Author Topic: Stossel to Fox  (Read 5666 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
Stossel to Fox
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
John Stossel is moving to Fox Business Network with stuff on Fox News, as well.  That is just too awesome.  Personally, I would rather see him replace Glenn Beck but he isn't the overly dramatic, bring in ratings-type.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548989,00.html??test=faces
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Stossel to Fox
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
I saw that news tidbit yesterday. I dont know how Stossel stayed at ABC and 20/20 for so long.

Hopefully, Fox will give him some room to run.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »
I have been puzzled for years that ABC actually allowed him to do what he did.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
I'd love to see him replace Beck.  I don't always agree with John, but he at least avoids hyperbole and backs up his assertions with facts and reason.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
I'd love to see him replace Beck.  I don't always agree with John, but he at least avoids hyperbole and backs up his assertions with facts and reason.
I don't mean to get into a pissing context about Glenn Beck, but what have you seen on his show that is false and unreasonable?

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »
Did he get fired/let-go from ABC or is he quitting?

Its a real shame if he moves because now it will seem that fox is ultra-right wing.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
I don't mean to get into a pissing context about Glenn Beck, but what have you seen on his show that is false and unreasonable?

I haven't watched his TV show, but back when I had XM radio and listened to his show, he supported the idea that metal detectors at malls were a good idea.  I would call that unreasonable.  Pretty much blew his credibility with me right there.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
Its a real shame if he moves because now it will seem that fox is ultra-right wing.

Anyone I know who's left of far right already thinks that.

Chris

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Did he get fired/let-go from ABC or is he quitting?

Now? The left has been frothing at the mouth that Fox is the Official Mouthpiece of Satan for quite some time.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
I like Stossel. Just wish I got Fox News. But I don't want to pay for all the crap channels to get the few I want.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:07:54 AM »

Agreed. Beck has been pretty much right on the money lately. Van Who? That's right, he resigned. Acorn what? Oh that's right, they were just dropped from working the census.

I haven't watched his TV show, but back when I had XM radio and listened to his show, he supported the idea that metal detectors at malls were a good idea.  I would call that unreasonable.  Pretty much blew his credibility with me right there.

Chris

That isn't good to hear. I only listen to people with whom I agree 100% of the time as well.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »
That isn't good to hear. I only listen to people with whom I agree 100% of the time as well.

I'd consider something like metal detectors at mall entrances in response to some BS threat more than than a minor policy disagreement.

You can't blather on about freedom and then say something like that.

And admit it, if Obama had said that you'd be frothing at the mouth right now.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
I'd consider something like metal detectors at mall entrances in response to some BS threat more than than a minor policy disagreement.

You can't blather on about freedom and then say something like that.

Chris

Glenn Beck has "grown" over the last few years.  In Washington-speak that would mean he got more liberal.  In Glenn's case, he has gotten more liberty-oriented over time.

Crazy bastard even references the DoI and the COTUS purt regular on his radio program last time I tuned in.

Still, he is not the "privatize the sidewalks" libertarian type.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »

Not if you watch "Fox and Friends"....they're about as right-wing as Guiliani and McCain....esp. their Friday guest host Gerry Rivers....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
Glenn Beck has "grown" over the last few years.  In Washington-speak that would mean he got more liberal.  In Glenn's case, he has gotten more liberty-oriented over time.

Crazy bastard even references the DoI and the COTUS purt regular on his radio program last time I tuned in.

Still, he is not the "privatize the sidewalks" libertarian type.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the mall metal detectors, but I've listened to him on and off for several years, and he has grown more and more conservative/libertarian. Everything I've ever heard him say about guns was pro-2A. He may not have been as pro in the past, though.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
Yup, the metal detectors thing sounds uncharacteristic of him.  Maybe there was some context that's missing.  Perhaps there's some context to the remark that we're missing here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

I've never been a fan of Beck's, but why should one misguided political commentary make Beck the equal of Obama?  I suspect he is one of those, like O'Reilly, that bought into the facile logic of gun control, as many ignorant people do.  O'Reilly seems to have grown in his understanding of the issue.  Perhaps Beck can, as well.  I would imagine he already has. 

Even Stossel was a statist, once upon a time. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BMacklem

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
It's kind of a shame that Stossel is leaving 20/20 for whatever reason. If he remained there, he had a slightly more mainstream audience that he could actually get to open up their minds a little.
Whenever he did pieces about gun control, he gave VERY concise arguments against the antis reasoning.
Now if he moves to Fox, he's basically preaching to the choir.
I'd rather he was on such a leftist media show to put out some reasoning debates against that hack
Barbara Walters.
I still see red whenever I think about the "experiment" they did with the college class and having the active shooter come in......ugh I can't beleive that she can sleep at night after airing that piece of garbage.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 03:30:54 PM »
Yup, the metal detectors thing sounds uncharacteristic of him.  Maybe there was some context that's missing.  Perhaps there's some context to the remark that we're missing here.

The context was a mall shooting (the one where the guy went in with an AK IIRC).  I only had XM from 2003-2005ish, so that's your timeframe.

I don't have a transcript, but his statement was that he would support malls placing metal detectors at mall entrances to prevent shooters from entering malls.

Chris

Ray

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
And without Stossel on board 20/20 now becomes nothing but frothy fluff and floats off into the air, where the atmosphere becomes too thin to support life. Tragically, all the hosts died of anoxia.
The more I get to know people the more I like my dogs.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
And there was much rejoicing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
I still see red whenever I think about the "experiment" they did with the college class and having the active shooter come in......ugh I can't beleive that she can sleep at night after airing that piece of garbage.

What's hilarious is that despite the set-up, they still came to a fairly pro-gun conclusion - though they themselves couldn't spot it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
My first post was a bit vague.

I liked Stossel because he was a conservative voice outside of Fox News.  So many people ignore fox news as biased, it was nice to have a voice of reason on another network, like ABC.

Fox will be viewed as more right wing -- not because they are more right wing with Stoseel -- but because ABC (and all other media) becomes more left wing without him.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
I'd have been more happy to see him at CNN or another leftist mouthpiece.

As for Beck, he's an entertainer. He says whatever he thinks will get people to listen to his show.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:37 AM »
I think he probably just had enough.  I can't imagine that he was treated very well at ABC.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.