mold control, but had no idea if it would work.
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »
Mech, I've never had A/C in this apartment.  My comfort level for New England weather has been very high after I spent 17 weeks down at Fort Benning a few years ago.

I reviewed my lease and discovered that the property management company offers renters a loan of a dehumidifier upon request, so I got my shiny new machine today.