Author Topic: Need fashion advice - shoes  (Read 7730 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Need fashion advice - shoes
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
I need a pair of shoes that would go well with a suit, but would also go with business casual.  Would black wing-tips be OK?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Need fashion advice - shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
I need a pair of shoes that would go well with a suit, but would also go with business casual.  Would black wing-tips be OK?

What color is your suit?

What do you call business casual? Khakis and a polo shirt or slacks and an oxford?

Shiny black wing-tips not for business casual, least my own opinion. Actually I personally don't like black shoes or black belt for business casual, I'm a matte brown or cordovan kind of person.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:08:08 PM »
I'm no expert, but when we've faced this dilemma, my spouse has gotten cap-toe or plain oxfords in a regular leather finish (neither matte nor highly polished). 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
Thanks, BW.

What color is your suit?

What do you call business casual? Khakis and a polo shirt or slacks and an oxford?

I was thinking khakis, but I was hoping I could use one pair for all three.  The thing is, I don't have a suit and probably don't own any pants (maybe not even any shirts) that would be "business casual."  But I was thinking about getting a job where I might need bus-cas or suits.  And one of my two pair of logger boots just suddenly became un-wearable, so I was thinking of replacing them with a pair of nice shoes. 

I also prefer brown leather, but I'll go with whatever will be most versatile. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:30:22 PM by fistful »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
If you're getting an interview suit, it'll end up being along the lines of navy blue or gray-charcoal, so you'll be in black shoes. Cap-toes go well with a business suit (remember, you're dressing for the job the interviewer has, not the one you're applying for (unless you're applying to be the interviewer's boss)).

Otherwise if you don't plan on wearing the suit much, Timberland makes some pretty comfortable shoes that you can get by with on the interview, but then wear with your khakis and polo. I usually wear brown shoes (Timberlands actually) with my business casual clothes though, since I'm usually in khakis or jeans.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »
Grey, single breasted business suit never go out of style. Black polished plain toe shoes and belt to match. Go hit J.C. Penny's or Men's Warehouse. A good tailor can make a cheap suit look good.

You may also want to pick up a pair of dress slacks and sportcoat for not so formal affairs.

My favorite suit is a tailored wool Lauren grey pin stripped business suit with a blue cotton shirt, black shoes and silk screened tie that is neither conservative or wild.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
For business casual I recommend brown. 

I am a fan of Sperry Topsiders.  If casual/boat looking shoes aren't appropriate they make several dressier styles as well.  Great shoes for the low side of a hundred bucks.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
Wingtips are fine with a suit. Perfect, in fact ... especially if you can find authentic wingtips, and not the pseudo-wingtips most places sell these days.

Loafers for business casual.

Pseudo wingtip design:

Genuine wingtip design:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:12:50 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
Depends on what part of the country you are inhttp://www.lucchese.com/products_detail.php?id=248
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »
Basic smooth, polished black leather dress shoes are Ok with biz casual and can also be worn with a suit.  Full wing tips are ok for the suit, way too much for biz casual.  I tend to think even oxfords or cap toes are too much for casual, unless they're very plain.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:28:46 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

Anywhere you can't wear 'em, you probably don't want to be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
Most versatile dress shoe on the planet, good for black tie (given a spit shine for black tie) on down to business casual, anywhere in the USA:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_590000_1_40000000001_-1?categoryId=123802&top_category=120552

You can pay more money for a nice dress shoe, but you won't find one any more comfortable to wear then Allen Edmunds.

A nice set of western boots are even more versatile where western boots are appreciated (South & West).  A black pair are good from everything from black tie (spit shined with black tie) on down to blue jeans & a t-shirt.

I am not sure how St Louis views western boots.  If they are OK there, the western boots are the most versatile option.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:26:29 PM by jfruser »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »
NO cowboy boots, please.  They cramp my gigantic toes, are too loose on the ankles, and I hate the lack of traction.  They would look funny to St. Louis folk, anyway. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
One way not to get job in Iowa is to wear cowboy boats to the interview.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
RE:  JamisJockey's option:

Only if you spend your off time in your garage drinking beer and shouting out at passers by "I'M RICK JAMES B***!!!"

For "Buisness wear" aka dress slacks and a button down shirt I have pair of these, which work great even when I've spend the day standing on a concrete floor right under the AC vent in the server room.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10051_11205_10601_143170_-1_11205_BLACK_10051

Buisness casual in my wardrobe is brown or tan cargo pants, black or white polo and a pair of these.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/12009M/0/Mens/Radius-Wide-Width?galleryId=M-F

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »
For "Buisness wear" aka dress slacks and a button down shirt I have pair of these, which work great even when I've spend the day standing on a concrete floor right under the AC vent in the server room.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10051_11205_10601_143170_-1_11205_BLACK_10051

I have a pair of Prada's similar to those, I got mine before Prada got uber popular a few years ago.

I just did a price check on Prada shoes, holy cow they are expensive. I paid about what those Floorsheims are listed at now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:42:32 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:16:29 AM »
Thanks, all.  You've given me a decent idea of what to look for.  Any further suggestions welcome.   =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »

Dude -- I have a pair of those in brown I got the last time I got a suit at Men's Wearhouse. I was kinda thinking I was letting the salesman talk (sucker) me into them, but they are the most comfortable dress shoes for "all day" wear I've ever owned.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
Would black wing-tips be OK?
AFAIK, they're good for anything less formal than a tuxedo - wing-tips, that is. Put a shine to 'em if possible. If you want non-shiney shoes, go with suede. Only blue suede if you've got the sideburns and cape for the job.  :laugh:
Black shoes are always acceptable... with the exception of tux & white tie, which require plain toes.

I also prefer brown leather, but I'll go with whatever will be most versatile. 
Brown shoes work okay with navy suits and lighter colors. Dockers has/had a very comfortable pair.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »
If you're looking for a nice-looking, comfortable shoe with good traction, I've had great luck with Sketchers...

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-clothing/men/styles/wide_widths/product/alley_cats_-_extra_wide/dbrn/

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-clothing/brands/skechers_cool_cats_shoes/product/cool_cat_-_pixel_-_extra_wide/b/

For work, I mostly wear New Balance walking shoes...

http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/walking/MW576/

As for cowboy boots....I prefer Roper-type work boots myself....esp. with non-skid soles and heels.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
If you're dressed in an "interview suit" just about any black leather shoes are fine (excluding black leather athletic shoes) as long as they're well maintained (polished).

Seriously, how often do guys look at another guy's shoes?

(Uh oh . . . just realized the interviewer may be female. Or gay. If either is the case and you're going to be judged on the sartorial splendor of your footwear . . . you're hosed.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »
HankB, after I graduated from law school, all three interviews I've had commented on my spit-shined shoes.  Straight males, but all three had military backgrounds, so all three saw properly polished shoes as a sign of attention to detail that they were looking for in an employee.  During trials, especially jury trials, I always spit-shined my shoes.  On more than one occassion, I had older jurors comment on how I was dressed and mentioned my shoes.  Can't sell your case unless you can sell yourself.

I always wore plain-cap toed oxfords.  Black with grey, olive, or black suits, cordovan with grey or blue.  Belts match the shoes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
Seriously, how often do guys look at another guy's shoes?

If the guy is dressed up I check his shoes out to see what he wearing, how much shine there is and does he take care of his shoes. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
If the guy is dressed up I check his shoes out to see what he wearing, how much shine there is and does he take care of his shoes. 

I take the opposite approach.  If his shoes (or belt, or tie) draw your attention away from the rest of himself, he did something wrong.  They should be attractive and tidy, but they should not be a focal point.